The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many here are using Nuendo for their work DAW?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
The PT functions themselves are not editable, but their mapping onto a EuCon surface is. EuCon integration is very deep now.

That is one thing I hope that will be nicer on Nuendo. There are in ProTools a lot of EU Con things that you can lay on somewhere, but there are also some things that are not there. I would wish ProTools had Macros. What is great on Protools, it somehow can do really everything.
Daniel
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can build macros via Eucon.
Even with an old iPad and th PT Control app you can fill your layouts with lots of functions.
Also, Soundflower with a Streamdeck is used by some for this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl View Post
You can build macros via Eucon.
Even with an old iPad and th PT Control app you can fill your layouts with lots of functions.
Also, Soundflower with a Streamdeck is used by some for this.
How would you program macros with Econ on an iPad? Did I miss something? Lets say I want a macro that turns on my Group with the ID Key a. As far as I understand, EU Control gives you what they give you. Not more and not less.

Soundflower sounds interessting, I have to test that one! The question is: will it let me program things that I need or do they provide you with some programmed things?
Ie the command: "write automation to see and disable preview", that won't work in ProTools, as it is busy. If you are in dynamic transport mode (which most would be) and use this command, it would write it to the loop selection as long as there is any selection in the timeline (even at another length), but if there is no selection it writes it accidentally to the entire session. So the command would have to be edited, so that it writes to all on stop (that one always works) and then disables preview. Would that work?

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by idee und klang View Post
How would you program macros with Econ on an iPad? Did I miss something? Lets say I want a macro that turns on my Group with the ID Key a. As far as I understand, EU Control gives you what they give you. Not more and not less.

Soundflower sounds interessting, I have to test that one! The question is: will it let me program things that I need or do they provide you with some programmed things?
Ie the command: "write automation to see and disable preview", that won't work in ProTools, as it is busy. If you are in dynamic transport mode (which most would be) and use this command, it would write it to the loop selection as long as there is any selection in the timeline (even at another length), but if there is no selection it writes it accidentally to the entire session. So the command would have to be edited, so that it writes to all on stop (that one always works) and then disables preview. Would that work?

D.
just realizing that the shortcut with the group might be a bad exemple as I think to remember that EU Control ready allows that. What I mean is, as far as I can tell, wathever EU Control does not have is not there and it can not be programmed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Atleast with the S6, you can stack multiple Eucon commands and key commands to each softkey.

As for the other question, I have a button on my s6 setup to Write to selected and exit preview with on Press and that is a pretty simple example.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by idee und klang View Post

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You should be abke to set those up with the Eucontrol settings on your Mac/PC, where you can assign fader layouts and change softkeys for Artist etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Atleast with the S6, you can stack multiple Eucon commands and key commands to each softkey.

As for the other question, I have a button on my s6 setup to Write to selected and exit preview with on Press and that is a pretty simple example.

Randall
Yes, on the S6 there are some nice things. But I mix music mostly and decided to not replace my D-Control 32 ES (that had a lot of great "Macro's", if you want to say so on the soft-keys) with an S6, but rather I decided to go with a large analog Cadac G Console, that I also use for LCR mixing or the orchestras. It is pain in the ass to print all the Stems, but we go for that additional effort, at least at the moment. That said, I am forced to use an S3 with a Dock, as that is the maximum size of Controllers that I can have on the console. Fact is, that there are some things missing for my workflow. Not a big deal, but just why I am open to try other stuff. Well knowing that most likely there won't be any chance to mix a 250 track or more scoring session in a native DAW, even not with a new Mac Pro. Here is where ProTools HDXII System is hard to be beaten.
Daniel
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
You should be abke to set those up with the Eucontrol settings on your Mac/PC, where you can assign fader layouts and change softkeys for Artist etc.
There are limits. There are things in the menus that I need often, but they don't have a shortcut and they don't have a command in the EU Control Software. As I work on a large format analog console I am stuck to a S3 with a Dock Controller in my main room. Fader Layouts don't work, as it simply takes too long to build them. It is far better on the S6. On the S3 if you have the dock with the iPad, the way it should be is easy, select all tracks on the iPad, then let the user store a layout. But the way it is: In the EU Software, you have to say for every single fader what it shall show in the given Layout. If you have 250 tracks and for every Layout and in that for every single fader you have to scroll down because on a 24" display only about the first 30 tracks or so are shown, well, that is just more than annoying, it is not practically. Not complaining here too much, but the S3 is a controller that is used by many scoring mixers, including at abbey Road Studios sometimes, and there are things that should be programmed a little bit more user friendly. Speed nowadays is important. Many things work great for little sessions up to 64 tracks but not with 250 tracks. Hope to see an improvement on the next updates.

