The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DaVinci Resolve 16 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
On the Davinci Resolve forum (at Blackmagic Design) I remember seeing some people posting who have the accelerator; you need individual service from BMD technicians over the phone to set it up but once it's set up it reportedly works. I haven't seen any posts from people using the consoles.
I saw that too. I think if they were ready for prime time we'd be seeing a whole lot more about it.

Not to be too cynical but BMD's artificial renderings of "creatives at work" are a turn off. Those rooms are ridiculous and an actual case study highlight would go a lot further for me. But that won't happen until people can actually use the hardware.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Not to be too cynical but BMD's artificial renderings of "creatives at work" are a turn off. Those rooms are ridiculous and an actual case study highlight would go a lot further for me. But that won't happen until people can actually use the hardware.
Yes, they get a lot of flak for those utopian Photoshopped images; I've even seen people ridicule them for showing colorists using tablets, but the reality is that quite a few colorists use Wacom tablets in their suite of tools.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

I think professionals look at those ads, or the splash screens that come up when I boot DVR, as being targeted at young aspirational newbies and are annoyed that those fantasy rooms don't look like any real work is going on. This makes pros think that BM either doesn't understand their work or doesn't care about it. This may be true.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
This makes pros think that BM either doesn't understand their work or doesn't care about it. This may be true.
No, I think their ad agency or marketing branch simply have cheesy tastes. The developers and managers for Resolve and BMD in general have a very deep understanding of the industry and spend a lot of time talking with people in the field; most of the features in Resolve are there because of user input. It's worth watching the technical product overview video of BMD's CEO, Grant Petty, that's currently available on the BMD website (no direct link, unfortunately and it's not on their youtube channel yet). He talks about the new products and the updates to Resolve, but he also talks about the process of developing them and it's clear that they are very engaged in trying to understand how people in the industry work and what they need.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

(@philper)

I would think though that BM's path into the audio market is really through editing and finishing. And in turn their entire ecosystem with broadcast devices and a pedigree in advanced color for film should drive the adoption of the rest.

In a sense I think the pitch really would be that if you already have Resolve installed for finishing for example you may at some point begin to tweak edits last minute, which leads to more editing being done from scratch. Similarly, last minute changes can then be addressed more easily if stems are laid into Fairlight and re-rendered from there normally because it's easy to have that timeline follow these revisions. No need to back to the PT room / engineer to get it done. And so gradually it may be that those stems are replaced with final edits, i.e. there's the dialog, effects and music edits ("predubs" maybe) that make their way into Fairlight for the final render. And soon enough it may make sense to just get a console and do the whole thing in house.

At least that's what I see as a somewhat natural progression at least conceptually. But requiring hardware to be efficient on software isn't really that great in 2019 I think, at least if it's expensive, and I really have a hard time seeing myself be near as fast on Fairlight as I am on PT and Nuendo.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm not sure this is being thought of the right way. Most of the people I run into in the audio side of this industry are musicians. Anyone ever heard of a fairlight being used for a music project? The reason pro tools is so popular with audio post is because audio types already know how to use it because of the music making they do. I just don't see any audio post houses switching because they would have a very hard time finding trained people.

Last edited by brandoncross; 17th April 2019 at 05:10 AM..
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
I'm not sure this is being thought of the right way. Most of the people I run into in the audio side of this industry are musicians. Anyone ever heard of a fairlight being used for a music project?
No, it's not designed for music although some people do use the free version of Resolve exclusively as a DAW. It has the basics for music but is missing some fairly important things. For one thing, it has no MIDI capabilities if that's important to you (and it is for many people nowadays). You can record a VSTi into it, but it records it as audio not MIDI, so you can't go in and edit MIDI notes after the fact.

I have done some editing, automation, and mixing/sweetening of music in Fairlight and it does the job, but overall it falls short as a music DAW (comping is pretty clunky, for example) and that's not what they designed it for anyway.

