The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Foley Mixing Room Mic Tips
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Foley Mixing Room Mic Tips

Hi Everyone, I'm interested in getting into Foley mixing. I have a couple of Foley artist friends, I got thrown into a Foley recording session recently by one of them on a big budget project and did fine, no complaints from anyone and my Foley artist friend came into the control room and checked out a small handful of cues where I asked for the mic to be moved and thought I have an ear for it and I was eq'ing a little bit most times as well. However, it was a pretty basic M&E session and they only wanted close miked.

Since then I've sat in on some other Foley sessions that my Foley artist friends have worked on and would really like to learn more about Foley mixing in general, most importantly, about the room mic for perspective.

My questions are, if anyone has the time: when placing the room mic in an unfamiliar room, what are you listening out for and what are you trying to avoid? What's your process for finding the magic spot for the room mic?

How exactly does the perspective/room mic work. I'm assuming it can't be as basic as, if the close mic sounds too close (and after making close mic adjustments), mix in some more of the room mic. What are the finer nuances to consider when deciding how much of the room mic to use?

I come from a music background and with a second mic in the music realm, phase and comb filtering are a big consideration. Does that come into play just a much with Foley in terms of room mic placement?

What are some common rookie Foley mixing mistakes apart from recording things that sound too "tappy"?

Last, I find when listening to Foley on Netflix, both TV and film, that there often seems to be too much low end in terms of the perspective on the screen. From what I've learned so far, it's better to record with more low end than less as when it's dipped down in volume, you want the low end to still be present and not end up with just "tap". But, what am I missing here, why does Foley often sound so "low-endey"?

Many questions I know but if anyone could answer even one or two of them, I'd be very grateful

Cheers,
Sharon
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If there's one golden rule when recording a (good) foley artist, it is : "never touch the microphone, the foley artist will always know better than you where to put it".
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Room mic is usually in a distant corner, so there isn't a lot of direct signal to phase with the spot mic, just reverberant field. Mixing the two mics takes practice, but it is nice to get some room when appropriate and as well walk-away type moves into room mic. And ya, micing is the artist's job but it's yours to give feedback it you feel it's too close or distant, and you're free to EQ to taste as you gain confidence (I've seen other processing like slight NR and even subharmonic generation). If they aren't wearing headphones, it's even more on you to make sure things sound right. In my experience, I prefer the sound artists get when they are wearing headphones, but some have gone their whole careers without them. One request, please name everything correctly and organize it smartly so it can be edited and mixed efficiently!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan01 View Post
Room mic is usually in a distant corner, so there isn't a lot of direct signal to phase with the spot mic, just reverberant field. Mixing the two mics takes practice, but it is nice to get some room when appropriate and as well walk-away type moves into room mic. And ya, micing is the artist's job but it's yours to give feedback it you feel it's too close or distant, and you're free to EQ to taste as you gain confidence (I've seen other processing like slight NR and even subharmonic generation). If they aren't wearing headphones, it's even more on you to make sure things sound right. In my experience, I prefer the sound artists get when they are wearing headphones, but some have gone their whole careers without them. One request, please name everything correctly and organize it smartly so it can be edited and mixed efficiently!
Thank you so much, very helpful info re the room mic. And thanks for the other tips also!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search