Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
Not quite right..
The 12 Core 2.66 was NOT the top model.
I chose it because it wasn't. There's a long story why
and now's now the time for details.
Marti,

I said one of the top models

But I think we can agree it was not the base model that cost 2499 at that time. Which is 2781.49 in today’s money, which is half the price of the base model new mac pro.
Old 4th June 2019
Tesla Model 3 or a fully loaded MacPro...

decisions
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
In possibly a fevered dream, I thought there was mention of being able to use 3 of these cards per chassis. But I may have been delirious. But the card is coming — I thought at the end of the year but I was told recently it will be shipping within a month by a dealer.
I don't see why there'd be any limit, none of the other MTRX chassis cards have one?
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehatpadl View Post
I don't see why there'd be any limit, none of the other MTRX chassis cards have one?
You can only use 6 converter (DA/AD cards) but I imagine that is more to do with power/cooling. There's always the chance (since DAD is in bed with Avid) that Avid asks for a limit built into the chassis firmware (which this will most likely require to be updated.)
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can only use 6 converter (DA/AD cards) but I imagine that is more to do with power/cooling. There's always the chance (since DAD is in bed with Avid) that Avid asks for a limit built into the chassis firmware (which this will most likely require to be updated.)
Ah yes, I forgot about the power supply limit, but that shouldn't apply to a digital card. Surely Avid aren't going to cripple it, that would be crazy. I mean, if they want to charge a MADI I/O tax they should've never built it in the first place. At some point they need to give customers actually what they want. (An AVB card would be nice...)
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not really. The current reference system is 1 MTRX and 2 HD MADI. Now eliminate the 2 HD MADI because those are also in the MTRX box. So it is now 1 MTRX hooked to one ATMOS RMU via MADI or Dante. Very little cabling and direct internal patching from DADman.
Sure, it would be better than what's in place right now.
Still not anywhere close to efficient / well integrated though.
Why would I need any physical IO at all (besides the obvious speaker channels of course)? With the power of the new MacPro it would be absolutely no problem to have the Atmos renderer on the DAW system (it already works).
The only thing that needs to be changed is internal ProTools routing/ADC limitations.

The Atmos integration needs to become much tighter still.
In fact it needs to become part of the core DAW functionality IMO. I hope Dolby licenses the tech to Avid at some point, B2B licensing is their main business model anyways.

I finally for example want to be able to create undipped stems without workarounds, have punching work seamlessly, not be concerned with TC issues (see the post by rcrutz) etc.pp.

Last edited by kosmokrator; 4 weeks ago at 04:34 PM..
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Sure, it would be better than what's in place right now.
Still not anywhere close to efficient / well integrated though.
Why would I need any physical IO at all (besides the obvious speaker channels of course)?.
Because often it's more efficient logistically to work with a multi machine setup for DX, FX, MX dept. and also record to a stem recorder as deliverables work can be laid off to the mix tech crew etc.
A one-machine-mix might only seem alright for smaller projects that won't get conformed during the mix or where everything is handled by one mixer and one editor.

Last edited by apple-q; 5th June 2019 at 10:27 AM..
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Because often it's more efficient logistically to work with a multi machine setup for DX, FX, MX dept. and also record to a stem recorder as deliverables work can be laid off the the mix tech crew etc.
A one-machine-mix might only seem alright for smaller projects that won't get conformed during the mix or where every thing is handled my one mixer and one editor.
Point taken.
The option to have both workflows available and served well would be best then.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

To expand on what the good doctor said...

We have around 30 - 40 trashcans here at work. 7 Audio, 14 Video edit, 10 Graphic design and a few for media transcoding.

Each system was closer to $10k. The sonnet chassis was part of it sure, but we also needed dual 10gb fiber (Atto thunderbolt boxes), new AJA 4k Thunderbolt boxes and Thunderbolt to USB/FW/NIC boxes. External HDDs as temp work drives... It all adds up.

Randall

Quote:
With the existing "Trash Can Mac Pro's" for those of us wanting to use
HDX cards we had to buy this:
https://www.sonnetstore.com/collecti...mac-pro-server

Right off the top we save $2 K (once the unit is set up with expansion bays).
So when you take a trashcan and lay it out it costs about $7500.00
Now these new MAC Pro's and their price seem good in comparison.
My Cheese Grater Macs cost $5K in 2012.
They have lasted 7 years so far.
If we take the cost based on 250 days a year of work, divided by
7 years it costs less than $2.86 a day!
It makes the new Macs and the flexibility and power look that more attractive!
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

The Atmos integration needs to become much tighter still.
In fact it needs to become part of the core DAW functionality IMO. I hope Dolby licenses the tech to Avid at some point, B2B licensing is their main business model anyways.

