The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mongolia steppe sounds collection
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

Mongolia steppe sounds collection

Hello
Starting a documentary taking place in Mongolia steppe. Cannot find any commercial library. Is anyone here have ideas / sounds ?
Please contact me in pm if you can help.
Many thanks in advance
Simon
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Hi!
First of all, if it's a documentary the primary source of sound is what has been documented. Are you short of wildtracks? or do you want to spice it up a little beacause it feels empty?
I don't know any specific libraries, but for inspiration you can have a look at "The Eagle Huntress", set in Mongolia also with plenty of nature scenes.
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

Thank for your reply and inspiration.
This was shooted by a one man unit solo director.
With a 5d camera. So forget about wild tracks... I need stereo ambiences...
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

When in doubt, Prairie wind.
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Addict

Sound Recordist Freddie Claire recorded Mongolian sounds for a BBC doc a while ago, they're available on the collection below. Maybe ask him if he has more/could help you out..
https://sonniss.com/sound-effects/worldwide-ambience/
https://www.shuttersound.co.uk/sound-cv
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Addict

It's also worthwhile to see if the project can send you out there to do some field recordings. That is the absolute best as far as getting sound effects for world building in a documentary film. It's not always feasible, but you'd be surprised. Even on some pretty tight-budget projects I've been able to travel out and do custom field recording all over the world. Sometimes it's bundled onto a final pickup shoot with a skeleton crew, sometimes it's just me and a director or producer (often helpful for location access).

An added benefit is even if you are only there for a couple days you are able to immerse yourself in the soundscapes and gain an understanding which then helps in the recreations, plus you usually get interesting adventures out of it My philosophy is observe/immerse --> learn/understand --> recreate. I've been able to live in makeshift mushroom hunter camps, recorded outdoor foley on Icelandic lava fields, and gone on tour with David Byrne, all in the sake of custom library recording for documentary projects, and they were all amazing adventures AND extremely useful for the films. Some of those trips seemed like longshots at the time too, it never hurts to inquire.

Otherwise, yeah, looking at my usual go-to sources for sound libraries, Mongolian sounds seem really scarce unfortunately. I wish I could point you to some good libraries. Newmann's advice about contacting recordists who have worked over there is a good one, you could also see if there are any production people who you might be able to hire to capture some specific sounds over there for you. They do film a lot of travel shows over there. Otherwise try looking at general outdoor ambiances from around that region (countrysides of China or Russia perhaps?) or if worse comes to worse general outdoor countryside sounds like wind in grass etc. Just try and do as much research as you can, for example I didn't realize there are't really any crickets (or many insects in general) in Iceland until I visited there. That would have been an embarrassing addition to the nighttime shots if I hadn't learned that.

And very very lastly, I'm going to beat this drum until it's a dead horse, but for those who say documentaries don't have sound design, I do just as much sound editorial, sound design and creative mixing in my nonfiction projects as I do in my fiction ones. Especially in verite docs, detailed worldbuilding can be VERY important.

Last edited by Leverson; 5th June 2019 at 03:41 AM..
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post

And very very lastly, I'm going to beat this drum until it's a dead horse, but for those who say documentaries don't have sound design, I do just as much sound editorial, sound design and creative mixing in my nonfiction projects as I do in my fiction ones. Especially in verite docs, detailed worldbuilding can be VERY important.

^^^^^^^This all day long ^^^^^^^
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
When in doubt, Prairie wind.
Yup, Prairie Wind, stay away for Yellow Sky Wind, thats reserved for westerns!!!
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmann View Post
Sound Recordist Freddie Claire recorded Mongolian sounds for a BBC doc a while ago, they're available on the collection below. Maybe ask him if he has more/could help you out..
https://sonniss.com/sound-effects/worldwide-ambience/
https://www.shuttersound.co.uk/sound-cv
Great info !!!! Will try to contact him. Many many thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search