The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
new mac for 2019.5
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

new mac for 2019.5

i want to upgrade from os 10.10 with PTHD 12.5 to brand new mac with mohave and PT 2019.5 ultimate

i'm gonna run huuuge film mixing sessions on it

how much RAM is too much RAM?

obviously the more RAM the better - but maybe there's a limit above which adding more RAM does not affect protools
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

In film mixing, RAM is usually only used for disk cache of audio files. So if your audio for a session is only 20GB of files and you have 64GB in the system, a lot of that will not be used.

And video is never cached by Pro Tools. Always streamed off disk.

(I should mention, if you run other programs in the background: Soundminer, iZotope RX, etc., they can use the RAM that is not being used by Pro Tools)
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Addict

I bought factory installed 32GB with the idea of upgrading it to 64 or 128 in cheaper 3rd party RAM. And... so far I've never needed to. I'd still suggest 64GB to be safe for whatever the future throws, but wanted to share my experience with what I've had.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search