The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AVID S4 and S1
Old 26th July 2019
  #31
Gear Guru
 

Is Avid discontinuing the Artist series now that s1 will come out? (sorry if I missed this)
Old 28th July 2019
  #32
Lives for gear
 
cebolao's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Is Avid discontinuing the Artist series now that s1 will come out? (sorry if I missed this)
it is already discountinued
Old 28th July 2019
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
it is already discountinued
No, it's not.
It's still available from dealers and it is not on the EOL list for Avid yet.

They won't end of life it until the S1 starts shipping in October.
Old 28th August 2019
  #34
TJ5
Gear Nut
Artist Mix just dropped in price from a seller to a really good price. Wait for the S1 or pick up an Artist Mix?
Old 28th August 2019
  #35
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5 View Post
Artist Mix just dropped in price from a seller to a really good price. Wait for the S1 or pick up an Artist Mix?
Wait. The Artist Mix is flimsy and not well-designed. Can't wait to never see those or the Controls ever again...
Old 28th August 2019
  #36
TJ5
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Wait. The Artist Mix is flimsy and not well-designed. Can't wait to never see those or the Controls ever again...
Thanks. That's what I've been reading from other threads. Just tempting to get the Artist Mix at a good price. I'll just need to wait until the S1 is released. I need to remember that the Artist Mix is 7 years old.
Old 28th August 2019
  #37
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

If you need to work today, and you don't have a surface and can't afford S3, buy a Dock. It will work with S1 later and you won't regret it.
Old 6th December 2019
  #38
Old 8th December 2019
  #39
Gear Addict
 
Hammer v2's Avatar
Pricing is coming out now too, at it looks to be twice the price of the Artist mix it replaces?

And thats without the tablet...
Old 8th December 2019
  #40
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
If you want high quality tactical control of your daw, especially PT, you’re just going to have to come terms with the fact that it’s pricy.

The upside being:
Not everybody needs tactical control.

For a lot of people, just a mouse and keyboard is fine.
For a lot of people, just the addition of the free iPad app is fine.
For many people a 27” Raven is fine.
For me, a 27” touch screen with DTouch is just fine.

Note that all of these options are cheaper than the 8 fader S1.

The S1 looks neat and powerful and I’m sure it will enhance your workflow in ways.
However, every potential buyer should figure out if it’s worth the price of admission to them and consider whether it will be enough for them. If you really want 16 or more faders, be prepared to pay more.

In contrast, DTouch and Raven, while both not perfect, give you direct control of 22 faders in stead of 8, for less money.
What’s more, it brings the PT GUI you know closer to you, in stead of farther away.
It’s quite neatly integrated with it and feels more like a natural extension than an external add on.

Not dissing the S1 here because I think it’s a sweet control surface. It just comes at a price that’s still steep for many, so one should simply consider the alternatives.
What does it need to bring to the table?
A 27” touch screen with the PT interface on it is quite another thing than an app on an iPad.
Old 8th December 2019
  #41
Lives for gear
 

I don't get the hype around the S1. If you look at it closely it has exactly the same buttons knobs like the Artist Mix just re-arranged. The only thing that's different in terms of functionality are the bottom modifiers and the 4 user keys. The latter actually adding additional hardware functionality. The rest of the buttons are exactly the same as on the Mix.
All the rest boils down to adding an iPad but you can use that with a Mix as well.

Last edited by apple-q; 8th December 2019 at 03:34 PM..
Old 8th December 2019
  #42
Gear Guru
 

I think the faders are better. At least they felt that way to me.
Old 8th December 2019
  #43
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
I don't get the hype around the S1. If you look at it closely it has exactly the same buttons knobs like the Artist Mix just re-arranged.
Well that is kinda what made me drop the idea of hardware controllers a few years ago.
Granted I got in the game really late.
I did a gig at a studio where they had a 8 chan ProControl built into a SSL 9k.
At that point I realised that in a modern hybrid setup, like I had in my studio, the controller was useful if only for the solos, mutes, rec arms etc.
So I got one. After I did and upgraded my TDM rig to a 6 core HD Native rig, I decided to try my hand at in the box again.
I started to rather like ITB at that point and my console started to be used less and less.
The ProControl helped. It wasn’t perfect, but it was helpful. For 1k, it was still a lot, but worthwhile.

A few years later pt11 came around and I had to choose. Stay with PT10 and ProControl, or upgrade to pt11 and find another controller.

I looked at D-Command.
Looked like a step up.
But it’s big, it was ageing too and it was still like 5-7k used for a 8 fader one.
I wasn’t going to invest that kind of money.

So I looked at the current gen.
artist mix... nice but it would be a step down in quality.

