The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the Rode NTG3 shotgun mic suitable for indoor and outdoor Foley work? Condenser Microphones
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Head
Is the Rode NTG3 shotgun mic suitable for indoor and outdoor Foley work?

Just curious. I know it's a shotgun mic but I've read that people sometimes used the Sennheiser 416 shotgun in the studio and outdoors as well, and these are usually compared to each other. So, I'm wondering if I buy the NTG3, would it be able to record decently quiet sounds indoors and be a good all purpose mic for recording Foley in general, or would it be a better idea to get a condenser mic for quiet/indoor sounds and get a separate shotgun mic for outdoors/directional recording?*

(such as the Rode NT1/Audio-Technica 4040 condenser and Rode NTG4 shotgun)

Last edited by Jaturna; 31st March 2019 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: sentence correction.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head
I bought an NTG3 for sound effects recording, both inside and outdoors, with a view to buying a 416 at a later date but I found that I much prefer the sound of the NTG3 and now I won't be buying a 416 (at least for the foreseeable future).

I find it to be less 'harsh' and 'sibilant' than the 416 in the upper middle frequencies.

When I get back to the studio and listen to what I've recorded I'm always blown away by just how good the NTG3 sounds!

I've also used it for film ADR and I find it to be completely satisfactory when trying to match it to production recordings made with other mics (although I'd probably prefer something like a KMR 81 or 82).

As a bonus, it also comes with a 10 year warranty.
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
I bought an NTG3 for sound effects recording, both inside and outdoors, with a view to buying a 416 at a later date but I found that I much prefer the sound of the NTG3 and now I won't be buying a 416 (at least for the foreseeable future).

I find it to be less 'harsh' and 'sibilant' than the 416 in the upper middle frequencies.

When I get back to the studio and listen to what I've recorded I'm always blown away by just how good the NTG3 sounds!

I've also used it for film ADR and I find it to be completely satisfactory when trying to match it to production recordings made with other mics (although I'd probably prefer something like a KMR 81 or 82).

Ah I was hoping so! I found a good deal on one and I might just take the plunge!
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:

Do you think it does well with relfections indoors? I will be recording in a small treated room inside my house (not perfectly treated but nothing like a bare room)
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaturna View Post
Do you think it does well with relfections indoors?
I recently used my NTG3 to record a dog in a kitchen, playing and eating, and was very happy with the results.

I was placing the microphone as close to the dog as possible (mic on a boom pole) but wasn't aware of any reflection issues.

Other mics may be better for indoor recordings but the NTG3 is fine in this context.

I'm sure your room will be fine but, just try to get the mic close to the subject because any room which doesn't have a flat frequency response will affect the recording to some degree, and you will start to hear the room in your recordings if the mic is too far from the subject.

I think the NTG3 is a great all purpose microphone and I'm very happy with it.
Old 3rd April 2019
Quote:
So, I'm wondering if I buy the NTG3, would it be able to record decently quiet sounds indoors and be a good all purpose mic for recording Foley in general,
Yes. Love mine and agree with comments above.

Personally I usually use a 414 in the quiet studio environment for Foley with more rich detail, but I also record a lot of Foley/FX at home with NTG3 in a less-treated environment, and exterior too. It's a great mic.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Just be aware -- micing foley too close can make it sound unnatural. Whose ears are next to their shoes? Best to have a decent to good to great foley room.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Just be aware -- micing foley too close can make it sound unnatural. Whose ears are next to their shoes? Best to have a decent to good to great foley room.
I totally agree.

The same goes for ADR.

There is nothing worse than ADR recorded in a "boxy" sounding room, especially when it has to match dialogue for an exterior scene.

This is particularly true if the actor on set is really projecting or shouting their lines!
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
I totally agree.

The same goes for ADR.

There is nothing worse than ADR recorded in a "boxy" sounding room, especially when it has to match dialogue for an exterior scene.

This is particularly true if the actor on set is really projecting or shouting their lines!
Do you think the Rode NTG3 would be sensitive enough to record clothing rustles at a decent volume? I have an Zoom H6, so I have to use those pres at the moment. I wonder if a dedicated mic pre amp would give me a better signal to noise ratio.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wonder if a dedicated mic pre amp would give me a better signal to noise ratio.
It will, but maybe not as much as you think. Most don't realize that normal rooms are not very quiet at all when you crank up the gain to record clothing. It's one of the many reasons foley is done in dedicated rooms. Yet, I certainly realize that we all make do with what we have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search