The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many here are using Nuendo for their work DAW?
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
That might work for you personally, but to not be capable to operate the standard toolset an industry is using is generally not the best career advice, no matter what industry.
...and I am not alone!
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Not sure how that would be done. I suppose maybe there's a key command for selecting preset cycle markers etc so..
Maybe there is a go to last selection (as it is if you set different channel agents to view say VCA Spills. then you can go back to the last view setting of what you had before with a Key-Command.

anyway, the write to loops end is not the most important thing, would not be a deal-breaker for me.

What needs to come however (in both ProTools and Nuendo) is a separate timeline for Automation Boundries that initially is synced to the loop, but that can be set to "individual" and then the cycle-loops is one thing but you can have automation boundaries where ever you want them to have. then you have a write to loop (as it is now), a write to all (which goes to the entire project, exept if you have the boundaries on), and the write to start / write to end goes to the project start and end or, if the boundaries are on, to the boundaries start and end. Left from the start boundary and on the right side of the End-boundry all your datas are safe. So easy, and that thing was there in any automation system in the 80's, but it is not there neither in ProTools nor in Nuendo.

D.
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

If you read my post again you'll see that you built that straw man all yourself.

I just said that not knowing the industry standard is not a good career choice generally.
Everything else you're reading into it. So absolutely no need to get defensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
It's funny that the devout PT people just assume those who choose other platforms aren't also skilled in PT. Is it because they have never used anything else themselves and assume the same of everyone?

Example: I have a PT Op certification, and choose to never use it... and the client's generally don't care. My career is doing quite well.

You have to admit... this is genius marketing by the old guard.
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by idee und klang View Post
That might well be the case, thanks, good point. I'll check that.

Thanks,
Dl
It seems it does not work without setting an initial automation value. However I found out that the problem is only if you have VCA's.
If you don't have VCA's it works without setting the initial value. But with VCA, if you make your mix without automation until you are satisfied, then go to cue 2 with Autofill to loop and change levels (in write mode of course) then it does the right levels for your cue 2, but your song 1 is killed. And you can not even get it back by undo. Without VCA's all Is ok. With VCA's: If you set the initial automation parameter you seem to be saved, but it created a lot of control curves in the session.

What I will check: If it works if I just set manually a initial automation parameter on the VCA.

But for my understanding, which in terms of Automationssystem is most likely not the worst on the planet - it is not logic.

Cheers,
Daniel
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Addict
Here is my problem graphically, and I would really like to understand the logic of this.

I'll add two screenshots from my test session.
Pic 1: Until now everything was unautomated. Look to the Sax, the level of the track (without Automation) was set to be - 19 db or so.
My next step (that is already prepared in Pic 1, is to set automation to loop, and put read and write in).

Now Pic two:
The next process is that I set my loop for cue 2. I move the sax Level to about - 10 db. It does that for the entire selection, thats right, but it kills my cue 1.

So far the only way I found to avoid this is to set the initial Automation Values. Or then I had to work without VCA's which would not be possible. But setting all initial parameter seems also not be so practical. About halve the Nuendo user are telling me that I indeed do have to set that initial Automation Value, but the other halve is telling me that I don't have to do so. Not easy. And for sure not explained well in the manual.

Thanks
Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
How many here are using Nuendo for their work DAW?-pic-1.jpg   How many here are using Nuendo for their work DAW?-pic-1.jpg  
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
If it works if I just set manually a initial automation parameter on the VCA.
Sorry for not pointing this out earlier, but there's a bug in the VCA implementation so for VCA usage you should definitely use initial automation nodes at the top of your project's timeline. Just to protect yourself from unwanted effects.
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Here is my problem graphically,
same picture by mistake?
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I've been told exactly this for the last 30+ years. It's no more true today than it was then. I've spent those 30 years working steadily in post. I rarely use PT.
Video Or Audio Post? It wasn't that usual to only see hardware in 1989 when you apparently started. In 2009 not being versed in the top 3 working DAWs - even in Post Video severely limited your opportunities. In 2019 we only have to be capable of working in 5 or 6 Audio DAWs and 5 Video Programs in Post.

If you survived making a full time living without ProTools you are very lucky indeed. I and most of the people we employ do not have that luxury.
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
same picture by mistake?
by mistake, or by stupidness, or by being to tired, whatever, yes, the 2nd pic is that here: first song killed...
Attached Thumbnails
How many here are using Nuendo for their work DAW?-pic-2.jpg  
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
by mistake, or by stupidness, or by being to tired, whatever, yes, the 2nd pic is that here: first song killed...
I'm at work right now and don't have time reading through your post, but if that was done using VCAs then it seems that you just ran into the VCA bug that I'm aware of. It's not supposed to be like that. If and when it gets fixed is anybody's guess.

