The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crossfader Plugin for switching between sources in an M&E Metering & Analysis Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Crossfader Plugin for switching between sources in an M&E

I'm looking for a plugin that would switch between my FX stem and the FX units that make it, so I could use my FX stem in an M&E, except for the times when I want to use the units, or in cases I want to compare them.

A crossfader like on a DJ rig would do it great, Nugen AB Assist won't work because it seems to only be mono. What I want is a plugin that passes its input but will pass its sidechain alternately.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

If it’s only to A - B compare: Route all your FX units to the track with your FX stem. If you toggle the „input monitoring“ button, you’re switching between the FX stem and the tracks feeding it. (However, not automatable, if that‘s what you‘re after.)

There‘s also this plug-in here that might work, but I haven‘t tried it: https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/4u-blindtest/

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
I'm looking for a plugin that would switch between my FX stem and the FX units that make it, so I could use my FX stem in an M&E, except for the times when I want to use the units, or in cases I want to compare them.

A crossfader like on a DJ rig would do it great, Nugen AB Assist won't work because it seems to only be mono. What I want is a plugin that passes its input but will pass its sidechain alternately.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuG View Post
If it’s only to A - B compare: Route all your FX units to the track with your FX stem. If you toggle the „input monitoring“ button, you’re switching between the FX stem and the tracks feeding it. (However, not automatable, if that‘s what you‘re after.)

There‘s also this plug-in here that might work, but I haven‘t tried it: https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/4u-blindtest/
Toggling the input is the right idea, but I want to the transitions to be automatable. The HOFA is the right idea except I’d want three separate crossfaders, for FX, BG and Foley.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm not sure how that would achieved by a plugin...and maybe I don't know exactly what you want to do or why. I simply create M+E FX tracks that add to the FX Stem into an M+E bus. That's automatable -- FX Stem only/M+E adds. But you probably already do something like that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I'm not sure how that would achieved by a plugin...and maybe I don't know exactly what you want to do or why. I simply create M+E FX tracks that add to the FX Stem into an M+E bus. That's automatable -- FX Stem only/M+E adds. But you probably already do something like that.
By default, I want to use the MX and FX stems as the source for the M&E, but I want the option to switch over to the units in some scenes or some cases.

You should just use your units. Don't your automated units match your stems?

That's definitely the goal.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
By default, I want to use the MX and FX stems as the source for the M&E, but I want the option to switch over to the units in some scenes or some cases.

You should just use your units. Don't your automated units match your stems?

That's definitely the goal.
Sure. I use the units feeding Auxes and I monitor the M+E Aux. As I said, it's the full FX units plus the M+E adds track(s), so I am always monitoring units, I don't use the printed stem. I have never had to alter the MX for an M+E...but maybe I will some time confront the need.

So for me, I don't have a need for a plugin to switch based on how I work as I can automate anything in the units or auxes as needed.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Sorry for the aside, but; what is "units"? After all this time this is the first time I've seen it used..

(and is this commonly used?)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Sorry for the aside, but; what is "units"? After all this time this is the first time I've seen it used..

(and is this commonly used?)
The cut tracks, the things you're starting from in the mix, the "elements." Units mix into predubs, predubs mix into stems, stems mix into printmasters.

I guess these were terms I heard in LA pretty frequently, I still use them but I'm not sure how common they are. (I've never seen an actual cut 35mm unit in the wild, it's just what people I worked with, when I was an assistant, called their sessions.)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Cool, thx. It's weird that I haven't bumped into the term until now...
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search