The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post-Production: How do I deal with mov files?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Post-Production: How do I deal with mov files?

Hi all,

I've taken on a project to help a friend cleaning up and editing audio for a short documentary. However, I'm having a very hard time figuring out how to get files set up in my daw (I use Reaper).

The project originates in Premiere Pro, and is complicated by the fact that, for the most part, audio files are NOT separated from video files, as much of the footage was recorded straight to camera (mov/quicktime files).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the best way to set this up so I can work in Reaper? For what it's worth, I do have AA Translator, and I have a bit of experience using AAF/OMF/EDL files (admittedly without much success). But even in those cases, the audio files were separate and not tied to video.

Many thanks for any help/ideas!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They need to make you an AAF or OMF export of the audio project, as well as give you a copy of the video cut. The original footage can have audio attached to it, but the OMF export process separates the audio from the video for export.
Old 3 weeks ago
Led
Lives for gear

I don't know Reaper, but have you tried telling it to import an audio file and selecting the video file? If you select import audio file in Pro Tools then select a video file, it just imports the audio and converts it on the way in. Might be something like that that works in Reaper maybe? If not, you should be able to open in in Quicktime and export just a wav of the audio..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Reaper does this too. However, this doesn't seem like a good way to get a project export....no handles etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Led
Lives for gear

Yeah omf is much better for sure. Provided the OP can get one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I'm not sure Reaper does AAF/OMF import...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks so much, everyone. I was indeed able to get an OMF folder, and then used AA Translator to convert to an rpp file for Reaper.

It ... almost works. At least now I have individual wav files for everything. But for some reason nothing lines up quite right in the resulting rpp file. Some clips are on time, some are a little late or early, and some things make no sense at all.

Anyone have any tips for this? I'm guessing the problems come from AA Translator and not from the OMF ... maybe I have to tweak some settings there.

But even in the worst case at least I can now manually line up the audio and get to work.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Riinehart,

Unfortunately I've had quite a bit of problems with exports out of Premiere over the last two-three years. It seems to me that there are far more opportunities for things to go wrong when editors export from there. My guess is that something is up before/during export rather than it being an issue with the translator software.

I can't remember exactly what the issues were, but definitely things like mixed sample rates, mp3 files, nested timelines (or similar)... all of that can be a cause for problems. I don't think you'll get much further without collaborating with the editor doing the export, just trying a bunch of stuff out to see if you can get it right.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I'm not sure Reaper does AAF/OMF import...
No, but AATranslator makes many flavors of exports (incl OMF+AAF) into Reaper project files.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Every editor and every NLE seems to have a different way of making OMF/AAF. Sometimes it takes a workflow test or two; sometimes I have to educate the editor. But I'm doing a 150-minute feature now, have gotten at least half a dozen OMFs from the editor's Premiere, and every clip has been rock-stable.

If early parts of your import are sort-of lining up and then things go strange, check the sync standards. Obviously sample rate has to agree... but while most modern DAWs track clip locations internally based on sample counts, most NLEs track clip location in frames. So the frame rate of NLE, DAW, OMF/AAF, and your reference pix have to agree as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

This is all really helpful -- thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riinehart View Post
Thanks so much, everyone. I was indeed able to get an OMF folder, and then used AA Translator to convert to an rpp file for Reaper.

It ... almost works. At least now I have individual wav files for everything. But for some reason nothing lines up quite right in the resulting rpp file. Some clips are on time, some are a little late or early, and some things make no sense at all.

Anyone have any tips for this? I'm guessing the problems come from AA Translator and not from the OMF ... maybe I have to tweak some settings there.

But even in the worst case at least I can now manually line up the audio and get to work.
Sounds like an easy fix
Email me and I will make sure you are sorted out asap
Plus our latest beta version can convert directly from Premiere Pro session files
[email protected]
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search