The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools 2019 - Avid's François Quereuil explains delayed release:
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Pro Tools 2019 - Avid's François Quereuil explains delayed release:

In case you didn't see this. Well worth reading:

Pro Tools 2019 - Why Is There A Delay In Releasing New Product Features? Avid Explain In This Exclusive Interview
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The interview is what it is, but I find the comments under that article kind of funny. Especially those blaming 'post bros' for the delay of the softwares release...

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Was Continuous Playback on some massive list of demands for decades? It’s never occurred to me to want this.

As opposed to, say, having two sessions open at once — though the plumbing they’re ripping out to make Continuous Playback work might make having multiple sessions open easier.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
Was Continuous Playback on some massive list of demands for decades? It’s never occurred to me to want this.
One of my problems with PT 2018 is that playback glitches while editing an open playlist. This wasn’t the case with earlier versions, but nevertheless, I need this to be fixed. It’s in my top five.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The way might work "continuous playback" is a little intriguing to me. I am wondering how it can possibly work when instantiating or removing plugins that induce high latency.... when you have latency compensation engaged. ??
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
The way might work "continuous playback" is a little intriguing to me. I am wondering how it can possibly work when instantiating or removing plugins that induce high latency.... when you have latency compensation engaged. ??
Good question. Perhaps it will remember the plugin latency and only update the compensation once playback stops.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don't get me wrong, I love Pro Tools. But if I see how small, efficient and stable Reaper is.. I think I would prefer Avid to totally rewrite their engine. And keep it 100% backwards compatible of course

Huub
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

If I buy now, 2019 will be a free update, right?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Users (chanting for the last decade): Bins please! Open multiple sessions at the same time to copy stuff between reels please!

AVID: Sorry guys it's taking us a bit longer to implement seamless plugin activation during playback. We *are* listening, no worries.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

While I'm sort of shrugging at seamless plugin activation during playback (sure, why not I suppose?) I am VERY happy about the additional voices being added. I'm still grouchy about their plans to charge for additional voice packs (WHY can't they just let your max computer power dictate a max top end), the extra newly included default voices on Pro Tools Ultimate for Native users will DEFINITELY be put to good use for me over here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
While I'm sort of shrugging at seamless plugin activation during playback (sure, why not I suppose?) I am VERY happy about the additional voices being added. I'm still grouchy about their plans to charge for additional voice packs (WHY can't they just let your max computer power dictate a max top end), the extra newly included default voices on Pro Tools Ultimate for Native users will DEFINITELY be put to good use for me over here.
Because that would mean you'd have the same if not more voices on native than on HDX3 because you lose so many voices on HDX to native plugin processing.
Image the outrage from all the people who invested multiple 10k$ into HDX3 rigs. I don't think they can't let that happen and still keep the extreme cost difference going.

But let's see if an average CPU can play 3x384 voices. ;-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

True, I mean I guess I knew WHY that was the reason, it's just frustrating to have artificial limits in place to hold hardware costs sky high. But I also know this debate is as old as TDM vs native processing, and I know HDX cards offer benefits to those that need them. But computing power will always eventually outpace whatever permanent hardware card designs Avid comes out with. Anyways, I'm just happy to get some extra voices. Working in-the-box on feature films I'm always bumping up against the native voice limits, even though my trash can is cruising along at well under half its max CPU.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BD View Post
If I buy now, 2019 will be a free update, right?

Thanks

Yes, you will have EVERY updated version of 2019 all the way to 2019.12 and possibly PT 2020. But I would wait till AFTER it comes out. I presumptuously bought PT Ultimate from PT 11 (was out of the 1 year plan by several years, so had to pay the 1K rate) earlier this year thinking it was coming out in early March. If I had known (and I should have know better than to count my chickens before they hatch), I would NOT have upgraded till after it was announced AND officially out..

Don't make the mistake I did. If I had waited and PT 2019 comes out lets say May 1st and I bought the new perpetual Ultimate plan on that day, then I I would get ALL the updates till May 1st of 2020. I was/am very happy with PT 11 and the ONLY reason I really upgraded was for the extra 128 tracks. Yes I know there's been a plethora of features since then, but PT 11 breaking the bit barrier going 64 with clip gain was a game changer

Last edited by SDDP; 1 week ago at 07:38 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Users (chanting for the last decade): Bins please!
I’m pretty sure we’re up to two decades now

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Don't make the mistake I did.
Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Because that would mean you'd have the same if not more voices on native than on HDX3 because you lose so many voices on HDX to native plugin processing.
Image the outrage from all the people who invested multiple 10k$ into HDX3 rigs. I don't think they can't let that happen and still keep the extreme cost difference going.

But let's see if an average CPU can play 3x384 voices. ;-)
Yet now HDX seems to be part of the problem in not releasing the new version. When it will be released, only native PT gets the voice bump (as they are still working on getting it to work with HDX).
I have a few HDX rigs here, and like most HDX owners / users, it looks like we are going to get shafted. The only reason I had to buy those cards in the first place was the artificial limit imposed on i/o for third party cards (when my RME MADI give me 192 io for other apps), and the voice count.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Neat. Hope PT goes places. It's puttering along.

Voice count. Unlimited everywhere else. Got us all by the balls on that one.

A year or two back, RME requested Cockos increase the maximum I/O count in Reaper to support RME MADI interfaces(those that do 384 inputs for example). So a week later it does 512 in and out. A 15 frackin MB installer.

I kinda wish PT had always been like that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search