The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
foley for flying hummingbird Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear

foley for flying hummingbird

Hi

i'm foleying a short animated movie where you see a hummingbird flying around
and i can't think of a way to reproduce the sound of the wings flapping rapidly.

the real sound of a flying hummingbird is a heavy sound that doesn't sound so pretty, so i need more something like the little bird in Pocahontas you see in these scene YouTube

thanks,
Nicolas
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Electric weed eater
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Addict

And ironically I bought a full sound effects library of humming birds to emulate an artificial drone that's alive for a film that I never ended up using.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

You can try one of those little battery powered handheld fans. Put some strips of fabric or leather on the blades and move it around the mic. I did that once but I can't remember if it was for a hummingbird or an insect
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

I remember a long time ago, as a little kid, watching a special on I think it was the Disney Club TV show about how they did the sound for tinkerbell (Peter Pan), and it stuck with me - roughly 25 years later I did try it myself for a clip and it worked out great.
They used an upturned bicycle, spun the wheels by hand, and used a feather (or different bits of paper, card, foil, whatever), holding the tip of it into the spinning spokes.
Moving up and down to different parts of the spokes yields slightly different timbres, great for doing movement.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

If you want to try the 'library' route, there's this:

WINGS | Wing Sound Effects Library | asoundeffect.com
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

A small fan as mentioned is a good idea.

For extra speed, play the video at half speed and perform in front of the mic, twisting and turning your noisemaker. It's the jedi way .

Played at twice the speed(full video speed) you'll get a nice pitchup with less editing required.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

We've got hummers going crazy around our feeders all day long, especially this time of year. I'm tempted to throw a couple of mics up there and turn them into Foley artists.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search