The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DaVinci Resolve 16 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2 weeks ago
  #61
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was aware of round-tripping, my concern is that it’s destructive, unlike with RX Connect where you have the original version. What’s the workaround on this?
It's destructive to the copy, not to the original file; see this note about how it works: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...=79216#p439035

Also, regarding channel remapping, this is described in some detail in the Fairlight for Audio Post book by Mary Plummer (free PDF available from the Training section of the Davinci Resolve web page)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #62
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

I have a smaller ask then full blown mixing in Davinci, I do a lot of vfx/3D characters that are primarily adr. I am ok with fusion, so pondering dialog touch ups from vfx deliveries in Davinci 16. So looking more at mono dialog editing tutorials for 16, perfect world I could with an easy workflow do some facial morphs in fusion based on the dialog edit.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was aware of round-tripping, my concern is that it’s destructive, unlike with RX Connect where you have the original version. What’s the workaround on this?
As noted, it's not destructive to the original file. One advantage over RX Connect is with Fairlight the original clip is on the layer below and muted. Saves a step not having to copy to another track. Also give you a clear undo path if you have several processing steps - they're all layered in order.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterChamberlain View Post
This is an option to reduce UI clutter for those that don't need it. If you do, turn it on and it will remain on.
I can understand that viewing the layers adds clutter, I almost never have that turned on. But layering in itself as an option is odd to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
I’m really close to leaving Pro Tools for Resolve. I’ve already moved over from Premiere Pro for editing. A few questions for you Peter.

1) Are track layers like playlists in Pro Tools? If so is it possible to solo a layer without moving it to the top?

2) are there any plans for tighter integration with iZotope RX?

3) are there plans for splitting stereo/5.1 tracks to mono, and dragging multiple mono clips to a stereo/5.1 track?

4) is the CC-2 accelerator also the interface, or are there plans for a BM made audio interface?

5) any plans for ambisonics support?

Thanks so much.
(4) The CC2 has MADI coaxial I/O but also connects to the SX36 which AFAIK is the only currently available interface. It is pretty impressive - 2 remote control Mic inputs, analog I/O, AES I/O, a S/PDIF for good measure, Machine Control, LTC, MIDI, and GPIO. Plus sync (WC or Video ref).
Old 2 weeks ago
  #66
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
As noted, it's not destructive to the original file. One advantage over RX Connect is with Fairlight the original clip is on the layer below and muted. Saves a step not having to copy to another track. Also give you a clear undo path if you have several processing steps - they're all layered in order.
That’s great to know. Thanks for the info about the CC-2 as well.

I read the link talking about sending to an external editor and clips coming back with a * on the file name and needing to be re-sync’d which threw me a bit!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Couple of issues whith audio in Resolve.

Renaming of audio clips on import.
I need the files to retain their original name and file type on import and export. Retaining all Metadata.

Protools export tab:

Too convoluted.
First off, I need to be able to do an export without picture. Waiting for the picture to be rendered on the output. When all I want is audio, is a waste of time.

I need some basis options, that include handle length, or the option to include the entire file. Sometimes I want to be able to pull out the entire file, to find an alt for that scene.


I want the option to do a self contained AAF.

More picture options when I do want to ouout picture.
Dnx is not enough.
Some Older systems won't recognize Dnx. They need a prores
Old 2 weeks ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
In the fairlight page it's an absolute must being able to grab a group of tracks, and moving them up where they need to be in the window.
Not being able to do this is a showstopper.
It's the equivalent of dropping picture in the timeline, and having it always default to the beginning of the timeline, and then having to get it into place by nudging it a frame at a time.

Especially in scripted TV we are having to work at breakneck speeds to meet the client expectations of getting to hear a feature quality mix of a 45 minute show, when they come in on day 2 of a a 2 day mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
The routing page.

Needs to be much, much clearer.
Also, I should not be able to break an existing connection without a warning.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #70
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
In the fairlight page it's an absolute must being able to grab a group of tracks, and moving them up where they need to be in the window.
You do know that you can very quickly isolate the tracks you want to work on by toggling their visibility using the Tracks index, right? So for example if you have 150 tracks and only want to work on the bottom 5 tracks you open the Tracks index, click on the visibility icon for the top track (the icon that looks like an eye) and drag down to hide all the tracks you don't want to see). Swiping/dragging also works for muting multiple tracks at once.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #71
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
You do know that you can very quickly isolate the tracks you want to work on by toggling their visibility using the Tracks index, right? So for example if you have 150 tracks and only want to work on the bottom 5 tracks you open the Tracks index, click on the visibility icon for the top track (the icon that looks like an eye) and drag down to hide all the tracks you don't want to see). Swiping/dragging also works for muting multiple tracks at once.
Yes but moving tracks has been a feature request since they released Fairlight. From a user perspective it seems silly that you can't just drag them where you want them.

