The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Video Slave 4 and AJA Kona Lhi card
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Video Slave 4 and AJA Kona Lhi card

Here's a question for the hive mind... I'm running Video Slave 4 on a 2.66 quad core Xeon, linked to my PT system. In the VS4 Mac, I have a AJA Kona Lhi and break out box. I'm running HDMI out of the Kona to a HDMI distribution box, and then to my Viewsonic monitor. Here's the problem. I can play any codec video in VS4, go out the NVIDIA card of the Mac, and it will play on the monitor. But, if I go out of the AJA, only some codecs will play. The ones that don't, the monitor gives me the message "input not supported" and goes black. Any ideas? I'd really like to use that Kona. Is there a type of video monitor that will take whatever the Kona throws at it?

Edit: A little research has revealed that HDMI monitors are finicky about their input, and the HDMI output of the Kona will put out signals they don't like. The work around might be going out the SDI to a SDI to HDMI converter to my dist amp to my monitors. I get the converter tomorrow, so we'll see.....

Last edited by soundboy; 1st June 2019 at 01:52 AM..
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

I've had a similar issue with my Kona Lhi and the LG monitor I have in my booth for ADR: the combo will only work with 29.97 video. I don't have the breakout box, but I've already tried going SDI to an HDMI converter with no luck. I've tried every adjustment in the Kona control panel, and spent some time with Aja tech support, but nothing has worked. So I've basically given up and just convert all my incoming videos to 29.97 for ADR sessions. I hope you discover something I've missed and come up with a fix.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Could it be a frame rate issue? I still run into lcd modern monitors that don't work with 23.98
Old 1st June 2019
Gear Head

I haven’t used VS 4 much yet, but on VS3 there are different video output settings available, so it can convert on the fly (I think that’s what it does).

I’m not near that rig for a few days, so can’t be more specific right now..

I seem to recall having a 1080p 23.98 video that wouldn’t display, but in vs3 I could choose 720p 23.98 and it would be fine. I think there is a checkbox to “follow source video” or similar, so unchecking it allowed other options.

Sorry im not more precise.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

It could be frame rate issue, it could also possibly (not very likely) be chroma subsampling -- like anything bigger than 4:2:0 might not be supported by consumer TVs.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Update: the SDI output didn't work, and now I can't even get color bars out of the thing. I'm beginning to think I got the wrong card... The AJA test program sees the card, so it's seated. It's seeing vid ref. It just isn't being seen by my projector or TV. Both of which should accept 1080p.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Contact Aja support on Monday.
They have the best support!!
Old 2nd June 2019
Does your Kona work with other applications, e.g. Pro Tools? Have you tried playing back that clip using Pro Tools Video engine?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search