Agreed.

I really want to be able to bounce faster than real time an ADM .WAV or rerender stems out of pro tools for an ATMOS session.

On the subject of the MTRX, depending on what the limitations of the Digiport cards are, you can run one MTRX as an interface for 2 pro tools systems as it is. With four cards, you could still have a seperate Dx/Mx machine and an Fx machine using the MXTR as IO and have a Stem recorder hooked up to it. With Eight expansion card slots and the IO built in, this could be the hub for the entire dub stage.

Randall
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

I could be wrong, but I believe that one PCIe card is an expansion break out for USB/TB/ETC and the second is being used for video - leaving 6.

Randall

Quote:
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe that one PCIe card is an expansion break out for USB/TB/ETC and the second is being used for video - leaving 6.

Randall
Cross conversations. I and lukehatpadl were discussing the expansion possibilities of the MTRX/AX32 (limit of 6 DA/AD cards) and not the new Mac Pro.

Last edited by pentagon; 5th June 2019 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Honestly can't tell anymore looking at the rear slots where that expansion breakout is
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

What is the last DSP plug in released? Why are we talking about buying more cards when plug ins don't even run on it?
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah but for the folks who need those super computers that money actually isn't that big a deal. The people who will feel the price burn are those for whom the base model won't be enough and will need multiple computers in the $10-20k range.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
Is apple out of their minds!!!!! It's already obsolete. No pcie gen 4. No way
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Just wait for the dual processor models (which won't be the W chip)
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepost View Post
Tesla Model 3 or a fully loaded MacPro...

decisions

I'd go with the Tesla, since both the fully Loaded Macpro and a Delorean need 1.21 gigawatts:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

More info on this from Avid:

Max voices will be HDX4 (1024 voices) even with HDX6. Extra cards (the two additional) will just add to plug-processing power and i/o. (1024) This seems to be the max voices even if the HDX cards get their promised voices increase update.

All 6 cards can be used for I/O (so max 384 I/O)

There will be a new Pro Tools update to support all this.

And info from DAD for the upcoming (this month) MTRX Digilink Mini expansion cards, there will be a limit of 6 cards per MTRX (so not all 8 slots can be used.) Including the 1 set on the chassis, it means 1 MTRX can address more than a single HDX6 system can support (good thing you can connect multiple Pro Tools HDX systems to 1 MTRX)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Those were the days ..
Attached Thumbnails
Avid Reacts to the New Mac Pro-apple-costs-less-button-5cfe3e19cd30d__700.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Avid responds ‘great we can sell more HDX cards’

Rest of the world ‘why do I have to buy HDX cards again? Shouldn’t this Mac Pro make them pointless?’

Rob
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Those were the days ..
To be quite honest, those were apples worst days....Jobs was gone and it started to show how much Apple needed him. Or maybe that was why you posted it...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
Is apple out of their minds!!!!! It's already obsolete. No pcie gen 4. No way
You better read this before you talk about PCIE Gen 4:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...256gbs-in-2021
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You better read this before you talk about PCIE Gen 4:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...256gbs-in-2021
Well, I think the gist of the post maybe was that gen 3.0 while the most common is also no longer the latest ratified and "available" version, gen 4.0 is (or, technically; will be starting July 7th). So launching this new Mac with 3.0 seems like they're behind the curve, not even "on" it.

And on a more technical note: From what I can understand there are some pretty clear increased demands on chipsets and motherboards in order to handle even PCIe 4.0 because of power draw and signal integrity. This translates into higher manufacturing costs and in turn higher consumer prices for motherboards. So it's interesting from that perspective that they skipped 4.0 and settled for the previous, and it will (would) be interesting to see what a potential 5.0 adoption in 2021 would look like to the user in terms of price if coming from Apple.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The point is Gen 4 might just be a transitional one. That's may be why they aren't coming out of the gate with it. Looking at Pro Tools working with the New Mac Pro's is fine. Let's see how they work with existing HDX cards and Native.
That will indicate what might be next for Avid other than raising PT subscription prices.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sure. I get that it's a "safe" bet, and we in audio hardly need more than this. All tech is transitional though of course so it's just a matter of timing and price.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search