The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many here are using Nuendo for their work DAW?
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/dialogue-match.html
On the first product page there is a link "not a protools user?" click it and you get to thee mini user survey.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Just wondering how many here are now using Nuendo for their work DAW vs ProTools?
Nuendo user here, i only use protools in front of people that think PT is better cause they heard it was better in 1992 lol. processors and memory have improved so much its not much of a difference anymore. heck macs are running windows now
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

4 Studios running Nuendo 10 including one with Nuage.
We do TV Post for serial and feature formats as well as nonfictional doks and shows.
Nuendo is an everyday work beast.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi - One Production room running Nuendo still. I started with Nuendo years ago version 2 - and it's just stuck around. We are primarily a Logic Pro X and Final Cut X house. But I have 3 clients that are Nuendo based. So they go to Room 4 these days. Everyone else uses the Rooms with Logic and Final Cut.
Old 4 weeks ago
I use it from time to time, but only for the smaller projects like commercials or something similar. It's more like not to forget it then I prefer something in it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

currently trying to incorporate nuendo and artist control. wish me luck
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I am a ProTools Veteran. We are doing scoring work for German cinema movies here. However today I downloaded Nuendo to test it. I am ready for a move. Why? There are too many mistakes (yes, mistakes, not bugs) in ProTools. They were all reproduced not only by the local Protools Dealer, I even had a meeting with guys from Avid Germany, who could not believe it, but have to agree. However is there a change? Well not with Avid. So let it be the change. I will see what Nuendo can do, see how powerful it can be (compared to an HDX System, I can not imagine it can be as powerful, but I will try.) I don't sell the ProTools, but I will work on Nuendo, first on smaller project, obviously to learn it, and they just see where the way is going to.

Daniel
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idee und klang View Post
I am a ProTools Veteran. We are doing scoring work for German cinema movies here. However today I downloaded Nuendo to test it. I am ready for a move. Why? There are too many mistakes (yes, mistakes, not bugs) in ProTools. They were all reproduced not only by the local Protools Dealer, I even had a meeting with guys from Avid Germany, who could not believe it, but have to agree. However is there a change? Well not with Avid. So let it be the change. I will see what Nuendo can do, see how powerful it can be (compared to an HDX System, I can not imagine it can be as powerful, but I will try.) I don't sell the ProTools, but I will work on Nuendo, first on smaller project, obviously to learn it, and they just see where the way is going to.

Daniel
If you are looking for a DAW with the least mistakes, i think you are barking up the wrong tree with Nuendo. Maybe in recent years it's gotten better but yikes the first decade was rough.had to jump ship.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What do you mean by mistakes? There are many things I don't like about how ProTools works, but I think they were programmed to be the way they are intentionally, ie are not mistakes...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
If you are looking for a DAW with the least mistakes, i think you are barking up the wrong tree with Nuendo. Maybe in recent years it's gotten better but yikes the first decade was rough.had to jump ship.
depends on perspective: i came from fairlight/dyaxis and went with nuendo early on for it's surround capability, 'cause it was never tied to any specific hardware, had no need for tdm plugins and run on pc - imo the first decade on protools was rough and i had to jump ship! maybe in recent years it got better?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...i came from fairlight/dyaxis...
OMG! I still have the original IMS Dyaxis, 2-ch editor, and the Hard Drive I was using with it - a 4U SCSI box allowing for 105 MB of storage!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
There are too many mistakes (yes, mistakes, not bugs) in ProTools.
Just out of curiosity, could you list some of those mistakes, or give a short description?
In my career, I never worked with a perfect device, be it mixing desk, EQ, Dynamics... I just learned to use some of them in a better way than the others, and that would make them ideal for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
OMG! I still have the original IMS Dyaxis, 2-ch editor, and the Hard Drive I was using with it - a 4U SCSI box allowing for 105 MB of storage!
We still have a Fairlight MFX3+ sitting around. I think it has a VRAM issue and won't start. We'll probably remove it when we get round to re-doing our machine room though.
But yeah, when we started using Nuendo we were coming from Fairlight machines, and Nuendo was the software that came closest to that sort of ergonomics and features, for a much lower price, and could use any third party hardware from the get go. As we were into MADI at the time for our mix stage, it was a no-brainer at a time where PT did not have any MADI interfaces, and you had to pay through the nose to get the 128 outputs I was getting frmm the Nuendo rig.
But that's the past. Now PT has MADI too at a decent price. (just kidding, the HD MADI interface was the most outrageously overpriced piece of gear ever).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Just out of curiosity, could you list some of those mistakes, or give a short description?
In my career, I never worked with a perfect device, be it mixing desk, EQ, Dynamics... I just learned to use some of them in a better way than the others, and that would make them ideal for me.
There are some things in ProTools that are mistakes that I don't accept anymore.

