The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Screenshot of a megasession
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Screenshot of a megasession

Hi,
I came across this screenshot on linkedin
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...83069410353152

It's small but if you zoom in, you can easily read the labels. Ok so I'm trying to decipher the abbreviations in order to see what's going on. By coincidence I was just preparing a diagram of a mix session so this comes in very handy. I don't know if that's the kind of complexity you guys handle usually or if this an exaggerated example, but anyway..

I will have to split this into several parts, otherwise this gets too long and time consuming.

So far I got, from top to bottom:
Video track
6 x audio tracks (stereo or mono?)
[DIAL], [ADR], [VO], [BOOM],[LAVS], [PD fx] these all seem related to dialog recorded differently, althoug I'm not sure about the difference between the more generic DIAL and BOOM for example. Also I don't know what PD fx stands for. These are audio tracks (but I see no audio regions there).. with subtle automation on the DIAL track and almost no auto on the others.

Following are 5 aux tracks labeled
PX Dial , Px Amb, PX Efx, PX Foley, PX Mus , all quite self-explanatory. These are 7.1(?) auxes I think, with limiters inserted?

Following are 10 aux tracks with different reverbs inserted, and different number of output channels. Rev D (stereo) , RvDLCR (5.1), RevDSurr (7.1), RevVOsr (7.1)

Strange thing is one of them is an audio track(?) There's also a subharmonic effect (LoAirEFX)

Thank you!!
-------End of part 1------

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Looks like a pretty standard session for a pretty simple project.

PD FX = PFX = Production FX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi,
I came across this screenshot on linkedin
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...83069410353152

It's small but if you zoom in, you can easily read the labels. Ok so I'm trying to decipher the abbreviations in order to see what's going on. By coincidence I was just preparing a diagram of a mix session so this comes in very handy. I don't know if that's the kind of complexity you guys handle usually or if this an exaggerated example, but anyway..

I will have to split this into several parts, otherwise this gets too long and time consuming.

So far I got, from top to bottom:
Video track
6 x audio tracks (stereo or mono?)
[DIAL], [ADR], [VO], [BOOM],[LAVS], [PD fx] these all seem related to dialog recorded differently, althoug I'm not sure about the difference between the more generic DIAL and BOOM for example. Also I don't know what PD fx stands for. These are audio tracks (but I see no audio regions there).. with subtle automation on the DIAL track and almost no auto on the others.

Following are 5 aux tracks labeled
PX Dial , Px Amb, PX Efx, PX Foley, PX Mus , all quite self-explanatory. These are 7.1(?) auxes I think, with limiters inserted?

Following are 10 aux tracks with different reverbs inserted, and different number of output channels. Rev D (stereo) , RvDLCR (5.1), RevDSurr (7.1), RevVOsr (7.1)

Strange thing is one of them is an audio track(?) There's also a subharmonic effect (LoAirEFX)

Thank you!!
-------End of part 1------

Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Top channels are VCA masters
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also, there's A mono FX and B mono FX, A Backgrounds - Air, B Backgrounds LFE, C Backgrounds - Traffic, D Backgrounds - Walla, E backgrounds - Misc. That's typical (yet a tad skimpy) for film track laying of backgrounds.

From an FX standpoint, that session is pretty light!

I wonder if the printed reverb is a reverse-reverb -- easier to have printed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

haha not so mega after all I'm used to dubbing sessions which are quite simpler..

following the reverb auxs is a guide track and a bunch of tracks for the main characters dialogue, and some generic DIA tracks and production fx.

I don't know what the small Group called [RT] with Rt1 might be.

Could you explain what's the idea behind having an A FX and B FX separation, instead of a larger FX group?

Obviously there is no music in this session, do you think it's being mixed in parallel on another system and later imported in this session?

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Roomtone / Fill.

A / B / C ... predubs allow for smart separation of elements. You’ll have VCA faders for each predub. Example: A holds car engine, B tire skids, C impacts etc.

Quote:
haha not so mega after all I'm used to dubbing sessions which are quite simpler..

following the reverb auxs is a guide track and a bunch of tracks for the main characters dialogue, and some generic DIA tracks and production fx.

Could you explain what's the idea behind having an A FX and B FX separation, instead of a larger FX group?

Obviously there is no music in this session, do you think it's being mixed in parallel on another system and later imported in this session?

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

...in addition, it can make it easier to organize the editorial process to split things in "food groups" as Gary Gegan calls them, that way you make sure you have full coverage. From a background perspective, it is better to have as separable elements as possible so you could, for instance, push up the wind, but bring down the birds. Far better than using only 1 or 2 BG's, but sometimes not possible given scenes and background sources. When mixing super busy and dense scenes, it makes it SO much easier to find a sound that you or The Director wants raised or lowered.

Yes, I would think the music would be separate, though it typically gets put with the DX.

Also, from a stem standpoint, you have to have multiple instances of a room's reverb -- one for each stem... that's not something I can see in this session.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
RT is a common name in the UK for radio/telephone tracks (anything that needs to run through some kind of futzed effects chain). Never seen dedicated room tone tracks but maybe some people have those.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

All I'm seeing is the offline clip on A m5.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
All I'm seeing is the offline clip on A m5.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

lol
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

What does that PX stand for in aux masters?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

These appear to be the stem busses. They look like they have limiters in them, and all the FX predubs and dialogue units are assigned to an output named “P”-something. The output of these auxes would go to the record tracks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search