The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anybody do audio restoration here?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Does anybody do audio restoration here?

Curious if anybody here does audio restoration.

What software do you use for this task?

I currently use Adobe Audition and seem to do fine although a lot of people recommended iZotope RX5 to me.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I do Restoration /Mastering ... been using RX for much of the repairs.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 

I did for a while.

I used Sonic Solutions, Cube-Tec and iZotope RX.
Of these, only RX is still relevant I think.

Randall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
Curious if anybody here does audio restoration.

What software do you use for this task?

I currently use Adobe Audition and seem to do fine although a lot of people recommended iZotope RX5 to me.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

RX7 is great, but there is also a much cheaper good alt, Brusfri.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
We do a lot of restoration and use RX7 and the Restoration Suite from Acon Digital https://acondigital.com/products/restoration-suite/

Both are very nice but take some time to learn.

FWIW
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
We do a lot of restoration and use RX7 and the Restoration Suite from Acon Digital https://acondigital.com/products/restoration-suite/

Both are very nice but take some time to learn.

FWIW
+1 I use them both.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

+1 Izotope RX. I use it for equipment checks as well. Very useful tool.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Restoration of reel to reel tapes

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the studio world, Have been doing live engineering for 12 years. I have recently been tasked to restore some old Reel to Reel tapes... Using RX7, but my problem is that these tapes are a mess!!! I've recorded them into PT, firstly recording both L and R onto stereo tracks, then L and R onto 2 mono tracks and then I tried Recording only L and then R separately... I'm getting bleed from the reverse sides of the tapes, I'm also getting what seems to be 2 different recordings on 1 single track and sometimes at different speeds 1 7/8 IPS and 3 3/4 IPS. I've managed to somewhat restore 1 L track and cleaned it up as well as I could with RX7, but the next bunch all have this "bleed" or "reverse bleed". Any tips welcome. Thank you in advance!!

Best!
T
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Gear Addict
 

Print through from the way the tape was stored.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected83 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the studio world, Have been doing live engineering for 12 years. I have recently been tasked to restore some old Reel to Reel tapes... Using RX7, but my problem is that these tapes are a mess!!! I've recorded them into PT, firstly recording both L and R onto stereo tracks, then L and R onto 2 mono tracks and then I tried Recording only L and then R separately... I'm getting bleed from the reverse sides of the tapes, I'm also getting what seems to be 2 different recordings on 1 single track and sometimes at different speeds 1 7/8 IPS and 3 3/4 IPS. I've managed to somewhat restore 1 L track and cleaned it up as well as I could with RX7, but the next bunch all have this "bleed" or "reverse bleed". Any tips welcome. Thank you in advance!!

Best!
T
I run into tape-engendered bleed-through problems occasionally, but on analog disks produced from tape, not on tape itself, which I rarely deal with anymore. Sometimes I can get rid of the "bled" signal if the level is very low, but this is rare. Usually I run the very real risk of damaging the material I want to preserve if I try to remove the undesirable "bled" material.

I don't mean to depress you. It could be that something like CEDAR would be more helpful than the standard NR programs, but, of course, CEDAR is a whole hell a lot more expensive than the standard NR programs.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Here for the gear
 

That's great, I'll have a look into CEDAR. I've got my hands in my hair here as it's pretty severe. Might have to take it to a restoration company. I'll keep slogging away. Thanks!!
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

No problem.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Print through from the way the tape was stored.
Any ideas on how to counter that? or does it need to go to a restoration company?

Thaaaanks
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Go back in time and store the tape properly...

Barring that, it is going to really be a job of careful editorial and masking.

Randall



Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected83 View Post
Any ideas on how to counter that? or does it need to go to a restoration company?

Thaaaanks
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Barring that, it is going to really be a job of careful editorial and masking.
Careful. Don't overwhelm the guy with detail.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Go back in time and store the tape properly...

Barring that, it is going to really be a job of careful editorial and masking.

Randall
Yep, I'm on it. Thanks
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected83 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the studio world, Have been doing live engineering for 12 years. I have recently been tasked to restore some old Reel to Reel tapes... Using RX7, but my problem is that these tapes are a mess!!! I've recorded them into PT, firstly recording both L and R onto stereo tracks, then L and R onto 2 mono tracks and then I tried Recording only L and then R separately... I'm getting bleed from the reverse sides of the tapes, I'm also getting what seems to be 2 different recordings on 1 single track and sometimes at different speeds 1 7/8 IPS and 3 3/4 IPS. I've managed to somewhat restore 1 L track and cleaned it up as well as I could with RX7, but the next bunch all have this "bleed" or "reverse bleed". Any tips welcome. Thank you in advance!!

Best!
T
Tape print through is something that all people doing restoration work have to deal with on a daily basis. As to the other problem. Someone probably reused the tape on a 1/4 track machine at different speeds. All you can do is find a 1/4 track machine and copy those portions off on to your work station.

I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know how to handle all of these things why did you take on the job in the first place? There are plenty of really good restoration engineers on GS, why not contact on of them?

FWIW
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Tape print through is something that all people doing restoration work have to deal with on a daily basis. As to the other problem. Someone probably reused the tape on a 1/4 track machine at different speeds. All you can do is find a 1/4 track machine and copy those portions off on to your work station.

I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know how to handle all of these things why did you take on the job in the first place? There are plenty of really good restoration engineers on GS, why not contact on of them?

FWIW
This is just one of many tasks in my job here at the studio, it's part of my training, as you can see I've been doing sound for a while. I was just looking for advise. Wasn't there a first time for you? Thanks for the help.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected83 View Post
This is just one of many tasks in my job here at the studio, it's part of my training, as you can see I've been doing sound for a while. I was just looking for advise. Wasn't there a first time for you? Thanks for the help.
I run my own business. I do mastering and restoration. If someone brings in something I don't feel qualified to do I decline and send them to someone else who is qualified. I don't want to "practice" on a client as I don't think that is what they are paying me to do. Now if this a "training" exercise and the client knows it and you are not charging them for the "training" time - go for it.

There were lots of "first times" for me BUT it was done on my own time and I did not charge the client for my learning.

I have been in professional audio for over 40+ years and I think I speak from experience.

Best of luck on the project and let us know how it comes out.
Old 5 days ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

i heard this is proprietary (maybe the service) but its pretty neat.

https://posthaste.digital/music-slayer/

removing music from dialogue from old audio thats mono. (pink panter demo)
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ysoundy / Mastering Forum
10
joe_04_04 / Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone
4
Sotsirc / Music Computers
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump