The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DaVinci Resolve 16 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

DaVinci Resolve 16

Pretty impressive development pace from Blackmagic... and they seem to know what they're doing.

18:23 Fairlight page introduction
18:30 Fairlight page new automation controls
18:40 Fairlight page automation preview
18:54 Fairlight page bus and VCA timeline tracks
19:18 Fairlight page new loudness and metering tools
19:39 Fairlight page loudness graph in timeline
19:55 Fairlight page clip normalization options
20:05 Fairlight page ProTools session import
20:20 Fairlight page immersive 3D audio support
20:44 Fairlight page 3D panner and new 3D Space View
21:18 Fairlight page B-chain monitoring and setup options
21:35 Fairlight page elastic wave alignment for dialog sync
21:59 Fairlight page new Fairlight FX plugins
22:10 Fairlight FX Frequency Analyzer
22:24 Fairlight FX Limiter
22:40 Fairlight FX Phase Meter
23:00 Fairlight FX Dialog Processor
23:55 Fairlight page free foley sound library
24:10 Fairlight FX Foley Sampler
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Looks cool!

Great to see an audio program designed with post in mind.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, their added features in general from version to version are very impressive. Like, very. I think the "cut" page is going to be great for a lot of editors who want minimal fuss and a faster workflow - without having to sacrifice 'proper' editing, coloring and exporting.

I will say though that the interface does Fairlight no favors. To me it looks absolutely horrible. I hate the layout and I hate that windows aren't floating so I can easily switch from full screen edit to full screen mix for example. The whole thing just looks incredibly clunky and slow. Every time I've tried getting into it I give up because I'm frustrated with the workflow and all the mouse clicking. Perhaps it'll mature (or maybe it's me).
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Yes, their added features in general from version to version are very impressive. Like, very. I think the "cut" page is going to be great for a lot of editors who want minimal fuss and a faster workflow - without having to sacrifice 'proper' editing, coloring and exporting.

I will say though that the interface does Fairlight no favors. To me it looks absolutely horrible. I hate the layout and I hate that windows aren't floating so I can easily switch from full screen edit to full screen mix for example. The whole thing just looks incredibly clunky and slow. Every time I've tried getting into it I give up because I'm frustrated with the workflow and all the mouse clicking. Perhaps it'll mature (or maybe it's me).
Agreed, it's not the most intuitive for mouse work. I wonder if the hardware consoles will open up the workflow once they appear.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantone View Post
Agreed, it's not the most intuitive for mouse work. I wonder if the hardware consoles will open up the workflow once they appear.
They probably will depending on how one likes to work. They've been available for a while now I believe. Pricing is if I remember on par with other 'big' products like Yamaha's Nuage and Avid's s6-series. They look great.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
20:05 Fairlight page ProTools session import
"...let's you finish Protools projects..." [clickImportAAF]

Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve been using Resolve as my basic video editor, the Lite version is quite powerful for freeware.

I’ll have to check this out, but there are a ton of just weird decisions in the way you work with audio, in 15 anyways. For example, the Fairlight page is heavily slanted towards mixing, it has automation and 3D panning and loudness metering, but if you want to do more than the most basic editing (like say, if you wanted to add a crossfade) you need to flip back over to the “Edit” page and do it.

It seems mainly geared for people who’ll be receiving audio tracks from a video editor and won’t be doing much finishing apart from mixing and maybe dropping in FX. Projects are implicitly shareable over a network with database servers so FX libraries, timelines and mixes all live on the server and multiple people (sound and picture editors, mixers, colorists, VFX) can be working in the same project at the same time.

But it’d be tough to cut a reel of dialogue in the thing.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

My thoughts exactly.
Old 11th April 2019
I can't even imagine trying to do any audio without the Xynergi controller. It's a must have.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I can't even imagine trying to do any audio without the Xynergi controller. It's a must have.
I think they still have a Xynergi-type keyboard in the console, they just updated the trim a bit so it has a Blackmagic logo in the corner. You can't just buy it as a separate panel (like the color panels) anymore.
Old 11th April 2019
I know it's available when you get a console, but since it's such a huge part of Fairlight's editing speed, not showing it in a product video (when talking about the audio features) seems a poor move.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
"...let's you finish Protools projects..." [clickImportAAF]

Their demos are all like that, it's kind of incredible and insane.

It's really weird; obviously they wanna crack the bigger markets of narrative stuff. Their marketing pieces don't show people cutting bumpers for Entertainment Tonight or Hotel In-Room entertainment interviews, they show people doing sound design for Interstellar knockoffs and Prestige TV. And clearly they are listening to somebody about these features, they're all super specific, pretty well implemented and seem to be responsive to someone, but it's all weird, it doesn't fit with the way people who do TV and features work.

Take a look on their website some time and look at their marketing department's idea of a high-end mixing room or finishing bay like. It's all very aspirational and fake in a Potemkin Village kind of way, and it's never presented from the perspective of the mixer or colorist, you always see something from the perspective of the client, it's all about making things shiny and chrome for the client. The actual work doesn't get a lot of attention. In fact a lot of their imagery shows the clients in the back smiling and talking, while the person at the keyboard or console looks a little focused and serious and not a part of the client conversation or interaction, maybe even unhappy. The subtext is the guy at the keyboard is doing this for someone else.