So I looked at the S3.
Not made for the studio, but useable.
16 faders and two rows of encoders.
That’s nice and all but...
It’s like 5k???

Then I realised the ProControl was released in like 98 or 99.
There we were in 2015 or something and I couldn’t for the life of me discover how the fifteen years of technological advancement was represented in that thing.

It’s got colour coding. That’s about it.
Other than that it’s faders, pots and buttons. And they are still costly.

I’d been interested in the Raven MTi(1) and asked to demo one.
Even though that Raven V1 software was clunky at times, it was apparent to me very quickly that this was a better solution for me than a hardware controller.
Yes I prefer touching real faders and buttons too, but it’s a slight preference and not a deal breaker for me.
The things Raven and DTouch (which I use) bring to the table are much more important to me. They now present the dealbreaker. I wouldn’t want to put a hardware controller between me and my touch screen again. They cannot do what my touch screen can, and the usefulness they do bring requires me to put the screen touch screen farther away from me, which is a dealbreaker for me.

Now, every time Avid release a 1k+ ‘artist series’ replacement that you can plug an iPad into I just think...
I can get a 32” touch screen for that kind of money and add it to my DTouch system. What do you think will give me more power and flexibility? That little box with faders and pots? Or the big touch screen directly controlling the DAW?
Yeah...

I still like checking out what they can do, and I’m sure there’s a market for them and people who are really helped by them. For me, that ship has sailed and I’m happier for it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #44
Here for the gear
 

I am waiting for the day when a plugin manufacturer will release a piece of hardware such as the S1 but not just with control surface capabilities alone but also vintage hardware plugin emulation (eq, compressor, etc) on each channel. Kind of like what the Console 1 does but on a 8 fader unit such as the S1 at the same price tag. The problem with the S1 is for the current price tag you are only getting daw control. At the end of the day this does not change the quality of my sound. Please someone make a fader unit that looks as sleek as the S1 with rock solid hardware emulation on each fader. This would leave alot of people in the recording world drooling.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #45
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

Not sure I understand. You can use almost ANY vintage hardware emulation with a EuCon surface. Get the plugin you love and build a mixing template. Not sure what your workflow is, but my surfaces totally change the quality of my sound.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbimark View Post
I am waiting for the day when a plugin manufacturer will release a piece of hardware such as the S1 but not just with control surface capabilities alone but also vintage hardware plugin emulation (eq, compressor, etc) on each channel. Kind of like what the Console 1 does but on a 8 fader unit such as the S1 at the same price tag. The problem with the S1 is for the current price tag you are only getting daw control. At the end of the day this does not change the quality of my sound. Please someone make a fader unit that looks as sleek as the S1 with rock solid hardware emulation on each fader. This would leave alot of people in the recording world drooling.
Old 1 week ago
  #46
Here for the gear
 

Reichman, i am talking about having dedicated pots for eq and dynamics within a channel strip just like you would a real console. S1 simply does not have enough pots/knobs to achieve that. Ive tried all kinds of workarounds/mixing templates. Nothing beats having dedicated physical control. You dont have to switch in and out to control your sound. Its just one step to get at what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Not sure I understand. You can use almost ANY vintage hardware emulation with a EuCon surface. Get the plugin you love and build a mixing template. Not sure what your workflow is, but my surfaces totally change the quality of my sound.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbimark View Post
I am waiting for the day when a plugin manufacturer will release a piece of hardware such as the S1 but not just with control surface capabilities alone but also vintage hardware plugin emulation (eq, compressor, etc) on each channel. Kind of like what the Console 1 does but on a 8 fader unit such as the S1 at the same price tag. The problem with the S1 is for the current price tag you are only getting daw control. At the end of the day this does not change the quality of my sound. Please someone make a fader unit that looks as sleek as the S1 with rock solid hardware emulation on each fader. This would leave alot of people in the recording world drooling.
Old 1 week ago
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbimark View Post
Reichman, i am talking about having dedicated pots for eq and dynamics within a channel strip just like you would a real console. S1 simply does not have enough pots/knobs to achieve that. Ive tried all kinds of workarounds/mixing templates. Nothing beats having dedicated physical control. You dont have to switch in and out to control your sound. Its just one step to get at what you need.
I think what you want is something like an SSL Matrix-2 in the sub $5K price range. That's going to be pretty tough to pull off, but if I think anybody does it, it will be a company like Presonus or Behringer.

For now, you're stuck with a used D-Command. And even that doesn't have the in-line layout I'm guessing you're wanting.
Old 1 week ago
  #48
Lives for gear
 
iluvcapra's Avatar
You know I'd happily live with soft knobs that are EQ sometimes and dynamics some other times if they had LINEAR MOTION with NO ACCELERATION, extra points for software-defined detent.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump