The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avid going subscription only for pro tools?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Avid going subscription only for pro tools?

This statement seems it has triggered a few folks:

"However, going forward the preferred pricing model will be subscription-based pricing, because this is the direction of the entire industry and the way people would prefer to license software"

im not happy either of course. greedy Mofo since they could easily do rent to own model.

ultimate seems to still have perpetual licnese (hidden of course)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/prot...f=group_header

Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments
We wanted to give you a heads up on some important changes regarding the pricing of our Creative Software products. We are announcing that we have adjusted several of the prices of these offerings effective July 1, 2019. Some prices have increased, some have stayed the same and some have decreased.
As many of you know, the entire technology industry is going through a major shift from perpetual licenses to a new business model focused on subscription. This directional change is a positive shift for many users that are interested in more flexible and affordable payment options and only paying for those features, functions or services they need to access. Avid is always looking at ways to improve efficiencies in this area and while we have maintained the same pricing since our subscription offers started over 5 years ago, that will be changing. We continue to deliver new innovations, as well as new ways of enabling our customers to do their jobs faster and easier. This includes the recent announcements of the 2019 releases of Media Composer, Pro Tools 2019.x and Sibelius 2019.x.
A major focus of our analysis was on the shift from perpetual to subscription models and as a result we have increased the number and appeal of cross-grade offers for those that are interested in shifting from perpetual to subscription. We have also increased the number of payment options for subscription, including pay up front annually, commit annually but pay monthly and pay as you go, monthly. In addition, we have decided that customers currently subscribing to Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius will not have a price increase, however they must continue to keep their subscription current in order to maintain their existing price.
Please know that Avid understands the impact and implication of price increases and this is not a decision we take lightly or without significant analysis and thought. For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license. As an alternative to renewing at the new pricing, there are incentives for you to cross-grade from your current perpetual license to subscription, like decreased pricing and additional functionality, depending on the product. We would highly recommend that you look at those options as you consider your next renewal.
A few answers to questions you will probably want to know….
1. Will avid still offer BOTH perpetual and subscription offerings?
We will continue to offer perpetual pricing as an option. However, going forward the preferred pricing model will be subscription-based pricing, because this is the direction of the entire industry and the way people would prefer to license software. In addition, Avid will continue to offer perpetual renewal programs for all products.
2. Will avid still support dongles?
Yes, Avid will support dongles and iLok for managing their licenses.
3. Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
Avid will continue to offer re-instatements
4. If my Support Contract on my Perpetual license expires after July 1, 2019, can it be renewed beforehand at the older price?
Yes, you can renew the upgrade and support plan on your perpetual license prior to its expiration date. This will simply extend the end of your current plan another year. This means that you can renew your plan before July 1, 2019 at the current price.
5. If my Subscription expires after July 1, 2019, can it be renewed beforehand at the older price?
Customers who purchased subscriptions prior to July 1, 2019 can continue to renew their subscriptions at the original (current) price.
6. Will avid change pricing on Avid.com?
Yes, pricing will be the same for our customers via the Avid webstore as through the reseller channel.
7. Is there a limit on how many renewals I can purchase on my active Perpetual plan?
There are no limit. You can buy as many renewal plans and that will be added to your current plan.
Ex. Perpetual Plan expires on September of 2019. Purchased 6 Renewals, New expiration date will be on September 2025.
This can be purchased before the new pricing on July 1st.
Old 4 weeks ago
Greedy f*ckers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"preferred" by who?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It makes absolutely no sense that there is a crossgrade option for perpetual license holders to surrender their license and pay more for a subscription each year than they do now for their renewal.

This looks like an indication that you will be forced to surrender your license in the coming years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Let us not freak out before it is time to freak out.
At the moment nothing changes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver.Lucas View Post
Let us not freak out before it is time to freak out.
At the moment nothing changes.
Until July 1st
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Well, we are in the audio post forum.
The cost for the perpetual plan for PTU (that we all use here) will not change.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, we are in the audio post forum.
The cost for the perpetual plan for PTU (that we all use here) will not change.
Unless you also have a number of suites using standard. Then the price difference is 101%

Which is basically the cost of purchasing a perpetual version of Logic X.

