The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boot drive on different Mac Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Boot drive on different Mac

Hey forum,

this fall I will be working on a larger project for a client that I haven't worked for in a while. Their room is used by different colleagues and tbh I am not to keen on working on their installation, their installation lacks of lot of plugins, tools and updates that I need for my workflow.

I'll be preparing everything in my studio in the months before, but mixing needs to be done at their place because the director will jump between rooms looking at color correction, vfx and audio.

Has any of you ever tried moving the boot ssd to a different mac and just work with their installation on a different machine? Does this work well or will I run into a gazillion problems?
Their room has a similar but not the same mac pro and hardware.
I would obviously need to bring my personal iLok for the licenses.

Does anyone here have experience with this sort of workflow?
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

Hello,

I don't really help you but last time I did this (exactly for the the same purpose) I bring my Mac Pro (and my Ilok of course), not the OS hard drive.
At least I was certain of compatibility !
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear
Can of worms. Suggest you make a duplicate of your boot drive with Carbon Copy Cloner... if it mounts and is stable at the new studio, great. (If not, you still have a bootable backup for your computer.

Bring the Clone... but also make sure you have your own computer handy in case there's a problem.

Either way, be prepared to spend some time configuring your drive or computer for their i/o and other non-Apple hardware.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Maniac

..or make a clone of their bootdrive, put it in an enclosure (the ones from Sabrent work really well with Mac). Try booting it on your system with the Option key. Prepare it with all the plugs and files you need. Should get you less worms..
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

It *can* work.. But very tricky. For example my new macbook touchbar will not boot anything older than 10.14..
(For newer macs you have to enable booting from external disks anyway, but even with this enabled no go.)
Older macs seem to be okay doing this. But I think you need to plan a day or two to do this with no guarantee of succes
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

As long as the hardware is similar it works just fine (Mac 5,1 into a Mac 5,1 for example). I do this on a regular basis when working in different studios.

One thing to consider is that software authorized with a serial number is often tied to the MAC address so if you move your boot drive to a different machine those programs might have to be authorized again.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
As long as the hardware is similar it works just fine (Mac 5,1 into a Mac 5,1 for example). I do this on a regular basis when working in different studios.

One thing to consider is that software authorized with a serial number is often tied to the MAC address so if you move your boot drive to a different machine those programs might have to be authorized again.
That's what I try to do Mac Pro 5,1 6 core 3,3 to MacPro 5,1 12 core 2.whatever. The soft licences are on my radar, but I suppose it's a matter of connecting the machine to the internet and run the online authorizations again...Most things are on my iLok or USB dongles.

Cool, to know it can be done. I will try this.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
Can of worms. Suggest you make a duplicate of your boot drive with Carbon Copy Cloner... if it mounts and is stable at the new studio, great. (If not, you still have a bootable backup for your computer.

Bring the Clone... but also make sure you have your own computer handy in case there's a problem.

Either way, be prepared to spend some time configuring your drive or computer for their i/o and other non-Apple hardware.
This.

I bring my own boot drive to almost every session and the main thing is having the correct drivers for their interface and time for the initial I/O set-up before getting started.

R.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

I do this often between various models of 5,1.
Only issue is some software authorisations that use offline activation. Everything else is fine.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

I bring boot drives with me all the time. With 15 min. of I/O tweaking, it’s no problem at all. Great way to work. iCloud freaks out, but you can ignore it. I wish that 100% of my plugs were iLok, but the ones that aren’t don’t complain.
Old 7th April 2019
When at the site you might have more luck restating the computer than booting after a shutdown because the drivers that work for that setup have already loaded onto the hardware which is maintained after reboot for many computers
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
As you already saw, *this*. To add, just make sure it isn't a 4,1 or 3,1. Fine machines, but OS will only go up to Yosemite.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search