The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools 2019.5 issues
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Pro Tools 2019.5 issues

All,

I am running into some odd issues with Pro Tools 2019.5 and wanted to see if the group collective have seen anything similar and what they have done about them. I am not trying to drag Pro Tools with this, I just need to find possible solutions.

I am seeing a bit of latency with editorial. This is most apparent when using the multi-tool (I know, I know) adjusting fades and editing clips. The mouse will not release the clip selection fast enough and the region will pull based on where I was next moving the mouse to. I can work around it, but would prefer not to.

I am also seeing graphic redraw latency. I am using Insight 2 and VisLM as my meters (my RTW died) and it feels like there is about 1 - 2 seconds latency at times. These are promo sessions, so well under 200 tracks. The worst of it seems inconsistent, but overall it seems a bit slower than 12.8.3 (which I can toggle back and forth between)

Finally, I am using an AJA4k I/O for video playout. The sync seems a bit more loose than it has been previously. I have not updated drivers since the move from 12.8.3. Anyone else seen this? What drivers are people having success with?

Since it is important, the machine specs are as follows:
Trashcan Mac 2.7Ghz 12 Core
64GB Ram
OSX 10.11.6
HDX2 in Sonnet chassis
TB AJA 4kIo

Work sessions are either on SSD or San (connected via dual 10gb fiber).

Any help is appreciated.

Randall

EDIT: I just checked the compatibility page and realized that OSX 10.11.6 was not qualified. That would be a safe place to start. D'Oh.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Interesting. I am probably having our machines updated to 2019.5 next month. It would be awesome if you could report back if an OS upgrade improved your situation. We're on the supported 10.13 system and can't upgrade to 10.14 yet because that seems to have some issues with the NAS we use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
All,

Since it is important, the machine specs are as follows:
Trashcan Mac 2.7Ghz 12 Core
64GB Ram
OSX 10.11.6
HDX2 in Sonnet chassis
TB AJA 4kIo

Work sessions are either on SSD or San (connected via dual 10gb fiber).

Any help is appreciated.

Randall

EDIT: I just checked the compatibility page and realized that OSX 10.11.6 was not qualified. That would be a safe place to start. D'Oh.

Hi Randall,

I have the exact same config, same Mac, RAM, HDX, running of SSD .... but I am on Sierra and I am not having the issues you describe. Is there any reason you`re still on El Capitan?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
El Capitan was pretty notorious for graphics related issues, slow downs, laginess, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if moving to Sierra or above helps the situation. Make sure to clone your existing OS onto a separate drive (I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this) before you update it, or wipe it to do a clean install. I usually do a clean install on a separate drive, and once I have everything setup and working well, clone that onto the internal drive on the trashcan.
Old 4 weeks ago
Are you running any Eucon devices?

I had similar issues on 10.11 that went away when I upgraded to 10.13.

They came back however when I updated to 2019.5, but were solved by updating Eucon to 2019.5 as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Interesting. I am probably having our machines updated to 2019.5 next month. It would be awesome if you could report back if an OS upgrade improved your situation. We're on the supported 10.13 system and can't upgrade to 10.14 yet because that seems to have some issues with the NAS we use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We use Quantum Stornext as our SAN manager. The version we are running in house will only support through 10.13. There are some Dalet (MAM) dependencies that play into this as well.

We are making the jump from 12.8.3 up to 2019.5. We held off on 2018.x because every version we tested had something that would really slow down our work flows.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipgod View Post
Hi Randall,

I have the exact same config, same Mac, RAM, HDX, running of SSD .... but I am on Sierra and I am not having the issues you describe. Is there any reason you`re still on El Capitan?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you. We have drive images for all of our machines. We wouldn't lose much time if we had to back rev.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
El Capitan was pretty notorious for graphics related issues, slow downs, laginess, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if moving to Sierra or above helps the situation. Make sure to clone your existing OS onto a separate drive (I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this) before you update it, or wipe it to do a clean install. I usually do a clean install on a separate drive, and once I have everything setup and working well, clone that onto the internal drive on the trashcan.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, I am running an S6 M10. I am still using Eucon 12.8.3 for the moment as there is/was a bug with the 2019 S6 authorization for M10 devices.

I was waiting to upgrade until I knew I had time to call AVID.

Thank You,
Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfbates View Post
Are you running any Eucon devices?

I had similar issues on 10.11 that went away when I upgraded to 10.13.

They came back however when I updated to 2019.5, but were solved by updating Eucon to 2019.5 as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Thank you. We have drive images for all of our machines. We wouldn't lose much time if we had to back rev.

Randall
Gotcha. Always worth a mention, as I've seen a lot of sob stories from those who upgrade without a clear backup plan. Glad to hear you have things well under control!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've been having slowdown when trimming like you describe. But it's seemingly random. 95% of the time it's fine.

FWIW I'm on a completely different system:

Mac Pro 5,1 12-core
OS 10.13.6
SSD's for system and media
Decklink
Native
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search