The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gears for foley
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Gears for foley

Hi Guys!

I just want to know what kind of equipment do you use for foley.

We gonna build a small foley stage but we would love to buy very good quality equipment.
I can understand the number about S/N, Dynamic, polar pattern etc, but would love to hear some opinion from some of you who do this for a long time.

Preamp:
Pueblo? Neve? what do you use?

Mic:
RodeNT1
Neumann km series
sanken co-100
Contact mic?

What else? What do you use?
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I've seen a lot of these on foley stages: https://www.sonosax.ch/product/sx-es64-es84/

I've also recorded through Sound Devices MixPre.

For mics MKH416 or MKH40/50 works great as a main spot mic, then you can use a quiet large diaphragm condenser for the room mic and sometimes it's nice to have a alternate spot mic that treats really harsh sounds like broken glass or clicky footsteps with a bit of softness also.

Overall it's good to have gear that is in the same realm as the production sound because the foley and production sound have to glue together.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I know you hear this a lot but it's more true for foley than lots of other stuff: Spend your time on treating the room first. great gear can't save a bad room. I'd honestly rather have a good performance in a great room, recorded by mediocre microphones, than any other configuration of those adjectives.

Last edited by thebryanparker; 4 weeks ago at 11:48 PM.. Reason: cuz I can't type for ****
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebryanparker View Post
I know you hear this a lot but it's more true for foley than lots of other stuff: Spend your time on treating the room first. great gear can't save a bad room. I'd honestly rather have a good performance in a great room, recorded my mediocre microphones, than any other configuration of those adjectives.
I agree with Bryan 100%.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Now that we have that out of the way, we can talk gear .

I like MKHs in general, MKH80s in particular. Maybe MKH800 or 80x0 are better for slowing things down in post.

Schoeps is good on delicate stuff with a lot of highend that's not too quiet, as they are noisier than MKHs.

With mics like schoeps, neumann km84, gefell sdcs I miss some weight. And they are noisier than I'd like for some uses.

I'm not really specialized on foley though. That's just my observations when doing sound for games and short animated stuff in my small studio (or in the field).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We use Amek Purepath mic pres.
Great for anything but particularly for foley.
It's a full channel strip with great filters and Eq + compressor.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search