The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Duubing/Localization Mixing. Surround events list?
Old 13th April 2019
Duubing/Localization Mixing. Surround events list?

To those awesome folks mixing dubbing/localized versions; how do you determine surround events (like pan movements)? Listen to surrounds with center muted to make your own events list? Is there ever a time when a list is supplied?

I also wonder how the 5.1 surround mix is QC'd for surround events.

TIA.

Sorry wrong spelling.

Last edited by SoundWeavers; 13th April 2019 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Panning for dubbing is normally just for the voices. And panning for the dubs is normally very straightforward on most films and shows.
You can check the waveforms of the orignal mix, sometimes helps. And if there is a back and forth
And it seems that the audio might be pan a lot the. Check the English.
It’s not a big deal on most situation but don’t ever miss an off screen dialogue cuz it will be rejected.

As for qc for dubbing , those things don’t matter that much. Qc will normally be done with the Stereo English mix on the left headphones and the stereo/surround on the right to make sure everything is dubbed.

But as usually it’s not as easy to keep it simple and one situation fits all.
Tv shows and direct to video movies are dubbed by tv broadcasters in each territory and then the big los Ángeles distributor buys back the audio.
And there is a qc in Los Angeles for that.
Other times the distributor does it all in territory and they trust the studio and do proper qc.
But since all distributors started doing IMF files ala Netflix then those have to get qc in Los Angeles. And sometimes they get a smal qc room w 5.1 and as long as the panning is not of he rails it will not get rejected for not matching the orignal mix exactly. But if one character walks to the right and the audio land left then of course.
And if there are weird pan effects where here are are a bunch of horror voice bouncing all around then that might be more obvious and qc guys will remember and might rejected. But most of the time the rejections are for tech errors. If the mixer decided to keep everything centered but the original sometimes panned a little then they won’t bother. Or scuff at it as creative mixing.
Old 14th April 2019
Thanks gsilbers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers View Post
To those awesome folks mixing dubbing/localized versions; how do you determine surround events (like pan movements)? Listen to surrounds with center muted to make your own events list? Is there ever a time when a list is supplied?

I also wonder how the 5.1 surround mix is QC'd for surround events.

TIA.

Sorry wrong spelling.
Hi Tia,

I do mix quiet a lot of localized German movies and series, most of it Netflix, but also from other distributors.
There never has been an event list for panning, actually, i`ve never seen any sort of list. Sometimes you are lucky and get a DX-Stem, but that`s maybe 1 out of 10.
You just listen to the original mix and try to recreate the original panning and effects, that`s basically it.
The QC depends on the distributor. If you work for Netflix, there`s a 3 step QC: first you send them a mono Dialog stem, unmixed, just levelled. This is for QC the dialog, the talents, if everything is complete, etc,
2nd step is to send a stereo Quicktime of your mix and once this has been QC`ed, you send the Printmaster for a final QC.
Usually you are not working directly for Netflix, you work for the big global localization companies. They do QC step 1 and 2, and Netflix is only doing the final QC.

I never got a mix rejected for a mix decision. I had mixes not passing QC for all sort of weird reasons, but not once for panning or other mix decisions. There is some sort of creative freedom as long as you stay true to the original mix. But having said this, I just mixed a remake of a 90`ies Japanese anime which had weird surround effects all over the place, like reverb from the front, Dx in the surrounds or Delay slaps all over the place. Actually it was interesting to hear what surround mixing was like in the 90`ies. We decided to not recreate these effects and to create a more modern version of it, which went smoothly through the QC.

Hope this helps, if not let me know
Old 4 weeks ago
MThanks clipgod.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search