The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying a used Avid s6 Control Surfaces
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Buying a used Avid s6

About to pick up a Avid S6 from the used market. Have a small Post operation and we are adding a smaller mix room. We mainly do stereo work but will do some Atmos work in the future. (home not theatrical) About to pick up a used S6 M40. Anything I need to be aware of when shopping the used market for one of these? I know there is a pricey support plan to get the latest software and it seems the user base has been less than luke warm towards dev on this expensive controller. What are look outs that Most people aren't thinking about? I currently have a S3 and dock with a HDX system so Im already in the avid ecosystem.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX View Post
About to pick up a Avid S6 from the used market. Have a small Post operation and we are adding a smaller mix room. We mainly do stereo work but will do some Atmos work in the future. (home not theatrical) About to pick up a used S6 M40. Anything I need to be aware of when shopping the used market for one of these? I know there is a pricey support plan to get the latest software and it seems the user base has been less than luke warm towards dev on this expensive controller. What are look outs that Most people aren't thinking about? I currently have a S3 and dock with a HDX system so Im already in the avid ecosystem.
If you get it I would also get the support plan. Buttons do break. Watch out if all of the softkeys are still working.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Maniac

If the unit is from an early batch, make sure to check the XLR connector (for TB) on the master module...if you plan on using it that is.

All S6s will have some noise in the TB circuit when using this connector (interference from the electronics in the master module) but early units had improper grounding as well, unleashing a barrage of noise into the cue sends when engaging talkback.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf0l View Post
If the unit is from an early batch, make sure to check the XLR connector (for TB) on the master module...if you plan on using it that is.

All S6s will have some noise in the TB circuit when using this connector (interference from the electronics in the master module) but early units had improper grounding as well, unleashing a barrage of noise into the cue sends when engaging talkback.
Eek. thats a proper tip. Its a 2015 so I would say it falls in the early models. Is there a fix for that? I have a Dangerous but would need to add the Surround module to make it useful in this scenario.

Last edited by HoPMiX; 30th March 2019 at 07:04 PM..
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Eek. thats a proper tip. Its a 2015 so I would say it falls in the early models. Is there a fix for that? I have a Dangerous but would need to add the Surround modulate to make it useful in this scenario.
If you get the support plan, trust me you need it, just return anything that's broken. Done. Avid ships it to you super fast.

Last edited by brandoncross; 31st March 2019 at 12:24 AM..
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Eek. thats a proper tip. Its a 2015 so I would say it falls in the early models. Is there a fix for that? I have a Dangerous but would need to add the Surround modulate to make it useful in this scenario.
We RMA’d our units and Avid replaced them. Others have tried fixing it themselves - see this thread on DUC.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
If you get the support plan, trust me you need it, just return a ything that's broken. Done. Acid ships in to you super fast.
Did I just log into Drugslutz?
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Did I just log into Drugslutz?
Yeah sorry. I should have proofed that.
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
Yeah sorry. I should have proofed that.
But then there's no joke.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Definitely check all the buttons - we've had so many mute buttons on the fader modules snap on us, leaving them lopsided.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

I heard from a vendor that there is a new hardware revision that has better buttons. The place I freelance at seems to have had no issues since that version was installed/replaced.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tips so far!
Anyone ever gone through transfer of ownership on a s6?
Seems like the previous owner never registered any modules but obviously the software Key is registered and I need to transfer it and get into a support plan or this bad boy is a brick. If you have gone thru transfer, do you need to fo each module and Software key or just software key?

Other thing is I want to add a producer desk and the legs avid packages and no dealer Ive called so far has been able to get pricing or procedure to do that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the tips so far!
Anyone ever gone through transfer of ownership on a s6?
Seems like the previous owner never registered any modules but obviously the software Key is registered and I need to transfer it and get into a support plan or this bad boy is a brick. If you have gone thru transfer, do you need to fo each module and Software key or just software key?

Other thing is I want to add a producer desk and the legs avid packages and no dealer Ive called so far has been able to get pricing or procedure to do that.
I'd suggest you hop over to the DUC into the S6 section where Eddie Jones, Avid's product owner for the S6 hangs out. He should be able to help you with all of this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I'd suggest you hop over to the DUC into the S6 section where Eddie Jones, Avid's product owner for the S6 hangs out. He should be able to help you with all of this.
Yeah I’ve posted there but GS tends to respond faster. The DUC has been pretty slow for the last few years. Eddie seems to be the man for all technical issues but there just seems to be a void of info on this particular issue.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You only have to register the software key and MTM module (the main master touch module section.)
Individual modules don't need to be registered as everything about an S6 is tied to the MTM and their support plan is only based on that (it doesn't matter how many modules you have.)

As for transfer and fees, talk to an S6 dealer. The support plan is only sold via dealers so it is in their best interest to help you manage a transfer of license and start a new plan. I would suggest Westlake Pro even though you are in the Bay Area as they probably are one of the largest S6 sellers. Avid doesn't do direct sales/manage sales on the S6 directly but prefer to rely on a dealer network.

Even when you negotiate an artist deal with Avid it still will go through a dealer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You only have to register the software key and MTM module (the main master touch module section.)
Individual modules don't need to be registered as everything about an S6 is tied to the MTM and their support plan is only based on that (it doesn't matter how many modules you have.)

As for transfer and fees, talk to an S6 dealer. The support plan is only sold via dealers so it is in their best interest to help you manage a transfer of license and start a new plan. I would suggest Westlake Pro even though you are in the Bay Area as they probably are one of the largest S6 sellers. Avid doesn't do direct sales/manage sales on the S6 directly but prefer to rely on a dealer network.

Even when you negotiate an artist deal with Avid it still will go through a dealer.
Cool. Thanks for that. Already filled out a transfer form with just the master module and the software key which was only a 20 dollar fee.
I’ll call west lake tomorrow and see if they can price out some legs and a producer desk.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for that. Already filled out a transfer form with just the master module and the software key which was only a 20 dollar fee.
I’ll call west lake tomorrow and see if they can price out some legs and a producer desk.
To get a support/software plan, you have to go through a dealer too.
Can't get that direct from Avid.
So you might as well ask for a quote there too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Last time I got a quote the producer desk was 3699 and the legs 6000.

These are euros and excl 21% tax.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Last time I got a quote the producer desk was 3699 and the legs 6000.

These are euros and excl 21% tax.
That would be insanity if true.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That would be insanity if true.
That sounds right. The keyboard tray is 450 bucks.

Last edited by brandoncross; 3 weeks ago at 05:28 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We bought producers desk, legs, and the whole thing (MTM, M40, lots of modules and screens) together. The discounting can be fairly massive if everything you want is packaged in the deal. It's like buying a car really. The Avid numbers are just the starting ones and it's up to the dealer you choose.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search