We would contrast this with the website of the Hated Avid, which is comparably super artist-focused, has lots of interviews with real people, and the emphasis isn't on process or fast turnarounds but on being a part of making great movies and music, where the person using our software is a creative artist and empowered. (Here ends my sociological analysis.)

It's all really cool and I totally support everything Blackmagic's doing, the gear in general is really exciting! But so much of their approach just seems to put the cart before the horse.
Old 11th April 2019
I hope they improve the (preview) rendering performance... without a very strong GPU it makes not much fun to work with DaVinci Resolve.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

After finally sitting down and watching the whole thing...

1. I wish there were "Adjustment Clips" for audio, this is a feature in Premiere that has not found an audio analogue yet.

2. I think it's kinda fascinating that a sales piece for Resolve on YouTube is EXACTLY the kind of project that someone would be mixing in Resolve in the first place, and the audio mix is pretty sub-amazing. The VO is all over the place and they clearly recorded with different mics on different days.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

I wonder, if Blackmagic properly implemented AAF export from DaVinci Resolve timeline.
I see more and more people using this app as a editing software.

I know, that there are some methods and work-arrounds to export AAF from Resolve, but so far it was quite painful process.

No one will force editors not to mix formats, sample freqs and bit depths within a project. So, this is an application (Resolve in this case), which needs to export AAF from a project properly.

I need to open a AAF within ProTools and have all edits, fades, clip gains and automation properly trasfered, so I would continue audio post work on a project.

If a Fairlight page could "open and finish a ProTools session", I would imagine, that Fairlight would also export the timeline to AAF, so "ProTools could open and finish the project".

regards,
Kuba
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, it is imprssive. But still can't do basic things like easily move tracks up and down etc.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
I hope they improve the (preview) rendering performance... without a very strong GPU it makes not much fun to work with DaVinci Resolve.
But you simply need a strong GPU for video work.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

I agree with the comments about BM's marketing: clean hightech new rooms with models acting as techs, and the demos being what might be called highly aspirational sorts of jobs for a newbie buying an entry level DAW. I wonder why they don't focus a little more on the small simple videos that are most of what most editors do, as well as how easy it is to get started with if you have any computer editing experience at all. DVR15 has been really handy to have around for the sorts of utility and demo videos I need to do, and I'd pay a decent price to keep it. I kind of don't see making it my everything tool unless a WHOLE lot of other folks jump in first...
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
For example, the Fairlight page is heavily slanted towards mixing, it has automation and 3D panning and loudness metering, but if you want to do more than the most basic editing (like say, if you wanted to add a crossfade) you need to flip back over to the “Edit” page and do it.
Just wanted to correct this -- this is true only if you want to a drag-and-drop crossfade from the FX list, but Fairlight has crossfade abilities of its own without having to go to the Editor. There's a very good (free) instruction book on using Fairlight at https://documents.blackmagicdesign.c...Audio-Post.pdf. Check out pages 111 and 193 for example, and the manual also has instructions on doing crossfades in Fairlight.

That book also has an entire chapter on dialogue editing.

I agree that Fairlight has a long way to go, but it has come a long way in a short time and is already quite useful.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Just wanted to correct this -- this is true only if you want to a drag-and-drop crossfade from the FX list, but Fairlight has crossfade abilities of its own without having to go to the Editor. There's a very good (free) instruction book on using Fairlight at https://documents.blackmagicdesign.c...Audio-Post.pdf. Check out pages 111 and 193 for example, and the manual also has instructions on doing crossfades in Fairlight.

That book also has an entire chapter on dialogue editing.

I agree that Fairlight has a long way to go, but it has come a long way in a short time and is already quite useful.
So, this manual doesn't show you how to do crossfades, it shows you how to put clip X on track A1 and clip Y below it on track A2, and then add a fade-out to X and a fade-in on Y. As an example, on Page 193, it shows looping a room tone, which, according to their procedure, requires you to set up two tracks with the room tone and ping-pong back and forth between the tracks as the room tone loop fades out on one and on to another (they don't even give you a macro or a function to do this automatically, you have to cut it all yourself). In fact I think this is the only way in Resolve you can access different fade shapes. The Resolve will help you maintain identical fade lengths, fortunately, but it doesn't appear you can enforce equal power or gain, or complimentary curves.

The dialogue editing chapter is very contrived, it shows you how to checkerboard pristine sound stage-recorded dialogue clips. Matching, backfills and repairs aren't discussed, probably because it's totally impractical doing these within the editor. Though it's true, this happens more and more in RX.

