The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Editing sound track of classical music video
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Editing sound track of classical music video

Forgive me if this is covered somewhere. I looked at several posts and all seemingly had to do with more complicated problems with multiple audio tracks and cameras, and seemingly extensive editing.

This project would be relatively simple; mid/side mics ....complete performances of works up to maybe 9 minutes, though most would be shorter. One or two cameras.

We would like to be able to fix an occasional wrong note or other flaw the way we do in pro tools audio recordings. We have the skill to create fixes that are exactly the length of the bits we would replace.

Could we sync the camera(s) to pro tools during the audio-recording/video and then do our audio edits afterwards.

I have recorded and edited quite a bit of audio but have never worked with video. What sort of cameras can accurately sync to pro tools.

Thanks

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone View Post
Forgive me if this is covered somewhere. I looked at several posts and all seemingly had to do with more complicated problems with multiple audio tracks and cameras, and seemingly extensive editing.

This project would be relatively simple; mid/side mics ....complete performances of works up to maybe 9 minutes, though most would be shorter. One or two cameras.

We would like to be able to fix an occasional wrong note or other flaw the way we do in pro tools audio recordings. We have the skill to create fixes that are exactly the length of the bits we would replace.

Could we sync the camera(s) to pro tools during the audio-recording/video and then do our audio edits afterwards.

I have recorded and edited quite a bit of audio but have never worked with video. What sort of cameras can accurately sync to pro tools.

Thanks

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.
For a 9 min piece you can just roll your (digital) cameras and your PT and the recordings will line up just fine (using a clap slate will make this easier) once you pull the video into PT. If you want to roll for longer than 20 min or so (total roll time of the take) then you may have some clocking business to take care of depending on the specific gear in use. But for short takes no problem.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for reply

Just want to be sure that you understand that I do not want to use the audio from the cameras, rather want to record video (with or without camera audio) and at the same time record sound through my good converters and mics. Will this still work?
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
For a 9 min piece you can just roll your (digital) cameras and your PT and the recordings will line up just fine (using a clap slate will make this easier) once you pull the video into PT. If you want to roll for longer than 20 min or so (total roll time of the take) then you may have some clocking business to take care of depending on the specific gear in use. But for short takes no problem.
J
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
In a 9 minute take with modern gear, simultaneous camera and audio recordings should line up fine. No need to sync the cameras to your audio rig. In fact, unless you have really good cameras, it might be impossible to sync them*. But the internal crystals should be accurate enough.

*If the cameras do have a sync input, the way to go is a common sync generator that provides blackburst or tri-level or etc to the video, and either black or wordclock to your ADCs. But not worth worrying about.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Trust me, at 9 min duration no clocking will be needed for anything unless some piece of gear is seriously damaged or misengineered. We do this all the time. To the OP, yes, I'm assuming that you'll roll your cameras for picture and a scratch audio track via their camera mics or a line feed from your audio system, and the hero audio will get recorded on your PT system. Like I said, having a definite sync mark on both, like a slate clap, plus good notes will make the line up for post go faster.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Thank you

Thanks for the info!!
Old 1 day ago
We use to record 90 minute performances with separate video and audio and maybe we were off by a couple of frames at the end of 90 minutes when we edited them together. All digital cameras and audio. Best of luck! Make sure you record the audio from the cameras as a "guide track" FWIW
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search