The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How important is a DAW?
Old 5th April 2019
How important is a DAW?

We use to do a lot of voice over work for a production company in upper state NY. They have since gone out of business. Towards the end of our association they were trying to get us to switch over to ProTools. All their studios were PT equipped and they wanted us to switch over. The funny thing was all we were supplying them was mono .wav files. For some reason they thought we should be using PTs for all our work. All our mastering and other voice over work is done in WL. Any idea of why they were pushing us to use PTs? We never sent them anything but mono .wav files. Just curious as to how important a DAW is when you are only dealing with a final project? Thanks in advance!
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

It isn't. They might have wanted the sessions that the VO was recorded/edited in - in which case you would have needed to supply Pro Tools session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
We use to do a lot of voice over work for a production company in upper state NY. They have since gone out of business. Towards the end of our association they were trying to get us to switch over to ProTools. All their studios were PT equipped and they wanted us to switch over. The funny thing was all we were supplying them was mono .wav files. For some reason they thought we should be using PTs for all our work. All our mastering and other voice over work is done in WL. Any idea of why they were pushing us to use PTs? We never sent them anything but mono .wav files. Just curious as to how important a DAW is when you are only dealing with a final project? Thanks in advance!
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

I've danced around this question for nearly 30 years. My conclusions are that PT is needed if you are working as part of a post "team', especially if the work involves moving the project between facilities (like from a sound editing room to a dub stage), and if you need to employ more editors and mixers than yourself (since it is a standard most people know). There are a few networks etc that ask for PT sessions as part of a deliverables package, but what they want in them is often very specific to their needs and not a generic thing like a split stem. If you are working on your own and delivering just audio files then you can use whatever you want.
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear
As Philper says, having PT in most US markets or Nuendo in some other global ones is vital if you're in a workflow that delivers complete multichannel sessions to the next studio down the line.

If all you're delivering is the bought version of a v/o, a session file is actually more work on both ends. If the receiving studio wants to fine-tune edits you made during continuous sounds, or the read was in short pieces synced to video (like a narration), a session would definitely help. So would an OMF or AAF, which also support timecode and have have the advantage of being supported by all major DAWs rather than just being Digi proprietary.

Or if you and they want true universality on a narration read to pix with long pauses, a BWF (or even flat .wav or AIFF) with long pauses will be just as good... if you compress the file with FLAC or Quicktime APPL before shipping. Both of those compression techniques don't waste space on silences and have absolutely no degradation of audio quality. (They'll also produce a smaller file than PT sessions, OMF, or AFF: voice tracks without long pauses usually shrink to about 60% of the original through FLAC or APPL.

Like Philper, I've danced around that same question a long time. In the 90s and early 00s I was using a proprietary $$$ DAW with a dedicated tower and its own super-efficient file format. When I had to feed another studio, I sent mono or multichannel .wav... or DA8 tapes, before the Internet was efficient enough.

When I started doing more long format theatrical and needed a more powerful DAW, I went with Nuendo for speed... but kept a current version of PT on a separate tower if needed to check translations. Past several years I haven't worried about keeping PT up, and haven't had a working copy since 2015. Nobody's complained. There are plenty of solutions now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search