In the previous standalone Fairlight this was also a limitation. It was sort of hardwired with the track numbers and it made it difficult if you didn't have your template set up just right. Whereas in PT I can move them where I want, insert one whenever I want, and duplicate one whenever I want.

I imagine BM inherited this behavior but it's one of my top feature requests.

I'm also with Mark on the metadata on export. V16 is supposed to be improved but I haven't checked.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
You do know that you can very quickly isolate the tracks you want to work on by toggling their visibility using the Tracks index, right? So for example if you have 150 tracks and only want to work on the bottom 5 tracks you open the Tracks index, click on the visibility icon for the top track (the icon that looks like an eye) and drag down to hide all the tracks you don't want to see). Swiping/dragging also works for muting multiple tracks at once.
Nope.
Sorry.
I don't want to sound like a dick.
But anything that's not faster, is slower, and is unacceptable in our workflow.

I import tracks. Drag them to the tracks I want to transfer the clips to, and do that.

I don't want to hear about workarounds that slow me down for a second, as my mix tine is at a premium, in this very competitive market if audio post.
Clients waiting for you to complete a simple task can mean the difference between getting the next project they get, or not.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #73
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
You do know that you can very quickly isolate the tracks you want to work on by toggling their visibility using the Tracks index, right? So for example if you have 150 tracks and only want to work on the bottom 5 tracks you open the Tracks index, click on the visibility icon for the top track (the icon that looks like an eye) and drag down to hide all the tracks you don't want to see). Swiping/dragging also works for muting multiple tracks at once.
It's a different issue. Some tracks belong together and having to go through the above isn't a solution to the problem he describes.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #74
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
It's a different issue. Some tracks belong together and having to go through the above isn't a solution to the problem he describes.
Sure but you can also group tracks and move the groups up and down. I just wanted to be sure he knew about toggling visibility, as that makes it very easy to work on a subset of tracks without the distraction of others.

But I totally agree that the current method of moving tracks up and down is very cumbersome, you should be able to multi-select tracks and drag them up and down like you can with ProTools, Reaper, or any number of other DAWs.

Comps are another big thing I'd like to see improved in Fairlight; the current procedure is ridiculous without any way to audition takes under the top layer.

In general, I'd just observe that putting feature requests on gearslutz is probably the least effective approach for getting them noticed; just because Peter Chamberlain put in an appearance once doesn't mean he'll be a regular visitor. The BMD forum has threads with feature requests.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
iluvcapra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
The routing page.

Needs to be much, much clearer.
Also, I should not be able to break an existing connection without a warning.
I think the routing page is awesome personally I agree moving tracks around and organizing them visually needs a lot of improvement. Grouping is a kind of solution but tracks don’t always map cleanly to hierarchical groups, usually they do for the purposes of mixing, but from a UI standpoint they often don’t.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #76
Lives for gear
 
iluvcapra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterChamberlain View Post
The Fairlight Desktop Audio Editor is available separately to the console. BMD also totally redesigned and build all the console elements so there is nothing the same as the old Fairlight consoles... except the cast iron foot of the console.
This is good news, it’s a cool dingus.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #77
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Couple of issues whith audio in Resolve.

Renaming of audio clips on import.
I need the files to retain their original name and file type on import and export. Retaining all Metadata.

Protools export tab:

Too convoluted.
First off, I need to be able to do an export without picture. Waiting for the picture to be rendered on the output. When all I want is audio, is a waste of time.

I need some basis options, that include handle length, or the option to include the entire file. Sometimes I want to be able to pull out the entire file, to find an alt for that scene.


I want the option to do a self contained AAF.

