The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Two different edit windows?
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Two different edit windows?

All,

I just finished listening to the Tonebenders podcast ep 97, where they interviewed Gary Bourgeois about how he sets up his sessions/template/etc.

One thing he mentioned is that instead of using a dual monitor setup for Edit on one monitor and mix on the second he will have Dialogue on one and Music on the second. This seems easy to do when you have a system for dialogue and one for music. He made it seem like it was possible to do on a single system as well. Is it? If so, how?

Thank you,
Randall
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Such a great podcast episode. On my 2nd listen today. I think he’s using two systems.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks Ben.

He mentions that he is mostly on two systems - and this would make sense for that. Maybe I misheard, but it sounded like he said he does this on single systems as well. Hence the question.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Such a great podcast episode. On my 2nd listen today. I think he’s using two systems.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Thanks Ben.

He mentions that he is mostly on two systems - and this would make sense for that. Maybe I misheard, but it sounded like he said he does this on single systems as well. Hence the question.

Randall
Could he just have his desktop extend to a 2nd (or 3rd) screen? (Haven't heard the podcast).

Alistair
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

It is possible and I thought of that. The one thing that makes me think he doesn't is that they are not mirrored; he has one edit window showing Dialogue and one showing music so he can mix both and see what is coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Could he just have his desktop extend to a 2nd (or 3rd) screen? (Haven't heard the podcast).

Alistair
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Nut
Extending the desktop is exactly that, adding another screen's worth of real estate to your desktop; the mouse moves through both screens as if they're one monitor and thus you can move windows in between and around displays like a ghost goes through walls.

It's different to mirroring, which as you rightly suggest is the exact same on both displays.

Could it be 2 instances of the same program? (Haven't heard the podcast)
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

I don't think he's extending his desktop and re-sizing a single edit window..., that would only give you more horizontal space to work with. He's getting more vertical space to work with so he can see all his dialogue and music tracks at the same time.

Unless there's some hidden feature, I don't think this is possible with a single system. Would LOOOOOOVE to be proved wrong though!!
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't think he's extending his desktop and re-sizing a single edit wf indow..., that would only give you more horizontal space to work with. He's getting more vertical space to work with so he can see all his dialogue and music tracks at the same time.
In Windows you can extend the desktop in any direction including vertically (even if the screens are physically beside each other horizontally).

Not saying that that is what Gary Bourgeois is doing but it is possible.

PS: If you look at his template screenshots, it looks possible he is doing that:

Alistair
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
In Windows you can extend the desktop in any direction including vertically (even if the screens are physically beside each other horizontally).

Not saying that that is what Gary Bourgeois is doing but it is possible.

Alistair
Your right!! Totally forgot about that.
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Your right!! Totally forgot about that.
I added screenshots to my previous post.

Alistair
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Addict
It’s likely he is turning the screens on their side so you can get more tracks on the screen at the same time. I do this if there is a very high track count session
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search