Here just some expemples:

1) in about 70% or all Plugins today, the manufactors don't get the latch automation right. Try the following: Use a Softube Plugin, do something in latch mode with the Write to all after pressing stop enabled. Now play it back. During the playback lets say you want to see the curve of the automation you just record. You would click control and command and press on the parameter. What a AAX Plugin is supposed to do is to show the curve. What it must absolutely not do is that it engages a write command. But it does. Your nice Automation move is now overwritten. There are plugin that even engage a write command (if latch is engaged) if you just open the plugin. Avid knows the problem and it would be easy to fix. There was one Plugin Manufactor (DMG) that immediately agreed and fixed it. But normally most plugin manufactors don't understand the problem, Softtube needed two years (!) to understand the problem and admit that it was a real problem. Avid says it is not their problem. Here is the Problem, if I was Avid and such a problem is out there, I would get in contact and solve the problem togehter with my plug-ind 3rd party developers. I am in discussion with several score and movie mixers, they said they just use the Avid Plugins, then they don't have that problem.

2) there are problems with the Licensing, I had 3 serious problems the last 4 months, it did not recognized the license any more. My freelance engineer that was recording the first time it happens had to rent a one month license. Checking later the problem with avid support, they could not explain why it happened, agreed that it must be their mistake and immediately paid the money back to the freelance engineer. But now it happened again.

There is way more that is not ok, just too much for me. If you go to the restaurant you often are and you eat bad food, you will tell the guys there that it was not good. But you come again, **** can happen. If it is not good for 3 or more time you might just not go anymore.

We just had enough issues the last months that I am ready to look for alternatives. That does not mean I will sell my ProTools Systems, no, but it means that I take the effort to do some projects on an alternative system and just see how it goes. Yes there will also be troubles with other systems. But, as it is already with Merging / Pyramix, if you find out some serious issues I need to be able to phone with somebody, show them the issue and then it needs to be fixed in a time that makes sense..
Thats it.
Daniel
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Daniel, regarding #1 , the market is littered with poorly coded plug-ins that were made for the music market and don't behave well in post (I emailed SoundToys every few months for years on this topic and gave up). You have to use good plug-ins. Apart from that, I do understand the automation view issue, but it's a rare case. I think very few mixers bother to look at plug-in automation lines. Much easier to look at your control surface for that.

Give us a report on your Nuendo experience after you've had some time on it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Daniel, regarding #1 , the market is littered with poorly coded plug-ins that were made for the music market and don't behave well in post (I emailed SoundToys every few months for years on this topic and gave up). You have to use good plug-ins. Apart from that, I do understand the automation view issue, but it's a rare case. I think very few mixers bother to look at plug-in automation lines. Much easier to look at your control surface for that.

Give us a report on your Nuendo experience after you've had some time on it.
Agreed, but still it is not alright. Yes, poorly coded plugins should not be in a plugin Folder for scoring mixes. But, yes, as you said sound toys, I want to be able to use those in a scoring session. And it is not few, but more than halfe of all manufactures, mostly it is annoying with Softtube, as there are not so many that do AAX DSP Plugs, and I would like to use those. The reason why I often want to look to the Curve is, because there are also issues with the Automation write to all function. (press back and play, and your selection is gone, the next write goes to the entire length of session. For me it is not to see what I did, it is more to control from time to time that everything is right:-). By the way it is also with GML. To me my point is, that I for my business have to have many songs in one session, often we have an entire score with up to 500 tracks in one session. I always thought that this is the big strength of a large ProTools DSP System, and it really is a powerful system. But I expect the automation to work perfectly for such a system, and as there were just more and more problems coming, but less and less problems actually solved, I decided to get a little bit more open for other DAW's:-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed, but still it is not alright. Yes, poorly coded plugins should not be in a plugin Folder for scoring mixes. But, yes, as you said sound toys, I want to be able to use those in a scoring session. And it is not few, but more than halfe of all manufactures, mostly it is annoying with Softtube, as there are not so many that do AAX DSP Plugs, and I would like to use those. The reason why I often want to look to the Curve is, because there are also issues with the Automation write to all function. (press back and play, and your selection is gone, the next write goes to the entire length of session. For me it is not to see what I did, it is more to control from time to time that everything is right:-). By the way it is also with GML. To me my point is, that I for my business have to have many songs in one session, often we have an entire score with up to 500 tracks in one session. I always thought that this is the big strength of a large ProTools DSP System, and it really is a powerful system. But I expect the automation to work perfectly for such a system, and as there were just more and more problems coming, but less and less problems actually solved, I decided to get a little bit more open for other DAW's:-)
Ha! Can't wait to hear your comments on the VCAs in Nuendo.
For some reason Nuendo users seem to be "DAW patriots" on general forums as I call them and PT users like to rant about PT regardless where they are. Never understood why.

