The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing sound effects - references?
Old 4 weeks ago
Mixing sound effects - references?

Do you use reference tracks when mixing sound effects (any kind of)?
I know how it is during mixing music, you take a reference and compare it to your track visually and sonically. What about mixing sound effects? Is the process same? Do you take a wav file of a film and compare it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

No, you just work in a calibrated environment and make it feel good. Mixing is about responding to (supporting, enhancing) the image with sound, and since no other film has had the visuals you'll be referring to, there is no point to directly compare. That being said, you can always watch/listen to other films for reference. Try Apocalypse Now, Roma, The Incredibles... I could go on and on...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

As a starter, you can use a reference track. But don’t get too obsessed with it, at some point it’ll block creativity. Actually, both creators and audience already have an aural memory, we just know how a car chase or a fight should sound. We’re conditioned, as they call it.

So once you know what you want, how to get there and know your tools, you don’t need a reference track. And yes, having a decent calibrated setup in a treated room also helps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't use a reference track, per se, but when working on a project I will watch a few films from the same/similar genres while I'm doing the prep work (cue sheets, etc.), although I have been doing this less and less as I gain experience. I'm not looking to copy them, but as inspiration for "style," be it DX, Foley, sound effects or mixing - how the sound designer/supervisor and their sound team approached the film.

The real reason for reference tracks is not to make your music or film mixes sound like other music/film mixes but to be sure that your mix will translate in the real world.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search