What the he!! are they thinking!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Unless you also have a number of suites using standard. Then the price difference is 101%
In that case you are right.
It might be interesting to know that you can buy plans in advance and push your expiry date years into the future...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FYI, rental price of Ultimate actually went down. I'm on perpetual, so it doesn't affect me, but good of Avid to make a year of Ultimate a little cheaper.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
In that case you are right.
It might be interesting to know that you can buy plans in advance and push your expiry date years into the future...
That's called a perpetual license, no? ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
That's called a perpetual license, no? ?
AFAIK you can buy service and support plans for many years in advance, so you will stay perpetual and receive regular updates (if AVID releases updates, that is...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Like anything else they do, all they have to do is change the rules and screw all the folks who purchased support plans in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like anything else they do, all they have to do is change the rules and screw all the folks who purchased support plans in advance.
Not legally in the US and not under CA or MA law.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Companies like this spend your subscription plan dollars on lawyers who know how to circumvent established laws to their benefit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Companies like this spend your subscription plan dollars on lawyers who know how to circumvent established laws to their benefit.
Poor companies like Avid can't take on the CA Attorney General or MA Attorney General and their consumer rights divisions. They will go bankrupt (faster.) I actually know some of the lawyers for Avid -- they would cost more to litigate than for Avid to operate legally.

Continue wearing your tin foil hat but Avid has not violated the consumer protection laws before and they have carefully worded their T&C when changing things to be in accordance with territorial laws.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
FYI, rental price of Ultimate actually went down. I'm on perpetual, so it doesn't affect me, but good of Avid to make a year of Ultimate a little cheaper.
True, but even at the lower price and paying annually the yearly cost of renting is still double that of the perpetual license & support annual fee.

The wording on Avid's announcement is pretty opaque, and I'm shocked they launched all-new pricing with only a 2 week advance notice. It feels bizarre.

I guess I'm glad as a Perpetual PT Ultimate license holder my costs aren't going up, but the whole announcement seems strange and half-baked to me. Especially after so much of 2019 went by without PT updates until just very recently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I imagine this sudden jump has to do with the fiscal quarter ending/beginning.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
That would be awesome. As there would be a class action law suite and money in the bank for the users.
Old 3 weeks ago
I think eventually they'll stop selling perpetual.

Then the yearly upgrade cost will creep up towards the subscription price.

Time will take care of the rest.

If I was a facility starting fresh I would consider rental. I often have perpetual licenses sitting idle as I scale up and down for projects... I'd rather rent when I need than have to keep extra perpetuals up to date...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventeck View Post
I think eventually they'll stop selling perpetual.

Then the yearly upgrade cost will creep up towards the subscription price.

Time will take care of the rest.

If I was a facility starting fresh I would consider rental. I often have perpetual licenses sitting idle as I scale up and down for projects... I'd rather rent when I need than have to keep extra perpetuals up to date...
If that happened, there would be a pretty large uproar and the forums would get heavily flooded (more than ever before) and a VERY large % would drop PT or just stay where they are. I was VERY content with PT9 and ONLY upgraded because they broke the 32bit barrier by going 64 bit and for the first time being able to use more than the 3-4Gb ram limit and clip gain. Those were EPIC game changers. Pt12, 2018 just had some nice useful features but I didn't find them to be EPIC and was going to stay on PT11 for years and years. But when 2019 announced that you get an extra 128 tracks for HND, that iS EPIC. Since the only other way to get more voice other than 256 would be to buy 2 HDX cards at $3,699 each (about $8,0000 for both with tax). So yeah spending the 1K to re-instate was worth it going to 2019.5 of course I get all the features that came out in PT12 and PT 2018.
but if they drop perpetual and rent? then that will be it and will stay at what ever they have in the latest time in perpetual mode for ever. Keep in mind, a LOT, I mean millions of not more.. Feature films, albums, TV shows, music videos, commercials, Promos,etc, etc, etc where made on PT5 when it came out and won Oscars and grammys. Same thing happened when Ver 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, etc where out during their time. The only thing that could at this stage make one ever consider (me included) going the rental path if they re-invent PT where you can NOT get AAE ****73 errors and hiring NASA scientist and thus recoding the HW buffer size to max out at something like 24,576. To where you can have ABBEY Rides verbs on 100+ tracks with every other known Re-verb. Or something like that. I believe I speak on behalf of every protools users on earth.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
...I believe I speak on behalf of every protools users on earth.
I disagree.