Reality is Nuendo has issues too you just don't read about them much unless you have a look at the Steinberg forum. N-users tend to defend Nuendo elsewhere as they defend the "underdog" status in the post world supporting the PT-killer. Same with Reaper users. It's fine, just don't understand why everyone thinks Nuendo is problem free until you have a glance at the Steinber forum where you find out about bugs that are taking years to fix just like in PT. VCAs being an infamous one.

But all the "switched and never looked back - runs flawlessly -etc." comments are only one side of the medal.

Both systems have their problems. Wether or not they become yours really depends on what and how you use them. VCA will be fun for you to experience on Nuendo (not). But if you don't use VCAs you'll probably be fine.

There's two sides to both systems...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Ha! Can't wait to hear your comments on the VCAs in Nuendo.
For some reason Nuendo users seem to be "DAW patriots" on general forums as I call them and PT users like to rant about PT regardless where they are. Never understood why.

Reality is Nuendo has issues too you just don't read about them much unless you have a look at the Steinberg forum. N-users tend to defend Nuendo elsewhere as they defend the "underdog" status in the post world.

But all the "switched and never looked back - runs flawlessly -etc." comments are only one side of the medal.

Both systems have their problems. Wether or not they become yours really depends on what and how you use them. VCA will be fun for you to experience on Nuendo (not). But if you don't use VCAs you'll probably be fine.

There's two sides to both systems...
VCA is important for me, what's not alright with them? If you tell me I can test right away with Nuendo.

Yes, every DAW will have the Problems, and once you try a new one you have to learn it, then you can do some little projects. First you will see everything that you like, but then the bigger the projects get the more you discover the issues. Then it is all about with which's DAW's issue can you live better.

But there is something else that is important: As a high-end Scoring Studio I still can not come in direct contact with people that would really be able to do something at Avid's. I tried everything, but I can't. Now if a compagny is based in Germany that helps a lot to be in a direct contact. It is not a guaranty but usually if we have issues with something developed by a swiss or German company then usually we can persuade them to fix it fast.

I'll report what is my go with Nuendo.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
VCA is important for me, what's not alright with them? If you tell me I can test right away with Nuendo.

Yes, every DAW will have the Problems, and once you try a new one you have to learn it, then you can do some little projects. First you will see everything that you like, but then the bigger the projects get the more you discover the issues. Then it is all about with which's DAW's issue can you live better.

But there is something else that is important: As a high-end Scoring Studio I still can not come in direct contact with people that would really be able to do something at Avid's. I tried everything, but I can't. Now if a compagny is based in Germany that helps a lot to be in a direct contact. It is not a guaranty but usually if we have issues with something developed by a swiss or German company then usually we can persuade them to fix it fast.

I'll report what is my go with Nuendo.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/vie...76cf83715fd824

Some one writes

"Whoever is in charge of VCAs @ Steinberg doesn't seem to understand how they should work. Just embarrassing that they've never worked properly since their introduction."

for example and I hear from N-users around me that VCAs has been an ongoing problem. But like I said it really depends on how you work. Just like in PT.

More here

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=291

And I'm sure more experienced N-users here can explain. But this is the post-production forum so you might get more music specific responses in other GS areas... not sure.

What I mean is: Just by switching to N you won't enter the promised land. You might in some areas but not all of them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/vie...76cf83715fd824

Some one writes

"Whoever is in charge of VCAs @ Steinberg doesn't seem to understand how they should work. Just embarrassing that they've never worked properly since their introduction."

for example and I hear from N-users around me that VCAs has been an ongoing problem. But like I said it really depends on how you work. Just like in PT.

More here

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=291

And I'm sure more experienced N-users here can explain. But this is the post-production forum so you might get more music specific responses in other GS areas... not sure.