They've been steadily adding features and functionality, but it's really geared toward ADR and audio post at this point, not music, and I think it'll stay that way.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

(@brandon)

I think the same could be said for Resolve's editing and coloring features. "Home houses" probably stick to FCPX and PP.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Addict

Can anyone explain how the preview automation works? I couldnt get it to function as I expected, though probably stuck in Pro Tools land from a workflow perspective...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
Can anyone explain how the preview automation works? I couldnt get it to function as I expected, though probably stuck in Pro Tools land from a workflow perspective...
I haven't tried it in v16 yet but in legacy Fairlight it was pretty simple. Enable Preview mode, set your automation how you want it, and either punch in to write it or if you have a range set you can use "Fill" to write it to the range. Works exactly like "Write to selection" in PT. Only the touched parameters would write.

You might need to be in latch mode as well...

I hope to test V16 in the next week.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What's so annoying with Resolve is that with every version they would shift the locations or change the icons of standard functions willy-nilly. So you have to learn the GUI all over again with each new version.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I haven't tried it in v16 yet but in legacy Fairlight it was pretty simple. Enable Preview mode, set your automation how you want it, and either punch in to write it or if you have a range set you can use "Fill" to write it to the range. Works exactly like "Write to selection" in PT. Only the touched parameters would write.

You might need to be in latch mode as well...

I hope to test V16 in the next week.
Did you have any luck? I still struggle getting this to work at all
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
What's so annoying with Resolve is that with every version they would shift the locations or change the icons of standard functions willy-nilly. So you have to learn the GUI all over again with each new version.
There's two kinds of user the programmer worries about:
  1. Users who use this feature constantly
  2. Users who don't seem to be aware the feature exists

Most programmers are super-duper worried about the second group, and constantly throwing spaghetti at the wall to get people out of the second group. Programmers don't worry as much about the first group, though Avid seems to be more worried than most, though this has good and bad consequences.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Yes, it is imprssive. But still can't do basic things like easily move tracks up and down etc.
Right click on the track header and select, move track down
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantone View Post
Agreed, it's not the most intuitive for mouse work. I wonder if the hardware consoles will open up the workflow once they appear.
The Fairlight Desktop Audio Editor is now available (sub US$5k) as are all the console options. We published prices at NAB and you can call your local BMD office for config details. Shipping is currently 14 days from order.

The editing control via the desktop or console audio editor is extremely extensive and fast compared to the mouse as current users of the old Xynergy controller will attest to.

The Fairlight Audio Accelerator and Interface is also available. Windows drivers ship with DaVinci Resolve, Mac are in progress for the v16 beta. We showed Dolby Atmos integration on an iMac with the Audio Accelerator and via MADI a MOTU interface with 64 speaker Atmos panning. All live.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
I think they still have a Xynergi-type keyboard in the console, they just updated the trim a bit so it has a Blackmagic logo in the corner. You can't just buy it as a separate panel (like the color panels) anymore.
The Fairlight Desktop Audio Editor is available separately to the console. BMD also totally redesigned and build all the console elements so there is nothing the same as the old Fairlight consoles... except the cast iron foot of the console.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterChamberlain View Post
Right click on the track header and select, move track down
I already knows this.
It's an extremely slow, clunky solution, to a very basic action.
Try doing it with multiple tracks at the same time.

Cant drag 2 separate mono files to a stereo track.
Cant drag a stereo file to 2 separate mono tracks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I already knows this.
It's an extremely slow, clunky solution, to a very basic action.
Try doing it with multiple tracks at the same time.

Cant drag 2 separate mono files to a stereo track.
Cant drag a stereo file to 2 separate mono tracks.
Ah, will thats a different message which I agree with and its on the list.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Q

Quote:
Ah, will thats a different message which I agree with and its on the list.
I don't know who's on the team of Resolve when it comes to audio post. But I'd be happy to be involved with audio post centric input on the Fairlight section of resolve.
I started getting heavily into Resolve Iast year, and love it as a picture editor.
Truly an amazing piece of software.

But the Fairlight section needs work.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
I hope they improve the (preview) rendering performance... without a very strong GPU it makes not much fun to work with DaVinci Resolve.
The basis of DaVinci Resolve's image processing is on GPU and we have no plans to alter that as it provides performance that can not be obtained by any other process. GPUs are not that expensive and there is a whole gaming industry that drives development so they become faster by the month.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba_Pietrzak View Post
I wonder, if Blackmagic properly implemented AAF export from DaVinci Resolve timeline.
I see more and more people using this app as a editing software.