More picture options when I do want to ouout picture.
Dnx is not enough.
Some Older systems won't recognize Dnx. They need a prores
a) Audio clips do retain their file name.. except.. and this is where detailed reporting makes all the difference, when you use the media pool sync to sync an audio clip to the video.. for that situation.. i agree and its on the list as is retaining metadata.

b) agreed

c) ok

d) ok

e) ok
Old 2 weeks ago
  #78
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
Did you have any luck? I still struggle getting this to work at all
Yes. Select Preview, touch mode to Latch, and enable whatever parameter you need. Adjust it and if you have a range go to the Fairlight>Automation menu and select Fill.

You should be able to Punch to start writing if you don't want a range.
Old 1 week ago
  #79
Here for the gear
 

I heard it has new MIDI features to make production effects (premade sound effects NOT FOLEY) and music.
Old 1 week ago
  #80
Lives for gear
 
Mundox's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterChamberlain View Post
Its actually more complicated than that. We don't move Icons or controls randomly. Each position is discussed and often challenged but ultimately as an app thats rapidly being developed with new features added weekly there will be some elements that move.
The very much useful right-click menu item "Duplicate Timeline" has disappeared. I don't see a point of removing such a heavily used menu item tbh.
Old 1 week ago
  #81
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
The very much useful right-click menu item "Duplicate Timeline" has disappeared. I don't see a point of removing such a heavily used menu item tbh.
That disappeared in version 15.3 I believe. Quite a few people have clamored to have it back, although it's possible to assign a keyboard shortcut to it.

The way it works now depends on what part of the Edit page is "in focus," which is determined either by using a keyboard shortcut or by clicking the mouse in that part of the page. If the timeline is in focus, the command in the Edit menu is "duplicate timeline." If the Media Pool is in focus, the command changes to "duplicate clip." This has been improved in version 16, so now if you click on a timeline in the Media Pool the command in the Edit menu is "duplicate timeline."

Bottom line: you have to go to the Edit menu to find the command to duplicate a timeline, although you can also assign a custom keyboard shortcut to it.
Old 1 week ago
  #82
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooglyeye View Post
I heard it has new MIDI features to make production effects (premade sound effects NOT FOLEY) and music.
It has a foley sampler but I don’t believe it’s on a
MIDI track. I’ve asked for more info about this on the BMD forum.
Old 1 week ago
  #83
Here for the gear
 

Oh I gotcha.
Old 1 week ago
  #84
Here for the gear
 

DR2 Files

Has anyone heard about opening old DR2 files on DaVinci? I have asked BMD but they seem rather quiet on the subject.
Old 1 week ago
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Stimmt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterChamberlain View Post
The Fairlight Desktop Audio Editor is available separately to the console. BMD also totally redesigned and build all the console elements so there is nothing the same as the old Fairlight consoles... except the cast iron foot of the console.
I just saw a video on YT presenting the Fairlight Desktop Audio Editor (from an Asian site). Didn't understand a word but the build quality seems amazing, better than good old Xynergi. Are the picture keys now actual little OLED displays? I never fully loved the slightly foggy LCD "split" technology in original Xynergis, you know where there is one big LCD panel under the whole picture key panel.
Old 1 week ago
  #86
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
I just saw a video on YT presenting the Fairlight Desktop Audio Editor (from an Asian site). Didn't understand a word but the build quality seems amazing, better than good old Xynergi. Are the picture keys now actual little OLED displays? I never fully loved the slightly foggy LCD "split" technology in original Xynergis, you know where there is one big LCD panel under the whole picture key panel.
hi, can you share the YT link?

the new Fairlight Audio Desktop Editor (same as console version) uses a single LCD panel and light shafts, but they are totally different to the old ones.

We have new, much better supplier of the light shafts, much clearer, and also a higher res LCD screen.
Old 1 week ago
  #87
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take2Greg View Post
Has anyone heard about opening old DR2 files on DaVinci? I have asked BMD but they seem rather quiet on the subject.
It is supposed to be possible on Windows but I don't know that it is functional.
Old 1 week ago
  #88
Here for the gear
 

Thanks Smurfyou. I have been advised that BMD have got a Beta version & it will be implemented soon.
Old 1 day ago
  #89
Lives for gear
 
Mundox's Avatar
Is it possible to keyframe-edit automation lanes of third party plugins?
I can record live automation on parameters but can't get in and edit them.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
hughshouse / Post Production forum
14
Keyplayer / Other DAWs
15
ctms777 / Product Alerts older than 2 months
16
astronmr20 / Post Production forum
0
Kuba_Pietrzak / Post Production forum
18

Forum Jump
Forum Jump