What I mean is: Just by switching to N you won't enter the promised land. You might in some areas but not all of them.
That's for sure!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
VCA is important for me, what's not alright with them?
The short version is that they work as expected (as far as I recall) as long as you have an automation node somewhere on the channels controlled by the VCA. If you don't have an automation node on them then there are going to be specific cases where the software may write an automation node inaccurately. It's potentially worse than it sounds because it may be that it writes the node at the beginning of the timeline and offsets your entire channel incorrectly.

Again though, this is a known behavior as shown in that thread and the cure is to place initial automation nodes on the controlled channels.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
The short version is that they work as expected (as far as I recall) as long as you have an automation node somewhere on the channels controlled by the VCA. If you don't have an automation node on them then there are going to be specific cases where the software may write an automation node inaccurately. It's potentially worse than it sounds because it may be that it writes the node at the beginning of the timeline and offsets your entire channel incorrectly.

Again though, this is a known behavior as shown in that thread and the cure is to place initial automation nodes on the controlled channels.
Yes, Nuendo can use a Virgin Territory system for automation, where there can be zones with no data between automation end-points (not breakpoints in that case). The idea was to emulate what consoles like the System5 did while mixing, in that if you press stop while writing automation, the parameter stays where it is instead of reverting (glide) until it reaches a new automation point. I think it was never fully implemented as it should have been, and my personal workflow for mixing NEVER includes virgin Territory as I find it error-prone.
VCA was implemented without having VT in mind I think, and it works as expected if you always have initial parameter values.

As for the underdog die-hard fan base, yeah, there is a bit of that. Probably from having been looked down upon for so long by Digi/AVID and some of their users (I know a few rabid PT fan boys that would make you blush and be ashamed of even owning a license).
But as some pointed out, no DAW is perfect, it often comes down to personal preference and comfort. I'm comfortable with both PT and Nuendo, and most digital consoles. I just happen to prefer Nuendo for a few reasons.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post

Yeah, it is good to know that. I will see if if its ok with this workaround for me. Probably yes, as I anyway automate VCA's on a song by song base.

However there are also some really cool things that I like, coming from ProTools. Automation write to all (or to loop, as it is called in Nuendo), in Nuendo there are no hard volume drops if you do that. If you do it in ProTools you get those ugly edges in the volume-curve, and always needed to glide them later (exept if you drop in and out where there is no sound).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I always wonder: How can dialogue editors survive without an equivalent to the field recorded workflow in PT? How do you do that in N??
Is there an equivalent functionality in N?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I always wonder: How can dialogue editors survive without an equivalent to the field recorded workflow in PT? How do you do that in N??
There is a field recorder workflow starting in version 10. Before then I know some people used some workarounds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Yes since N10. Works a bit differently than in PT, and can make some progress in some areas but a good addition to the software.
I'd say one advantage is that with the Field Recorder workflow now integrated into Nuendo, you get quite a few features included that would mean third party apps with PT: Mediabay (Sound Miner, or Basehead for PT), Reconform (Conformalyzer, EdiLoad), great panner (Spanner), ADR toolset (EdiCue), Anymix Pro upmix (Halo, Penteo or... Anymix).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

good to know, thanks.

Can it compare two videos like Conformalizer and find the differences? I mean the actual video not the EDLs?

I wouldn't put anymix in the same league as Penteo but that set aside...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
good to know, thanks.

Can it compare two videos like Conformalizer and find the differences? I mean the actual video not the EDLs?

I wouldn't put anymix in the same league as Penteo but that set aside...
No it can't do a comparison from videos for the moment. We still rely on EDL, but it's quite efficient.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Re: workarounds. One of the things that sold me on N back in the very early days (version 2) was its macro capability: virtually any command, cursor movement, selection, routing, etc can be chosen from a very long hierarchical menu, added to a user macro, edited, and assigned a shortcut key. Since it's integrated, it can do anything Nuendo can do... even if there isn't the kind of mouse- or menu- landings that third party macro utilities rely on.

At the time PT didn't have anything close. I haven't kept up, however: are fully editable macros built into PT now?

---
Note on the holy wars: We audio posties are blessed: There are multiple high-end programs we can choose from, each with its own advantages. You can pick the one that works best for you, and in most cases, correspond seamlessly with someone using different program.

Consider the poor state of authors: when I'm writing commercially, I have to use MSWord, like it or not. It's the only thing book and magazine editors will accept.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
At the time PT didn't have anything close. I haven't kept up, however: are fully editable macros built into PT now?
The PT functions themselves are not editable, but their mapping onto a EuCon surface is. EuCon integration is very deep now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search