The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nasty lav mics ?
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Nasty lav mics ?

Hi,

Could you guys take a listen at this clip ?

I work for a production company and every time we do a travel show, or shoot whatever that requires a small shooting crew, they use their own gear and don't send a sound engineer.
Then I often end up having to deal with dialogue clips that sound like this...

I think that the lavs are too blame, do you think that assumption is correct ?

I don't think there's a way to deal with this kind of distortion (listen to the esses especially), but I'd love to be wrong.
Attached Files

BAT1_20190208_A01-XX_005 1-01.wav (725.6 KB, 586 views)

Last edited by Jackie Moon; 12th June 2019 at 02:26 PM..
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict
I would first try clip gaining down all the problematic ess’s but if that doesn’t help then you can try to edit out the really offending bit and replace with a cleaner ess from somewhere else. Have had to do this a lot with crappy lavs
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
I would first try clip gaining down all the problematic ess’s but if that doesn’t help then you can try to edit out the really offending bit and replace with a cleaner ess from somewhere else. Have had to do this a lot with crappy lavs
I don't have time to do anything other than applying a (couple of) deesser and do some automation on it but it does sound like a crappy lav right ? I just wanting to make sure it couldn't be anything else before I ask the producers to inverts some money into new mics.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

You need to know how the lav was positioned, and the brand/type. To reduce esses, I sometimes like to point a lav downwards.
Avoid putting it to the collar, ideally it should be fixed lower, 8-9 inches (20cm+) from the mouth.

Industry-standard lav mics are DPA 4060 and Sanken Cos11. But a quality mic pre-amp and proper gain settings are equally important. I mean, it's possible to get crap audio from a DPA connected to a low budget camera or a Sennheiser G4 with wrong gain settings..
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Bad positioning, low quality mics, clipping in the transmitter or an allround low quality audio input on the camera.

Is it possible to arrange a tech meeting with the crew and the gear they are using? This way you could find the problem.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut

RX7 de-crackle seems to help more than de-essing
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrovolt View Post
Bad positioning, low quality mics, clipping in the transmitter or an allround low quality audio input on the camera.

Is it possible to arrange a tech meeting with the crew and the gear they are using? This way you could find the problem.
The shooting's over but it'll happen again for sure. I'll try to arrange a tech meeting, that's a great idea.
Thanks !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search