AVID S4 and S1
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

AVID S4 and S1

Saw this pop up just now:

https://www.avid.com/products/avid-s...qnCheQ2x1taxuc

https://vintageking.com/blog/2019/07...trol-surfaces/

Edit:
I was excited for a moment as it was marketed as a budget s6.

But then the pricing came: the 8 fader model s4 is more expensive than a 8 fader s6 m10.....

I was hoping that because they are using the lower quality s3 style fader and other cost cutting features the pricing would start in the 10-15k region

Pricing is plain stupid:

S4 8 fader: 24000
S6 8 fader: 22000

S4 16 fader: 38000
S6 16 fader: 41000

S4 24 fader: 53000
S6 24 fader: 57000

Last edited by Jamie Mac; 18th July 2019 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear
No sense about calling the S4 (they do on their site) a "budget s6" when it's more expensive than an actual s6 lol...

In anyway I would definitely pay up to 15 k for a 16 faders unit. Not more.

The only reasonable thing would be to really put something in the middle of the way between the S3 and the S6. This just looks and costs like an S6.

I think the REALLY interesting thing here is the S1 and its expandable posibilities. They say it's gonna cost the same as an Avid Artist Mix, but will include a lot of features from the S6. The IPAD stand is a great idea.

Looks you can match 4 of these having a total of 32 faders (I suppose you can have 4 ipads as well, if you can't it would be a horrible miss).

Combining this with an Avid Dock, you could have a 32 fader Avid controller with 5 screens (Ipads) for less than 7 K.
I think THIS might be a good deal.

I was thinking lately about buying a S3+Dock but now I'm reconsidering it and will wait for the S1 and S4 official release, and their definitive prices.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

It's worse than I thought:

AVID is discontinuing the S6-M10... Making getting an actual S6 much more expensive as you now have to get an M40 to get proper faders.

The S4 is not filling a gap in their product line as they are marketing it to be.
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear

The S1 seems like a reasonable step forward from the artist mix but I really don't understand why Avid is bothering to call the S4 a new product. It's just an S6+M10 with a new name and an artificially constrained number of modules. Pricing is identical to an S6+M10. What's the point other than allowing corporate to crow about releasing a new product?
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Addict

Yeah the S4 pricing doesn’t make any sense to me, but I’m really really liking what I’m seeing about the S1 so far. I’ve been waiting and hoping for Avid to do a more modern refresh of their Artist series line and these look great.

My main question for the S1 is if you have multiple S1’s can you use multiple iPads to get the meter displays for each one, AND use them all in conjunction with another iPad also running the Avid Control app. I would assume this is how they would be designed, if you can link up to 4 of the S1’s together, but I’d love confirmation/more information about this.
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Maniac

The s4 pricing is crazy!!

I am sure that its a lovely control surface, but at those prices you may as well get an s6?
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 View Post
The s4 pricing is crazy!!

I am sure that its a lovely control surface, but at those prices you may as well get an s6?
They thought of that too. The m10 is discontinued so pretty soon you can’t get it anymore.

I’m actually pissed about this. Not about the money, but about the marketing. They’re actively promoting this as a more affordable option when it just simply isn’t!
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Well yeah that S4 looks pretty cool, but the pricing seems weird indeed.
I'm not in the market for anything like that so whatever, I'll let those who are decide whether it makes sense to them.

The S1 is cool and I bet they'll sell a bunch of those.
Personally I'm just at this point where I see eight faders and knobs for 800-1.2k and I just think..... I can get a 27-32" touch screen for that.
To hell with faders and knobs, it's just not worth it to me, a touch screen adds much more functionality to my work flow.

I suppose they're neat controllers for those who feel real faders and knobs are worth the price of entry.
It's a personal thing.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
My main question for the S1 is if you have multiple S1’s can you use multiple iPads to get the meter displays for each one, AND use them all in conjunction with another iPad also running the Avid Control app. I would assume this is how they would be designed, if you can link up to 4 of the S1’s together, but I’d love confirmation/more information about this.
Yes. They demoed with 3 (2 ipads on S1 and 1 ipad on Dock). They are all running the same Control App (just a future version with a revamped GUI).
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

8 faders= $24k? How many of those will they sell at that price?
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Saw this pop up just now:

https://www.avid.com/products/avid-s...qnCheQ2x1taxuc

https://vintageking.com/blog/2019/07...trol-surfaces/

Edit:
I was excited for a moment as it was marketed as a budget s6.

But then the pricing came: the 8 fader model s4 is more expensive than a 8 fader s6 m10.....

I was hoping that because they are using the lower quality s3 style fader and other cost cutting features the pricing would start in the 10-15k region

Pricing is plain stupid:

S4 8 fader: 24000
S6 8 fader: 22000

S4 16 fader: 38000
S6 16 fader: 41000

S4 24 fader: 53000
S6 24 fader: 57000
Your numbers don't include two things:

The S6-M10+ option adds $3k cost to allow the M10 to use display modules.

3 years of service contract are included with the price of the S4. The S6-M10 has an annual fee that isn't accounted for in your numbers.
Old 19th July 2019
TJ5
Gear Head
I waited almost a year and was hoping something would replace the Avid Artist Mix. Hoping the pricing for the S1 will be similar or better than Artist Mix.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5 View Post
I waited almost a year and was hoping something would replace the Avid Artist Mix. Hoping the pricing for the S1 will be similar or better than Artist Mix.
Someone was quoting around $1300 but as far as I know, it looks like official pricing won't be out until IBC.
Old 19th July 2019
TJ5
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Someone was quoting around $1300 but as far as I know, it looks like official pricing won't be out until IBC.
Okay, thanks for the info. The S1 may be an xmas present to myself
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

The S1 is gonna be a homerun.

Maybe I should of been a rapper. Lol. In all seriousness, it looks about perfect to me. Hope the pricing is similar to the Artist Mix.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

My MC Mix is dying so this is well-timed. As long as it doesn’t have that gunky finish like the Artist Control.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
My MC Mix is dying so this is well-timed. As long as it doesn’t have that gunky finish like the Artist Control.
It looks to have the same finish as the Dock (you can see that when they are all joined together in the product photos). Which is a hard textured plastic (vs the "soft touch" rubber-coated Mix).
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Your numbers don't include two things:

The S6-M10+ option adds $3k cost to allow the M10 to use display modules.

3 years of service contract are included with the price of the S4. The S6-M10 has an annual fee that isn't accounted for in your numbers.
Fair enough, but if the s4 has the faders of the s3 it is of a quality far below that of the s6.

To price it as a replacement of the m10 is just wrong. Then just call it an s6, and not the affordable alternative like all over their marketing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I really like how the s4 doesn't have a process module. I would love to reclaim that foot of reach.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
I really like how the s4 doesn't have a process module. I would love to reclaim that foot of reach.
Oh yeah. Please note Avid: Make this available for S6 as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Oh yeah. Please note Avid: Make this available for S6 as well.
they combined the fader and knob module and call it the channel strip module. So the smaller panel that replaces the process module on the s6 can't be used on the s6. Complete bummer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

s4 pricing a complete miss
I was looking to move fro s3 upwards bu there no way Im going to spend the difference
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Asked on another forum but chasing on here also, the s6 m10 included an x-mon. Is the s4 more expensive and no x-mon?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have S6 M10. No xmon here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
I have S6 M10. No xmon here.
As in it didn't come with one when you purchased it? Or you were able to buy it without? Seems most of the online sites (checked RSPE and Guitar Centre) state it is included with purchase of M10...
Attached Thumbnails
AVID S4 and S1-avids6rspe.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
As in it didn't come with one when you purchased it? Or you were able to buy it without? Seems most of the online sites (checked RSPE and Guitar Centre) state it is included with purchase of M10...
I bought my S6 M10 without XMon
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Im curious. I currently use a s3 and dock for my workflow. Would I be able to add S1's and still use my s3 at the same time? Probably not ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yeah, I'd love to know what, if anything, plays well with other Eucon things. Can an S1 and an S3 be operated together? What about an S1 and an Artist series controller?

I'm hoping for good integration across a spread of Eucon surfaces. I still think it's crazy two S3's can't be joined together
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think it's already been mentioned on the DUC that an S3 and S1 will not work together (just as an Artist Mix won't work with an S3) from the Eucon product manager.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So basically if you have an s3 and want more faders you either have to replace it with three or four S1 units and miss out on a row of encoders and whatever else you might prefer on the s3, or move up to s4/6?

Seems sub optimal but then again that’s what the whole controller market has always seemed to me. Pricey and sub optimal, at whatever level.
They can be worthwhile for sure, but I think it’s a product category where it particularly pays off to examine whether it’s worth the investment to you and which one to get.
Advantages and disadvantages come bundled together.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search