The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Master Youtube video audio w/voice over at what stage?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Master Youtube video audio w/voice over at what stage?

Howdy - first post in this forum. (Is this even the right forum for this question?)

Really late to the party, I'm starting to work on Youtube videos for my music. The visual itself is just some nice images - there's no sound from the visual. The video is just a visual accompaniment to the main object of the video - the music.

The channel will have a trailer. The trailer will have a music track and a voice-over track with some ducking. You know, "Thanks for visiting. Please like & subscribe. Etc."

I plan to send the music out to a human mastering engineer to be mastered to standard CD specs, and ask for a 48kHz version for video. Then paste the audio into the video. Or is there such a thing as mastering the audio of a video IN the video?

But what's common practice for voice-over tracks like the trailer? Produce a single wav file with the music & voice and have that mastered? Or just leave them on separate tracks in the video file and just not master the voice? Or get each mastered separately?

Thanks.

Last edited by musicus; 3 weeks ago at 03:39 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Well, 2 days and 500 views with no replies, I'm gonna conclude I posted in the wrong forum and re-post it somewhere else.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post
Well, 2 days and 500 views with no replies, I'm gonna conclude I posted in the wrong forum and re-post it somewhere else.
Maybe people were busy or something... be patient...

Quote:
The channel will have a trailer. The trailer will have a music track and a voice-over track with some ducking. You know, "Thanks for visiting. Please like & subscribe. Etc."

I plan to send the music out to a human mastering engineer to be mastered to standard CD specs, and ask for a 48kHz version for video. Then paste the audio into the video. Or is there such a thing as mastering the audio of a video IN the video?
There's a "video production" subsection in this forum and you might get more answers there (though I doubt it). A lot of us don't actually deal with video software, so it's a bit off-topic for a lot of us. However,

Quote:
But what's common practice for voice-over tracks like the trailer? Produce a single wav file with the music & voice and have that mastered? Or just leave them on separate tracks in the video file and just not master the voice? Or get each mastered separately?

Thanks.
The vast majority of audio I produce for video that's for the internet will be one final mono or stereo file to be played by itself. It's unusual for me to get a job where people want things split out in order to be merged automatically by software.

That in turn means that I get finished music (i.e. mixed and mastered) and I then use whatever DAW I'm working on to finalize the voiceover using whatever processing is necessary, and then I mix the two together and render/export the final stereo audio file and deliver that one file back to the client.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hey thank you for the helpful reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Maybe people were busy or something...
How dare they.
Quote:
be patient...
Agreed - but I figured 2 days and 500 views qualified as having been patient before concluding I had posted in the wrong area.
Quote:
The vast majority of audio I produce for video that's for the internet will be one final mono or stereo file to be played by itself. It's unusual for me to get a job where people want things split out in order to be merged automatically by software.

That in turn means that I get finished music (i.e. mixed and mastered) and I then use whatever DAW I'm working on to finalize the voiceover using whatever processing is necessary, and then I mix the two together and render/export the final stereo audio file and deliver that one file back to the client.
So - in your experience:
- the music is mastered first. They, generally, do not send you mixed but not mastered music.
- so you start with a mastered music tack and an un-mastered, dry, voice track
- you apply some processing to the voice track - I'd guess some eq, some compression, and maybe some room/reverb
- then you mix them together, and render as one audio file and send it back. You do not get the new combined audio file re-mastered before sending back.

Do you think they get that new combined file re-mastered? Or does what you send them become the video's audio track as-is?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
So - in your experience:
- the music is mastered first. They, generally, do not send you mixed but not mastered music.
Generally for me - and I bet for most people in this section (post-audio) - the person editing the video lays in music on the editing timeline, either from a music library or composed specifically for the content, and in both of those cases it'll be essentially mastered and done. I'm not including movies in this since movies in my experience have a wider range of 'finishing' involved in music.

Then the video editor outputs a reference video for us audio engineers as well as deliver the audio that they placed on the timeline. So that could be any or none of music, fx, dialog and voiceover.

So in your case, if you're doing this yourself, if you were to follow the workflow a lot of us are using then you'd get the music finished first, and then add that and other elements (voiceover) in a DAW and mix and export a finished audio file.

Quote:
- so you start with a mastered music tack and an un-mastered, dry, voice track
- you apply some processing to the voice track - I'd guess some eq, some compression, and maybe some room/reverb/
Often the voiceover is 'raw'. Sometimes it's not.

I personally hate reverb on voiceover that functions as narration/promo. But 'yes', I do add processing to the voiceover if needed. Most of the time it is needed.

Quote:
- then you mix them together, and render as one audio file and send it back. You do not get the new combined audio file re-mastered before sending back.

Do you think they get that new combined file re-mastered? Or does what you send them become the video's audio track as-is?
It is normally not "re-mastered".

The work that "we" do is typically subject to specifications. So once we're done with it, as long as it meets specifications, the people creating the final media (video editors etc) will simply take our audio and lay it back into their timeline and make sure that's the only audio that's playing back, and then they'll render the final media (video with audio). They hire us to make sure audio is to spec, so they shouldn't adjust it.

For YouTube and internet streaming things are a bit different in that there isn't a law we need to follow, and there isn't an agreed upon spec. So there's probably a bigger chance someone changes what we've done after the fact.

But I'd say in neither case should you think of this as re-mastering. "Mastering" really is something a bit different in the music industry compared to audio-post.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
That's very interesting, thanks.

Interesting that music gets mastered, but dialog - in theory the most important element in a film - does not.

Anyway - sounds like for my little YT videos, the process you describe will be more than sufficient. Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Dialog certainly does get mastered in a theatrical film.

After everything's recorded, after the picture editors have shaped the show, after the dialog editor has spent weeks fine-tuning every syllable and editing around any noises...

The senior post-production mixer will spend week(s) fine-tuning just the processing --eq, NR, whatever-- and levels, in a theater that's been calibrated to SMPTE/Dolby/THX standards.

Then, this 'mastered' dialog-only is combined with the music and designed sounds, from other editors, in the same theater.

Except we call it re-recording for historical reasons, rather than mastering. If a film is up for a sound Oscar, the re-recording mixer often shares it with whoever was in charge of the sound crew during the shoot.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Ok, well we're really just talking about different definitions now. Obviously we're not going to not process dialog before a movie is released. And obviously "mastering" in music engineering is processing. So yeah, they both get processed.

But there's a difference between mastering a mix and processing an individual element - not in the sense that we're using vastly different tools and techniques, but in the sense that a mastered piece of music really is a master of a mix of elements, whereas it's a bit different in post. We do see from time to time here in this section people that are new to this asking about how we "master" the final mix of a movie, and the response typically is that we don't... because we don't. We mix it and that is from an audio standpoint "the master". The "printmaster" isn't the same as a music master because we typically try to make sure the stems sum to the final mix, and that is arguably different from music mastering.

So to me saying that we "master" the dialog or voiceover just sounds... odd.. We process it. Then it goes into the mix.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search