I know, that there are some methods and work-arrounds to export AAF from Resolve, but so far it was quite painful process.

No one will force editors not to mix formats, sample freqs and bit depths within a project. So, this is an application (Resolve in this case), which needs to export AAF from a project properly.

I need to open a AAF within ProTools and have all edits, fades, clip gains and automation properly trasfered, so I would continue audio post work on a project.

If a Fairlight page could "open and finish a ProTools session", I would imagine, that Fairlight would also export the timeline to AAF, so "ProTools could open and finish the project".

regards,
Kuba
DaVinci Resolve has been exporting AAFs for years but only more recently added more audio metadata, automation and reference to the source audio stems.. take a look at the ProTools export rather than the AAF export.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I forgot there is a very silly option in the Timeline menu called "Layered Audio Editing". This has to be checked. Fairlight has always been layered so I'm not sure why it's an option. Try that.
This is an option to reduce UI clutter for those that don't need it. If you do, turn it on and it will remain on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
There's two kinds of user the programmer worries about:
  1. Users who use this feature constantly
  2. Users who don't seem to be aware the feature exists

Most programmers are super-duper worried about the second group, and constantly throwing spaghetti at the wall to get people out of the second group. Programmers don't worry as much about the first group, though Avid seems to be more worried than most, though this has good and bad consequences.
Its actually more complicated than that. We don't move Icons or controls randomly. Each position is discussed and often challenged but ultimately as an app thats rapidly being developed with new features added weekly there will be some elements that move.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I don't know who's on the team of Resolve when it comes to audio post. But I'd be happy to be involved with audio post centric input on the Fairlight section of resolve.
I started getting heavily into Resolve Iast year, and love it as a picture editor.

I'm happy to receive your feedback on the BMD, DaVinci Resolve forum where you will see me daily.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm happy to receive your feedback on the BMD, DaVinci Resolve forum where you will see me daily.
I’m really close to leaving Pro Tools for Resolve. I’ve already moved over from Premiere Pro for editing. A few questions for you Peter.

1) Are track layers like playlists in Pro Tools? If so is it possible to solo a layer without moving it to the top?

2) are there any plans for tighter integration with iZotope RX?

3) are there plans for splitting stereo/5.1 tracks to mono, and dragging multiple mono clips to a stereo/5.1 track?

4) is the CC-2 accelerator also the interface, or are there plans for a BM made audio interface?

5) any plans for ambisonics support?

Thanks so much.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

I hope this becomes the killer app it has the potential to be too. It’s already great for editing and grading.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The basis of DaVinci Resolve's image processing is on GPU and we have no plans to alter that as it provides performance that can not be obtained by any other process. GPUs are not that expensive and there is a whole gaming industry that drives development so they become faster by the month.
I agree.

You can pick up a GTX 1080 or 1080ti, or the recently released Radeon VII and get amazing horsepower. And these are not outrageously expensive video cards. A 1080 can be found for $300 used.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
1) Are track layers like playlists in Pro Tools? If so is it possible to solo a layer without moving it to the top?

2) are there any plans for tighter integration with iZotope RX?
Regarding #1 , not yet, but reportedly the original Fairlight had a feature called "rotating layers" and it may be in the works.

Regarding #2 , you can do round-trip work with iZotope RX (or any other audio editor for that matter) in Resolve since version 15. No need to export/import, you set RX as an external editor. Instructions here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...p?f=21&t=79216
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Regarding #1 , not yet, but reportedly the original Fairlight had a feature called "rotating layers" and it may be in the works.

Regarding #2 , you can do round-trip work with iZotope RX (or any other audio editor for that matter) in Resolve since version 15. No need to export/import, you set RX as an external editor. Instructions here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...p?f=21&t=79216
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was aware of round-tripping, my concern is that it’s destructive, unlike with RX Connect where you have the original version. What’s the workaround on this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AAF export isn't quite there yet.
Yes, it works.
Haven't tried it in 16 yet.

Will do so today.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search