Maybe my guess is wrong... (and I don't believe they will take away perpetual licenses... just not sell new ones...)

Facilities need to continue to upgrade and can't get stuck in time on PT9

If you work in a bubble, you can stop upgrading, but few are in that position.

Putting together a Pro Tools Ultimate system is cheaper than is has ever been. Remember when you HAD to buy a TDM card and hardware to even get Pro Tools HD?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventeck View Post
I disagree.

Maybe my guess is wrong... (and I don't believe they will take away perpetual licenses... just not sell new ones...)

Facilities need to continue to upgrade and can't get stuck in time on PT9

If you work in a bubble, you can stop upgrading, but few are in that position.

Putting together a Pro Tools Ultimate system is cheaper than is has ever been. Remember when you HAD to buy a TDM card and hardware to even get Pro Tools HD?
Didn't mean to say they'd take it away, just not offer it anymore. Of course bigger budgets with deeper pockets like WB, Sony, 20th, etc are not exempt. Although still a good handful of those bigger facilities are still on older versions, either due to ISIS, server, compatibility constraints and some don't want to be a Guiana pigs on something new vs something that is working. There will always be exceptions. PTS 2019.5 with 384 voice ESPECIALLY on the new Macs, Mid model like the 16 core is going to be very powerful. If one runs into issues or needs more CPU at that point, I reckon it would be on some rather LARGE project, then it wouldn't be a financial constraint upgrading what ever is needed. However, not everyone has an extra 10K to 30K laying around to upgrade everything to the latest and greatest.

IMHO I am glad that both parties are still moving forward, that apple even bothered to make a new MP despite the 2nd Mortgage price tag.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I could never imagine wanting to pay "rent" on software. I like to own things.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you are a Mac user you may have to upgrade eventually re: OS compato. I think Avid will soon stop selling software and be like Adobe: rental-subscription only.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have been using ProTools from the beginning. Started with Sound Designer, and I can tell you there have been numerous uproars over the years. Anyone remember when
AVID purchased Digidesign, and then released two versions of ProTools? One version was the full version with all the features which we were all using before, similar to ProTools Ultimate, and then a second stripped down version similar to ProTools standard of today. The division between the two versions was based on the hardware you owned at the time. So half of the ProTools user base was shafted, and the only way to get back the features you had already been using was to purchase their top of the line hardware package.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted e999d8e
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
I could never imagine wanting to pay "rent" on software. I like to own things.
That's what my father says about his publishing software. I feel the same way about my audio programs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have been using ProTools from the beginning. Started with Sound Designer, and I can tell you there have been numerous uproars over the years. Anyone remember when
AVID purchased Digidesign, and then released two versions of ProTools? One version was the full version with all the features which we were all using before, similar to ProTools Ultimate, and then a second stripped down version similar to ProTools standard of today. The division between the two versions was based on the hardware you owned at the time. So half of the ProTools user base was shafted, and the only way to get back the features you had already been using was to purchase their top of the line hardware package.
Yes, I was there. There was also the moment in PT3 where they realized that lowbudgers could do timecode based work with an AudioMedia III card and a MOTU DTP etc. (Albeit with frequent "error 42" throws.) So they changed the app so that to have TC at all, even as a ruler in the timeline, you had to buy the fullup version that used their higher end cards. They removed features from a product I'd already paid for, and had been using. In person, @ AES, they were dismissive, arrogant and demeaning in response to my request for an explanation. That taught me to watch them carefully, that a user's relationship with them (and moreso later, with Avid) was likely to be somewhat adversarial.
Old 2 days ago
I analyzed some of their previous wording and new wording on my blog post
Will Avid Make Pro Tools Subscription Only
As well as some of their recent changes on their website. It's worth a read. If you find out any more news, let us know.

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search