Cheers,
D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Daniel that is right of course... I wasn‘t aware you were looking for deep integration.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Daniel that is right of course... I wasn‘t aware you were looking for deep integration.
My goal is to get a system that is extremly fast and a system in which I can have all songs/cues in one session. I sometimes need to have mixed a complex session with several cues in a very short time.

I realize that after a certain complexity, I might have to use ProTools, and after using it more than 25 yers, before it was called protools, I also know how to deal with it. But it is a dinosaurier. And it is no a days so complex that some parts of the software simply don't work together with other parts of the software nicely anymore. In Nuendo there are already so much cool features, that I like. The ability fo fix tracks to the right (or left) in the mixer. VCA Spill in just the software without a console, great for mobility. The VCA Spill function can easily be let to a shortcut. The ability to then right after your moves on the Spills go back. Different consoles. A cool way of snapshots, that is perfectly for my Jazz-Mixing, as the snapshot works without the automation system. But then, set all tracks to write, write to loop after the stop, and "load" those snapshot to one part of the song only - so easy - so good - so nice! Automation write to loop after stop is with parameter smoothing already... Just little things. Again, I will come to some things that are not ideal, for sure. It is more, I think it is interessting to learn some new DAW, that keeps me young.
Cheers,
D.

Last edited by idee und klang; 2 weeks ago at 09:33 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
idee und klang, thanks for nudging this thread back to Nuendo.

PT users, if you want to discuss workarounds or hardware, why not start a new thread so other users can find you?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Anyone using it in a situation where they require you to send the "Pro Tools" session?

How is that handled?
I offer them a discount to accept AAF exports with stem mixes of parts. Anything to avoid having the work in *** The application Pro Tools has quit unexpectedly ***

Running Nuendo for the last three years and love it. PT12 sits untouched for weeks. Most of clients don't ask for PT sessions, and are happy with stems. While I understand why some projects would require that, I'm lucky enough to spend a lot of time working on projects that don't.

Why do I feel this way? Stability. ADR System. Audio Alignment Panel. It doesn't crash. Fade handles and clip gain workflow. Midi Sequencing. Loudness Track. Etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Last spec I saw here in the US that mandated a PT session said a session with stems summing to the mixes. It didn't say anything about retaining plugins or automation or anything. So in such a scenario it's fairly easy to just do the work in Nuendo and dump files into PT and save (with proper routing).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Update on my research for a 2nd DAW:

Visibility was always a big concern for me (and it was something I never considered as to be good in ProTools. Workable, yes, but good? No. ). If you have several Cues in one session and over 100 tracks, easy, fast and more important intelligent organization would be a key feature, wouldn't it. And let's face it, the way that works in Nuendo is second to none. I would have not expected such clever features. You can even program visibility agents. Show tracks that have active datas in your current cycle locator! Show tracks that have datas on your cursor locator. In ProTools, if you are on the software without a good controller, you would have to program memory locations for visibility, which takes a lot of time and you don't get much love by the assistant that you have chosen to get that job done. As soon as you duplicate or add tracks, you should not forget to update, but you will forget. Well that thing here is clearly way better on Nuendo, nice one.

As for my Lab-top System, which I use to teach students mostly, I think it already is rather sure that this will be Nuendo. I also tested Reaper and Studio One. Studio one is not enough powerful in terms of automation and Reaper seems to be a DAW that can do a lot, but you have to custom it a lot and I never really came into a level I was fast. With Nuendo I was able to mix a Jazz-Song right away and whatever I needed to know I found very fast in the online manual. Similar to ProTools, a professional mixer can work fast in Nuendo, and that too is a key feature for me.