I can see some ways of getting around this - instead of building loops in your timeline, you'd make long loops in another sequence and then import this sequence as a clip, and then you don't have to worry about loop crossfades anymore. But that's def a hassle.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

As far as editing video, I love it.
I've edited 3 short films on itso far, and a variety of other things.
I like it miles better than FCX and Acid media composer.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

You can very easily do a crossfade Fairlight style just by overlapping clips and dragging the fade from the top corner of the clip. Drag it to your desired xfade length and then you can adjust the shape as in PT by pulling the handle on the fade. On one track not two.

However I agree editing is excruciating. I say that as a longtime Fairlight user. The keyboard and mouse just don't cut it. It also is a little like editing in a NLE which if you've ever watched an editor cut audio you understand the pain. I sincerely hope it improves.

I've been mixing small projects in Resolve since v15 was released. Mainly to keep tabs on the progress. It's to the point where I can mix well enough for simple things like web videos that don't have great needs or complex deliverables. But man the editing is a drag. It takes me probably 3 times as long to get through it. I had a custom hotkey config at one point that helped but it got lost somehow. I think when I migrated system drives. Anyway that's part of the problem is that by default there aren't enough useful hotkeys. Track selection is funky, moving tracks is frustrating, and mixer templates are not there.

Obviously there is still a long way to go. But at least they are actively developing and trying improvements. I have yet to try 16, I hope to in the next week.

I have to say the single best feature is to receive an editor's project and be able to open it and work right away. I'm not sure I really like the whole all in one program but just being able to directly open their sequence and start working is such a relief. I'll never understand why PT can't translate an Avid sequence without fuss. Then when I'm done I can lay my bounces into a new sequence to send back and know that they're in sync and playing unity with no pan mishaps or channel confusion. That part is nice.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
You can very easily do a crossfade Fairlight style just by overlapping clips and dragging the fade from the top corner of the clip. Drag it to your desired xfade length and then you can adjust the shape as in PT by pulling the handle on the fade. On one track not two.
I can't make it do it, when I drag the second clip over the first one to make it overlap, the first clip's tail just chops off and becomes a butt cut.

I love the panner, it has a much better way of managing multiple input channels than Pro Tools (better than Spanner even), with rotation and pre-fader LFE send. Also the IO page is just about the best one I've seen, it's a lot like PatchNet and it's extremely easy to see what's going on. And of course you have multiple track buss main outs with automatable On state.

There's a very nice preset library that should work like track templates but it's a little funky. Good fader linking and VCAs, rather thorough automation (though screwing around with RX Voice Denoiser was yielding mixed results.). I feel like they've really improved the video performance in the Fairlight screen from 14 or 15. Also the Timeline Comparison is a pretty killer feature, though it seems to get confused easily.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't make it do it, when I drag the second clip over the first one to make it overlap, the first clip's tail just chops off and becomes a butt cut.
Same here. (v15.0.0.86)
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I forgot there is a very silly option in the Timeline menu called "Layered Audio Editing". This has to be checked. Fairlight has always been layered so I'm not sure why it's an option. Try that.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I forgot there is a very silly option in the Timeline menu called "Layered Audio Editing". This has to be checked. Fairlight has always been layered so I'm not sure why it's an option. Try that.
That worked!
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I know it's available when you get a console, but since it's such a huge part of Fairlight's editing speed, not showing it in a product video (when talking about the audio features) seems a poor move.
Are you even able to buy the consoles currently? I have seen no where actually stocking them .

I agree, it seems very clunky without the controller.

Also does the accelerator work on non windows systems ?
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
Are you even able to buy the consoles currently? I have seen no where actually stocking them .

I agree, it seems very clunky without the controller.

Also does the accelerator work on non windows systems ?
I spoke with Steve Rance at NAMM, and yes, the consoles are available, but probably not through the normal BM retailers, though.

BTW, I loaded up the free version of Resolve 16 and it wasn't able to find my CC-2 card nor my Xynergi controller. I not interested in installing new drivers (if I need to) in case I corrupt something on my DREAM system, so I'm not sure where that stands.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I spoke with Steve Rance at NAMM, and yes, the consoles are available, but probably not through the normal BM retailers, though.

BTW, I loaded up the free version of Resolve 16 and it wasn't able to find my CC-2 card nor my Xynergi controller. I not interested in installing new drivers (if I need to) in case I corrupt something on my DREAM system, so I'm not sure where that stands.
That's pretty much where development stands AFAIK. They tout the consoles and the "Accelerator" aka CC-2. But they may or may not actually work yet. I have not witnessed it myself.

I don't think there is anything different about the CC-2. The consoles have new paint and new displays but otherwise seem identical to legacy models. I was never happy with the keyswitches compared to the Constellation. But it would be great if they found a way to improve them.

BTW if you're interested in testing it I'd format another partition or use a spare drive so you don't have to have anything co-installed.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's pretty much where development stands AFAIK. They tout the consoles and the "Accelerator" aka CC-2. But they may or may not actually work yet. I have not witnessed it myself.
On the Davinci Resolve forum (at Blackmagic Design) I remember seeing some people posting who have the accelerator; you need individual service from BMD technicians over the phone to set it up but once it's set up it reportedly works. I haven't seen any posts from people using the consoles.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search