The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 Dimensional Dialog Editing with iZotope RX Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

2 Dimensional Dialog Editing with iZotope RX

Hey guys, after explaining this technique to a colleague I realized it would be worth doing a quick video to help others.

I've been using iZotope since RX 2, and am a big fan of what it can do in the right hands. Over the years they have added a grip of modules that dialog editors have learned to use (and abuse --- looking at you Dialog Isolate!). But one of the best features is the ability to edit in both time and frequency domains using good old fashioned copy/paste commands.

Anyways hope this helps somebody out there, and if anyone has requests for how-to vids please comment below and I will get to them as I have time.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Nicely explained!
Old 2 weeks ago
Discovering this completely changed the way I cut dialogue. I find myself lassoing roughly the same shape to copy/paste out ticks and mouth noises constantly. I wish there was a way to save a selection shape as a preset.
Old 2 weeks ago
Very helpful!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

nice. thanx!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Very well put together! Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

While this is a very worthy technique and I use it a lot, I think you glossed over spectral repair’s usefulness in this case. The key to spectral is in fact “messing with sliders” but really once you get a grasp on what settings you need for different problem it can be very fast and incredibly powerful (I think it would have worked here). The other really powerful technique I don’t see here is zooming in on the region you’re editing when you are getting “surgical”. Last trick I like is sometimes you can just silence (shift+s) a small enough selection and it will kill it and not leave a hole which also may have worked on your little bumps.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan01 View Post
While this is a very worthy technique and I use it a lot, I think you glossed over spectral repair’s usefulness in this case.
Definitely. Wanted to keep it short and specific to this trick, which I have not seen well-documented online. On projects like these where there isn't 6-8 weeks for a dialog edit I need to stay agile and use what works quickly. For my workflow this method is faster than Spectral Repair, and I do often zoom in on problem areas - changing brush size and frequency spread for maximum results.

I do use Spectral Repair for mid and high frequency noises sometimes but the lower frequencies require a careful touch in order to not interrupt continuous signals (in this case a generator).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_T View Post
Definitely. Wanted to keep it short and specific to this trick, which I have not seen well-documented online. On projects like these where there isn't 6-8 weeks for a dialog edit I need to stay agile and use what works quickly. For my workflow this method is faster than Spectral Repair, and I do often zoom in on problem areas - changing brush size and frequency spread for maximum results.

I do use Spectral Repair for mid and high frequency noises sometimes but the lower frequencies require a careful touch in order to not interrupt continuous signals (in this case a generator).
Sounds great what you did! I've also found the copy/paste workflow especially useful in cars and to replace off screen directions that are called during takes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nice. Just talked to my team some days ago and wished for some tutorials about advanced RX use.
Any chance one of you guys could do some more of these short videos?

If you'd be located close to here I'd book a training for my guys..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I came across a helpful set of RX7 tutorials the other day while refreshing my training library. I have used spectral repair for quite some time, but never found a good explanation for the difference between attenuate and the other modes. Turns out the other modes are quite powerful and possibly faster/better than copy/paste.

The same course also covers all the other RX7 modules and I picked up several new details I wasn't aware off.

https://www.macprovideo.com/video/iz...air-operation- (this site is subscription based/paid content)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Ya the real key to RX is understanding what the modules do in relation to the problems you can hear. In dialogue editing I find that De-Click, Mouth De-Click, Spectral Repair, De-Clip, De-Ess, Ambience Match, and Dialogue Isolate are the key players along with Copy+Paste. Each tool has it's own unique applications and workflows, but if I were training I would start with the two de-clickers and spectral repair.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

For cleaning just a small time-frequency selection, Ambience Match can be even faster than this good copy-paste technique.

I have the 'output ambience only' option checked, usually a -2 dB trim, and I always 'learn' the Ambience Match tool when starting with a new clip to clean. For several types of noises/clicks/bumps is just perfect.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
For cleaning just a small time-frequency selection, Ambience Match can be even faster than this good copy-paste technique.

I have the 'output ambience only' option checked, usually a -2 dB trim, and I always 'learn' the Ambience Match tool when starting with a new clip to clean. For several types of noises/clicks/bumps is just perfect.
Copy+paste and ambience match are appropriate for different situations. Ambience match never gets tones or hums right and can stick out if it's interrupting complex high frequency sounds. But for patching smallish things in a fairly steady mid range ambience match is great and quick.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
Nice. Just talked to my team some days ago and wished for some tutorials about advanced RX use.
Any chance one of you guys could do some more of these short videos?

If you'd be located close to here I'd book a training for my guys..
You buy my ticket and I would gladly take a flight back to my birth country!

What specific subjects do you need the videos for? I'd be interested in making more if it helped out. A couple areas I'd want to show that seem to be issues for most dialog editors:

1. How to clean lavs using different RX modules (when to use each one)
2. The "do no harm" philosophy of dialog editing (make sure you aren't just making things sound different, but actually improving the sound quality)
3. Different techniques for removing transient noises and sustained one
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yep, this video shows pretty much 80% of how I use RX. This and declick. It's analog to how I used to use phothoshop with clone tool "back in the day" and it's surprisingly powerful. I mean without RX I wouldn't be able to use some really nice sfx recordings that have some obvious and minor flaws.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_T View Post
You buy my ticket and I would gladly take a flight back to my birth country!

What specific subjects do you need the videos for? I'd be interested in making more if it helped out. A couple areas I'd want to show that seem to be issues for most dialog editors:

1. How to clean lavs using different RX modules (when to use each one)
2. The "do no harm" philosophy of dialog editing (make sure you aren't just making things sound different, but actually improving the sound quality)
3. Different techniques for removing transient noises and sustained one
That list would definitely cover a lot of ground!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search