The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Film scores and Dolby Atmos
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

Film scores and Dolby Atmos

What delivery format is given to post (of a film score) when the theatrical release will be in Dolby Atmos?
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

Talk to the re-recording mixer!

In my recent home theater mixing experience, many parts of the music stem sound best in the beds, so the majority of a music delivery to an Atmos mix wouldn't be any different than 5.1 or 7.1. But there are a handful of things (largely depending on the style of the score) that would benefit from being objects.

Even on 5.1 TV mixes I get frustrated when a composer sends me mixed stereo vocals. Vocals on a song (and especially visual vocals where the singer is onscreen), benefit enormously if they're delivered to the stage with a legit center channel. So I request at least LCR.

Technical specs are a Pro Tools session at 48k/24-bit. No plug-ins, all faders at unity.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

For theatrical features, talk to the re-recording mixer!

We have been delivering 7.1.2. (.2 being a top bed,) You will not be delivering ATMOS files but stems in a Pro Tools session. We are now experimenting with 7.1.4 (top quadrants) but only at the re-recording mixer's blessing/experimentation. Still only as stems in a session (not an ATMOS render or file.) A 7.1 plus Quad per stem.

But you have to have proper monitoring first.

I know of scores that have been full ATMOS but they were mixed (re-mixed) in the dub theater with their objects brought in as mono files. This obviously takes dub theater time. That is a very rare thing. And some of that was done at Dolby's request. This is not normal in the least.

Most deliveries are 7.1 only.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Maniac

I mixed and recorded a pure orchestral score for the Danish Movie "in love and war" last year. With the re-recording mixer we agreed on the following:

7.1 and 4.0 Stems for the height channels.

Since I recorded the score with Atmos in mind, I mic`ed the ceiling with a quad array around the conductors head, which was basically the 4.0 Stem. As this score pure orchestral with all live instruments, there was no need to deliver individual files or stems, but we broke the orchestral recordings down to Decca/Surround Stem, Section Mics, and close mics and reverb only. This way, they could adjust or use their own Reverbs in the Atmos mix.

hope this helps,
Nico
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
For theatrical features, talk to the re-recording mixer!

We have been delivering 7.1.2. (.2 being a top bed,) You will not be delivering ATMOS files but stems in a Pro Tools session. We are now experimenting with 7.1.4 (top quadrants) but only at the re-recording mixer's blessing/experimentation. Still only as stems in a session (not an ATMOS render or file.) A 7.1 plus Quad per stem.

as far as i know dolby atmos is 7.1.2 plus objects

does it mean that the .4 quad ceiling mix will be treated by rerecording mixer as 4 objects?
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

From what I understand, is the ATMOS theatrical front set of top speakers (front-most region in Dolby-speak) will be addressed with large objects to match the front top speakers in the score mix room. Then the side region top speakers will be sent the score-mix room's "rear" top speakers. There's to be no object movement in our top speaker quad output but stereo/all quad movement is allowed (so like the stereo field/quad field rotating front to back.)
There is a fairly confident plan of application by the dub mixers (which I'm not) and it started with their suggestion after a previous film and them seeing the score-mix room setup.
It'll be interesting how it turns out and the recordings are being done with this in mind.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post

does it mean that the .4 quad ceiling mix will be treated by rerecording mixer as 4 objects?
Dolby Atmos can be anything from 5.1.2 to a 64 channel installation.
I think what you are talking about is the bed format, which is 7.1.2. If you want to go to a higher loudspeaker layout, or want to adress speakers in such a layout individually, you need to use the objects.

And yes, the Quad track was asigned to 4 Obejects by the re recording mixer and placed in the ceiling speakers.
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

Most deliveries we get in atmos drop the x.x.2 from the beds and exclusively use objects.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post

Old 7th November 2019
Almost always 5.1 stems

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search