So for VCAs you'll need the automation nodes at the beginning of the timeline otherwise this might be exactly what you end up with (and it sucks).

For other situations you should be ok without the nodes and also not using virgin territory.

Feel free to tell people at Steinberg that this particular bug is still there and still sucks.
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
I'm at work right now and don't have time reading through your post, but if that was done using VCAs then it seems that you just ran into the VCA bug that I'm aware of. It's not supposed to be like that. If and when it gets fixed is anybody's guess.

So for VCAs you'll need the automation nodes at the beginning of the timeline otherwise this might be exactly what you end up with (and it sucks).

For other situations you should be ok without the nodes and also not using virgin territory.

Feel free to tell people at Steinberg that this particular bug is still there and still sucks.
I will tell them. Yes, indeed, Bugs happen, in all software, but that one is a hard one. It gets so confusingly complex with so many Automation lanes, that this creates. Although you can quickly close them, I like to control the lines that actually have changing datas. If for every Plugin in the session there is a automation lane because you set the parameter, is there then an easy way to only show langes with datas that change?

By the way my volume change that I made for Cue 2 I did this with the volume Fader of the Saxophon track, not with the volume fader of the VCA for the Sax. But it seems that as you point out, working with VCA than you have to set all those initial points.

thanks,
Daniel
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
By the way my volume change that I made for Cue 2 I did this with the volume Fader of the Saxophon track, not with the volume fader of the VCA for the Sax. But it seems that as you point out, working with VCA than you have to set all those initial points.

thanks,
Daniel
Yeah, it doesn't just happen when you adjust the VCA channel only, it also happens when the audio track is connected to any VCA and adjusting the audio track.

There's at least a thread you can dig through on the official forum that will explain it.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Video Or Audio Post? It wasn't that usual to only see hardware in 1989 when you apparently started. In 2009 not being versed in the top 3 working DAWs - even in Post Video severely limited your opportunities. In 2019 we only have to be capable of working in 5 or 6 Audio DAWs and 5 Video Programs in Post.

If you survived making a full time living without ProTools you are very lucky indeed. I and most of the people we employ do not have that luxury.
I don't agree with anything you said, and it has not been true in my experience. The scope of work you are looking at is too small. I don't care what anyone uses to do whatever work they do where ever they do it. But I will repeat that the blanket statements about all or most or any work having to be done in PT and that outside of that exists the void are not and have never been true. (But there are those who wish it to be true...and promote this view....out of fear?)
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't just happen when you adjust the VCA channel only, it also happens when the audio track is connected to any VCA and adjusting the audio track.

There's at least a thread you can dig through on the official forum that will explain it.
Ah.. I'd knew about a VCA Bug that is strange, but thought that as long as the VCA's are not automated I would not have that. Wrong thought.
d.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I don't agree with anything you said, and it has not been true in my experience. The scope of work you are looking at is too small. I don't care what anyone uses to do whatever work they do where ever they do it. But I will repeat that the blanket statements about all or most or any work having to be done in PT and that outside of that exists the void are not and have never been true. (But there are those who wish it to be true...and promote this view....out of fear?)
I didn’t say anything about all or most work being done in Protools - I said you’ve been very lucky to have worked and never touched PT. That is if you are making your living in Music or Video.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
... I said you’ve been very lucky to have worked and never touched PT. That is if you are making your living in Music or Video.
I don't qualify, since I have touched ProTools. But I've definitely made a good living in video/film sound. Here's how I got lucky:

I moved from CMX Cass control of analog decks and VTR in the mid-1980s, to one of the first dedicated-tower-controller DAWs in the early 1990s. My clients and I loved it. But by the early 2000s its development hadn't kept up, and I had a big theatrical feature coming.

Fortunately by this point I had some credibility, so I asked my dealer to set me up with long demo sessions with post experts from both Digi and Steiny. Nuendo looked a lot faster and flexible for my kind of post (heavy edits plus mix), but I wanted to give them a fair trial, so bought host-based versions of each. I ended up doing my work in Nuendo, and using PT just to check compatibility if the project was then going to a PT-only studio.

I kept updating PT for a few more years, just to be sure. Then I dropped it. Nuendo ever since. Clients don't even ask what I'm using... they just want to know if I have time for them.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn’t say anything about all or most work being done in Protools - I said you’ve been very lucky to have worked and never touched PT. That is if you are making your living in Music or Video.
I touch PT frequently, but only when I really need to. I make most of my living in audio post, like most folks on this forum. I'm lucky in many ways, but far from unique, and less so every day.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Addict
VCA's in Nuedo

After some more tests there is another solution to the strange VCA Bug.