Daniel
www.danieldettwiler.com
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
If you are looking for a DAW with the least mistakes, i think you are barking up the wrong tree with Nuendo. Maybe in recent years it's gotten better but yikes the first decade was rough.had to jump ship.

You should give N10 a spin. Steinberg certainly seem to be capitalising on Avid's complacency. ADR and Foley cuing. Audio alignment. It even includes Anymix Pro as standard. There are more better quality new features in N10 alone than Avid have probably added to Pro Tools in the last half a decade.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
You should give N10 a spin. Steinberg certainly seem to be capitalising on Avid's complacency. ADR and Foley cuing. Audio alignment. It even includes Anymix Pro as standard. There are more better quality new features in N10 alone than Avid have probably added to Pro Tools in the last half a decade.
I honestly don't know where I would hire employee s that know how to use the DAW. I wouldn't mixer checking it out again, I own n1 thought N3, but I just have zero editors that use it and zero sound designers that use it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Last spec I saw here in the US that mandated a PT session said a session with stems summing to the mixes. It didn't say anything about retaining plugins or automation or anything. So in such a scenario it's fairly easy to just do the work in Nuendo and dump files into PT and save (with proper routing).
No retaining plugins, but the PT session needs to be frozen!!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
No retaining plugins, but the PT session needs to be frozen!!
Not sure what you mean by that. Can you be more specific?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
I honestly don't know where I would hire employee s that know how to use the DAW. I wouldn't mixer checking it out again, I own n1 thought N3, but I just have zero editors that use it and zero sound designers that use it.

Totally! But it is also a self-fulfilling prophesy. They probably edit and sound design in pro tools because they think it is the only way they can get a job. I use Pro Tools as well. That is what surprised me the most about N10. Ostensibly, we are no longer using the better tool for the job... but rather, a tool that will get us a job.

I just wonder how much longer Avid can actually bank on that being the case!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Just FYI, Netflix doesn't ask specifically for protools sessions, you can deliver a nuendo session to. This was even thinkable a few years ago...
Old 5 days ago
ProTools use to rule the post market but that is no longer, IMHO, the case. There are lots of alternatives.

As to getting work with ProTools a voice over company we worked with recently threatened us with no more work unless we switched over to ProTools. I refused and sad to say they, not us, are now out of business along with the post company they were part of. They could not adapt and went out of business. A word to the wise. FWIW
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
ProTools use to rule the post market but that is no longer, IMHO, the case. There are lots of alternatives.

As to getting work with ProTools a voice over company we worked with recently threatened us with no more work unless we switched over to ProTools. I refused and sad to say they, not us, are now out of business along with the post company they were part of. They could not adapt and went out of business. A word to the wise. FWIW
In LA, if you don't know Pro Tools, you don't work.
They still rule the roost!!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that. Can you be more specific?
Technically track freeze in Protools, thats my requirement with Netflix.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Technically track freeze in Protools, thats my requirement with Netflix.
Netflix' requirement or just your procedure in-house?

To me this sort of comes back to practical consequences when accessing the delivered "mix" again. Unless the studio used has exactly the same plugins we're looking at using stems instead. I think track freeze in PT is effectively almost exactly equivalent to stems unless we're able to unfreeze with all the processing intact.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Netflix' requirement or just your procedure in-house?

To me this sort of comes back to practical consequences when accessing the delivered "mix" again. Unless the studio used has exactly the same plugins we're looking at using stems instead. I think track freeze in PT is effectively almost exactly equivalent to stems unless we're able to unfreeze with all the processing intact.
Netflix requires.

I wouldn't do it unless it was required.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Netflix requires.

I wouldn't do it unless it was required.
Interesting...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting...
My best year EVER due to Netflix, they can have what they want!!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

i heard nuendo can open pro tools files now one more reason to switch cross format compatibility
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC_MAN View Post
i heard nuendo can open pro tools files now
It most certainly cannot.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC_MAN View Post
i heard nuendo can open pro tools files now one more reason to switch cross format compatibility
No it can't, but you can use AATranslator to convert a PT session to Steinberg XML. A bit hit and miss for me though, but many have used it successfully.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search