The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Atmos HT Certification-Is it worth it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Atmos HT Certification-Is it worth it?

Hi,

would like to hear opinions from those who applied or already have a Dolby Atmos approved room for Home Entertainment. Europe in particular.

Is it worth it, from the economic point of view, in terms of investment return? I know this varies from country to country, but I see HT deliverables as either Bluray or streaming. Bluray is on a decline in terms of sales, streaming is great, but the biggest part of the catalogues of streaming platforms are non Atmos and even those are only available in selected markets. Then there´s Atmos Music, but it´s just in it´s infancy.

So, considering that you can buy the RMU with the Atmos Mastering Suite without certification and even now that the newly announced version of PT will allow Dolby Bridge without the 32 channel limitation, even for HDX users, what´s the point? Is it just to impress clients? Is for the Dolby (expensive) expertise?

Do you think that the RMU is also worth having, taking into consideration the power of some CPU´s nowadays, that can handle a heavy PT session and the AVID Production Suite on the same machine? Excluding the need for room equalization and calibration provided by the Mastering Suite of course.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We are in the process of building a certified HT Atmos room right now.
I think the price is OK for what you get. The consulting already in in the planning and building phases are good value.

That being said, I'm in working at a big company and we exclusively (with very rare exceptions) work for inhouse projects. So we're not in the open market and I can't tell you anything on the ROI question, this works differently for us.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
We are in the process of building a certified HT Atmos room right now.
I think the price is OK for what you get. The consulting already in in the planning and building phases are good value.

That being said, I'm in working at a big company and we exclusively (with very rare exceptions) work for inhouse projects. So we're not in the open market and I can't tell you anything on the ROI question, this works differently for us.
Hi Kosmo, thanks for your reply. I was recently involved in the construction of a new room with an Atmos style speaker configuration. We´ve followed the Dolby preliminary guidelines for HT certification in terms of acoustics, layout etc, so that at a later stage if it justifies the investment, it will be easier. But the costs involved in the certification itself, plus the HT RMU are a bit high for the return we may get in the near future. If it´s not confidential, what type of work are your company aiming for Atmos HT, considering it´s a music supporting company? Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search