One solution mentioned is to create initial automation evens at the start of the session for every parameter, that's easy, as there is a command for that in the Automation window. But it gives you automation lanes for every parameter, but in most sessions I don't find this useful, as there will be parameters in plugins that you won't change over an session. (Or if you do it is totally ok if then just creates automation lanes for that parameters that you changed for that cue, but it must leave whatever is before as it was. Which with plugins and sends that seems to work in Nuendo, so there is no need to create lanes for every parameter. (or do I miss something? ))

To avoid the VCA Bug it is enough to just have a Volume-Automation Point at the start of the volume tracks (on the VCA Tracks it is not necessary). Or then, in my case, I do kind of a static "Basic-mix" for an entire project first. Now I would just after my Roughmix is finished make an Selection of all cues and write the volumes with my static premix with fill to selection on. It then creates a volume-automation-lane on the tracks with the value of my premix. Then I am good to go to automate cue by cue. I like that workaround more, as it does not create so much automation lanes. Volume lanes I would anyway have for all my audio tracks. I'll try to create a Macro for that.

Daniel

Last edited by idee und klang; 15th December 2019 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Guru

Yeah that's what I was trying to say.
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yeah that's what I was trying to say.
ah, ok, didn't got that.
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear

Using nuendo 8. Thoughts on Things you most like about the upgrade from 8 to 10 anyone?
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Using nuendo 8. Thoughts on Things you most like about the upgrade from 8 to 10 anyone?
Everything... pretty big upgrade actually. The new video engine tops the list for me. Love the ADR tools (scene panel, and control room routing, and Auto-Align).

I could keep going, but those alone are worth the upgrade.
Old 31st December 2019
I provide support to a dozen or so composers. One uses Nuendo, one uses DP, and the rest use Logic. The Nuendo guy has been using it from it's beginning I think. But he hates the interface in versions 8 and 10, and refuses to stop using v7. I can't say exactly what he hates about it, and maybe it's just that it is too much of a change from what he's used to. The new mixer layout does seem a bit unintuitive to me, but I don't use it day in and day out. I wish that he would move forward though, because v7 has some problems with Quicktime movies that were resolved in v8. It seems like Nuendo 10.2 is finally catching up to Cubase now, including true video export (not just replacing the audio in an existing video file), which is huge.
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear
Nuendo’s UI is incredibly customizable. I’ve been using essentially the same look and feel since N8, with just the new stuff that I want showing in N10. Same kbd shortcuts, same workflow... the only significant change is how it handles off-line (clip) processors, which is now more flexible, faster, has user multi-effect recipes, and individual fx in a chain can be turned off without having to start from zero. Meanwhile, so much new stuff to like.

The version upgrade is very reasonably priced, and there’s no charge or subscription for the regular feature updates until the next major version. Why not upgrade?
Old 31st December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
The version upgrade is very reasonably priced, and there’s no charge or subscription for the regular feature updates until the next major version. Why not upgrade?
Not sure if this was a reply to my post, but he has upgraded to 8 and now 10, but mostly continues to use v7 (on Mac). I certainly can't force him to change, though doubtless there will come a time when a combination of hardware and OS upgrades will make v7 no longer functional.
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post
Not sure if this was a reply to my post, but he has upgraded to 8 and now 10, but mostly continues to use v7 (on Mac). I certainly can't force him to change...
No worries. I was actually responding to slightly earlier
Quote:
Using Nuendo 8. Thoughts on Things you most like about the upgrade from 8 to 10 anyone?
which I inferred was that poster was trying to decide whether to upgrade.
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post
Not sure if this was a reply to my post, but he has upgraded to 8 and now 10, but mostly continues to use v7 (on Mac). I certainly can't force him to change...
No worries. I was actually responding to slightly earlier
Quote:
Using Nuendo 8. Thoughts on Things you most like about the upgrade from 8 to 10 anyone?
from which I inferred that poster was trying to decide whether to upgrade.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

All good points.

Should say that in my case (doing mostly music recording/mixing, and very little film work)
...the auto-align, and possibly vocal processing features seem to top the list of worth the upgrade price.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
It's funny that the devout PT people just assume those who choose other platforms aren't also skilled in PT. Is it because they have never used anything else themselves and assume the same of everyone?
They are just fanboys, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post

I just said that not knowing the industry standard is not a good career choice generally.
The industry standard is your ears
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search