The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Exponential Audio: Stratus vs. Symphony – your thoughts
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Addict

Exponential Audio: Stratus vs. Symphony – your thoughts

Good morning fellow Post-folk,

I'm looking at the 2 exponential audio verbs, Stratus and Symphony. listening, they both seem very awesome. TBH, i'm torn.

That said, i'd love to know your opinions on them. Which do you like better? Why?

What do you find the difference, practically, to your ears?

Which is more common in the post world?

Any other insight?

Thanks!
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I love Stratus for dialogue. Very transparent, good for subtle exterior stuff too. Symphony is rich, much like the R2, and great for music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
Good morning fellow Post-folk,

I'm looking at the 2 exponential audio verbs, Stratus and Symphony. listening, they both seem very awesome. TBH, i'm torn.

That said, i'd love to know your opinions on them. Which do you like better? Why?

What do you find the difference, practically, to your ears?

Which is more common in the post world?

Any other insight?

Thanks!
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

I haven't tried the others, but my understanding is Stratus is sort of built upon Phoenixverb and Symphony on R2, yes? And the latter are maybe more along the lines of 'colored' and 'musical' reverbs whereas the former are more 'neutral' and possibly more suitable for unobtrusive post-production scenarios.

Would that be about right?
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks for the replies thus far.

One other question– the 3D option, anyone using it?
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

I have r2 surround, pheonix and r4 ... also recently got symphony. For dialog i'm 80% in mono, so with r4 (and sometimes r2/phoenix) I was pretty well set for dialog. Atleast I can't tell the difference between r4 and stratus on a mono track, which might be my ear isn't good enough and I'm primarily in mono for dialog. On the other hand fx/music is often always at quad/5.1+, and symphony is definatly giving me a lift from what I was doing before. If I had the money, I'd have gotten both though for that 20% when dialog is not mono (i.e. especially trying to mix in walla to my mono tracks).

(also using the 3d for sound design with symphony)
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

I have used it in 3d for ATMOS mixes. For that it works pretty well. It wants to be 7.1.2. I have had better results using two verbs, not connected and having the second verb send into objects - but that is just me.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
Thanks for the replies thus far.

One other question– the 3D option, anyone using it?
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Addict

I was just at a demo earlier this week that was presented by Michael Carnes. From what I saw, seems the Stratus. The plethora of presets is overwhelming. If you have any iZotope products you can upgrade to the Exponential Audio Stereo Reverb Bundle (which includes PhoenixVerb, NIMBUS, R4, and Excalibur) for $199 and you'll get %35 off Stratus msrp $399 (making that about $260) so for the whole shebang about $460.

But I have a feeling for black Friday there'll be a huge discount or IMHO in the future they might combine all of these (and I mean all reverbs) into one big package for a discount

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search