The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix Review for Remote Client
Old 23rd April 2019
Mix Review for Remote Client

Anybody here doing mix reviews with the client viewing/giving real time notes from a remote location?

I'm told Source Connect might do this, I'm just not sure how involved or reliable it is.

Thanks much

-Danny
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear
I've done this frequently with advertising clients, when the audio quality is assumed and they just want to hear the performance and design of the spot.

I would be scared of doing it for a full mix review. We have no idea what the client will be listening on, how noisy or distracting the environment is, and whether they're hearing any noises or hits that aren't part of my mix.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Source connect works great. Use it all the time. You use the remote transport plug in to control another pro tools rig on the receiving end with video.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Head

Also, but not in real time, Frame IO could do this.
The client can make notes on the timeline, which you can download as text file.

After Frame IO is now integrated in Resolve, this would be a great feature to be implemented in Protools IMO!

But Avid tries to "collaborate" on their own way I'm afraid..
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

I have used source connect in the past for studio to studio reviews of feature length programming. It took a bit to get the TC offset correct. This was before the Source Connect live or whatever it is called.

I know a few months ago, either here or on the DUC, someone brought up a solution that they liked better. Recently I have been looking for that post but have been drawing a blank. I believe it was a subscription service that started with an 'E'.

Frame I/O looks nice, but it has the same issue that sending Quicktimes over does in that you don't have the real time interaction that a producer and mixer should. The changes that are being requested take next to no time, but getting feedback can take hours.

Randall

EDIT: I was able to find the old post on the DUC. There were two other real time pieces of software being used SourceLinkPro and Evercast.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Mafia View Post
Anybody here doing mix reviews with the client viewing/giving real time notes from a remote location?

I'm told Source Connect might do this, I'm just not sure how involved or reliable it is.

Thanks much

-Danny

Last edited by quadraphonics; 24th April 2019 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: update
Old 24th April 2019
Thanks for all of the great info. Much appreciated.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Also, but not in real time, Frame IO could do this.
The client can make notes on the timeline, which you can download as text file.

After Frame IO is now integrated in Resolve, this would be a great feature to be implemented in Protools IMO!

But Avid tries to "collaborate" on their own way I'm afraid..
We use a similar tool than Frame IO here that provides the possibility to download a CSV file with TC and the comments.
You can then import this as PT markers with EdiMarker.

As for real time collaboration, what the others have said. For audio-only, there's a gazillion possibilities. With video you can look at Source Live.

Source Connect requires a DAW on the other end, which of course works but is not as convenient for the client as a streaming link.

Last edited by kosmokrator; 24th April 2019 at 10:15 PM..
Old 24th April 2019
Thanks Kosmo.

I was ankle deep into Source Live, but the 10 second delay is a bit of a deal-breaker.

Now I'm checking into Session Link Pro.

Last edited by Sonic Mafia; 24th April 2019 at 11:50 PM..
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
We use a similar tool than Frame IO here that provides the possibility to download a CSV file with TC and the comments.
You can then import this as PT markers with EdiMarker.
What similar tool do you use? The CSV files from Frame IO are not being read by EdiMarker here..
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
What similar tool do you use? The CSV files from Frame IO are not being read by EdiMarker here..
A custom enterprise solution by a competitor of Frame IO where we can chance certain things that normal users can't.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
A custom enterprise solution by a competitor of Frame IO where we can chance certain things that normal users can't.
That being said, if Frame.io already ouputs CSV files you can very probably modify them with a small Perl script so EdiMarker can read it.
Should be an easy hack.
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Addict

I've always bounced a QT file and then use QT pro to compress it even more since sometimes a QT can be 200mb+ down to under 20MB and email it

They can watch it on their laptop, iPhone, etc
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I set one up using Source Connect Pro X for a 5.1 mix, and it worked flawlessly once we got the offset correct. I thought it worked better than all previous versions of SC I have used.
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Head

Source-Live has only a 2 (maybe 3 max second) latency when the viewer/listener side (client) uses the low latency mode on the iOS iPhone/iPad app or the Mac OS Source-Live Player App. All the Source-Live apps for the listener/ viewer side are free. Source-Live has a higher latency but it seems to keep consistently compared to other systems that are based on browsers only for the client.
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix-er View Post
Source-Live has only a 2 (maybe 3 max second) latency when the viewer/listener side (client) uses the low latency mode on the iOS iPhone/iPad app or the Mac OS Source-Live Player App. All the Source-Live apps for the listener/ viewer side are free. Source-Live has a higher latency but it seems to keep consistently compared to other systems that are based on browsers only for the client.
Hey that's good to know. Thanks for that info.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search