The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Independent movie director looking for a SFX designer
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

MODS please delete

Position filled- Mods please delete

Last edited by Quantum7; 12th April 2019 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: position filled
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
upon completion the film will be shown at the Sundance Music festival, along with other movie festivals
I didn't see your name at imdb, so you might not have much experience with the film business. But AFAIK the festivals are juried based on viewing the film, and while Sundance is the hardest, the others are also very competitive.

Can your director actually promise a Sundance or other festival showing based just on his reputation and idea? Or is this just his hope and dream. If the latter, does he have experience finishing a full-length film? Does he have a budget? Is he using a professional DP and editor? Is he using a qualified mixer on set?

What kind of sound design is he looking for? Or is this his shorthand for general audio post, including dialog edit / premix / sfx edit / mix / etc?

I -- and many of my professional colleagues -- have no objection to helping a newbie for little or no money, if we've got the time and both the film and the filmmaker interest us. This is our craft and we love to work. Does he have any credits? Previous pieces to look at, even if they're not features. How about a treatment for this project?

See, most of us have also been burned, early in our careers, by "directors" or "producers" who talked a much better game than they knew how to produce. And after the fun and stress of shooting, that kind of project often falls apart in post... leaving the folks who committed to help, holding the bag.

This is not a knock on your particular director or project. He and it might be wonderfully inspired and qualified. But a little more info about that would surely help.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Unless this film has no dialog, you'll need a good dialog editor first and foremost.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
upon completion the film will be shown at the Sundance Music festival, along with other movie festivals and venues.

Laughed so hard at this. Your director and its script would have to be on the Sundance tracking boards to make even the slightest bit of this claim. In essence workshopped through them (or one of the production labs) or being produced by an equally well known producer/production group with Sundance connections. Since the director has no/little money, I'd say this is a bogus claim (not that they should have a lot of money, but they would be mentored in production by someone at this point.)

If this is a passion project, the director would be better off courting production help based on storyline/craft. Only way a professional would get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
but it could be a great opportunity for your personal portfolio and resume if your are a new and upcoming SFX designer who is looking to fill her or her portfolio, as you never know where opportunities like this can lead to.
A miserable waste of time and nowhere is where this leads to. This is the worst kind of carrot to dangle out.
Those who offer the least always expect the most (for nothing)
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post

Laughed so hard at this. Your director and its script would have to be on the Sundance tracking boards to make even the slightest bit of this claim. In essence workshopped through them (or one of the production labs) or being produced by an equally well known producer/production group with Sundance connections. Since the director has no/little money, I'd say this is a bogus claim (not that they should have a lot of money, but they would be mentored in production by someone at this point.)

If this is a passion project, the director would be better off courting production help based on storyline/craft. Only way a professional would get involved.

A miserable waste of time and nowhere is where this leads to. This is the worst kind of carrot to dangle out.
Those who offer the least always expect the most (for nothing)
He just e-mailed me from Hawaii where he is currently working and it seems that he has already found someone, so I guess I can remove this thread....can we remove threads? I have NO idea about the movie business and was just trying to do a favor for the guy since he was doing a low-budget movie this summer. I did music for him in the past and he is a very nice guy. I obviously thought wrong when I suggested to him that ambitious talent my lie in waiting on GS looking to gain experience....not to mention I really should have had HIM write the details up as I obviously don't know much about the movie biz. Sorry for the confusing post- my fault! I hope you enjoyed your giggles though.

Last edited by Quantum7; 12th April 2019 at 03:12 AM..
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
I didn't see your name at imdb, so you might not have much experience with the film business. But AFAIK the festivals are juried based on viewing the film, and while Sundance is the hardest, the others are also very competitive.

Can your director actually promise a Sundance or other festival showing based just on his reputation and idea? Or is this just his hope and dream. If the latter, does he have experience finishing a full-length film? Does he have a budget? Is he using a professional DP and editor? Is he using a qualified mixer on set?

What kind of sound design is he looking for? Or is this his shorthand for general audio post, including dialog edit / premix / sfx edit / mix / etc?

I -- and many of my professional colleagues -- have no objection to helping a newbie for little or no money, if we've got the time and both the film and the filmmaker interest us. This is our craft and we love to work. Does he have any credits? Previous pieces to look at, even if they're not features. How about a treatment for this project?

See, most of us have also been burned, early in our careers, by "directors" or "producers" who talked a much better game than they knew how to produce. And after the fun and stress of shooting, that kind of project often falls apart in post... leaving the folks who committed to help, holding the bag.

This is not a knock on your particular director or project. He and it might be wonderfully inspired and qualified. But a little more info about that would surely help.
Like I said above, other than watching films, I have really NO idea how the business works. He has made over a dozen films and has his stuff at many movie festivals, but Sundance is the only movie festival I've ever heard of, so perhaps I was wrong about which festivals. I was just trying to do the guy a favor when he mentioned it to me last week. I'm a music composer and not involved in ANY way in the movie business. I did music for him years ago. Anyway, I got an email from him this morning saying he had filled the position already. The next time I volunteer to do a favor like that, I'll have HIM write the details. Sorry for the confusion I caused. D'oh!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search