The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Import AAFs no longer working. DAW Software
Old 16th March 2019
Here for the gear

Import AAFs no longer working.

Hello All.

I posted this in the Pro Tools forum and was recommend to post here.

Me and a few other mixers in my circle are having an issue trying to import an AAF from the latest version of AVID MC ( from AVID MC 2018.10.10 & 10.12 ) into an older version of Pro Tools ( I use PT 10 at home, I know it's old but still working for my home use ) My system works fine but I can no longer import an AAF from New AVID MC only

From what I've determined, NEW AVID AAFs can now only be opened with the latest version of Pro Tools Ultimate or Pro Tools 12.8.3.

At 1 studio I work at we had to update the PT from version 12.3 to 12.8 to be able to import an AAF

AAF problem ( The AAF imports with no audio, the blocks are there and named but it can not link the audio ) and according to 1 of the techs, AVID said we need to update to the latest version of PT in order to import from the latest AVID MC.

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and potentially has a work around so I don't need to update my home system, which will require a new computer and software update $$$ ( or go to work to open AAFs, )

All I need to do is import an AAF by any means possible, then I can use my PT10HD for the mixes.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

I haven't had this specific issue because I'm always using the latest but I would get the studio you are working for to translate the aaf to a pro tools session and have them send that to you. Sometimes avid puts a compatibility checkbox in the export windows. See if there is that. Lastly, have the production company export the aaf from an older version of MC.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaudio View Post
.... and according to 1 of the techs, AVID said we need to update to the latest version of PT in order to import from the latest AVID MC.
I simply can not believe that is true.
But if so ... shame on AVID.

Fredo
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello All.

I posted this in the Pro Tools forum and was recommend to post here.

Me and a few other mixers in my circle are having an issue trying to import an AAF from the latest version of AVID MC ( from AVID MC 2018.10.10 & 10.12 ) into an older version of Pro Tools ( I use PT 10 at home, I know it's old but still working for my home use ) My system works fine but I can no longer import an AAF from New AVID MC only

From what I've determined, NEW AVID AAFs can now only be opened with the latest version of Pro Tools Ultimate or Pro Tools 12.8.3.

At 1 studio I work at we had to update the PT from version 12.3 to 12.8 to be able to import an AAF

AAF problem ( The AAF imports with no audio, the blocks are there and named but it can not link the audio ) and according to 1 of the techs, AVID said we need to update to the latest version of PT in order to import from the latest AVID MC.

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and potentially has a work around so I don't need to update my home system, which will require a new computer and software update $$$ ( or go to work to open AAFs, )

All I need to do is import an AAF by any means possible, then I can use my PT10HD for the mixes.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Have the Media Composer editor export AAF NOT embedded.

As Brandon Stated:
There is also an option in MC for ALL versions of Protools.
Or use an older version, as most companies don't want to pay for the latest and greatest MC
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Could you please pm the link to the thread on the duc for me? I am stupid and can’t find it.

Or if anyone else has links to what has changed and how this issue plays out I would be grateful for links pmed to me (I don't think gearslutz appreciates open links to other forums IIRC)

Last edited by ErikG; 18th March 2019 at 06:59 AM..
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks All,

I have done a few tests so far.

Avid MC 2018.10 - normal export - seems to import AAF with PT10HD

Avid MC 2018.10 -Export MBox AAF - seems to import AAF with PT10HD

First Test with Avid 2018.12 - Normal Export - Did not work

Avid 2018.12 - Pro Tools Mbox AAF Export -??? ( I hope this is my answer )

I don't always have access to editors with different versions of MC to run these tests for me, so it's taking a little while.

I have not been back to the Network running Avid MC 2018.12 yet or have been able to do any tests with that version, but if I can have the editor export as Pro Tools MBox AAF that might work.

I much appreciate all the help on this thread. I will keep you updated on my results as this might help others coming across the same issue.
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

i have a few freelancers who cannot open any embedded aafs from the latest MC on their older Protools 10 and 11 systems. I end up having to open them on 12 and send them sessions to work on.
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Great Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if you know what version of AVID MC your editors are using. I found this on the AVID site regarding AVID MC 2018.12.2

I- Bug Number: MCCET-2825. An AAF embedded export from Media Composer did not import properly into Pro Tools v12.7.1 and earlier. If you experience this problem, enable the “ProTools 10/12 compatibility” option in the Export as AAF dialog. The exported AAF will be compatible with earlier versions of Pro Tools.

If anybody is getting AAFs from this version of MC, can you let me know if this fix works ( I know eventually I will need to purchase a new mac and upgrade my home system but holding off till maybe the New Mac Pros are released ).
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisser View Post
Thanks
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Is anyone here working with an editor or edit facility that has the latest AVID MC 2018.12.2 or later so I can confirm that there is in fact a “ProTools 10/12 compatibility” option in the Export as AAF dialog.

Thank you.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

i have 2 projects being cut on brand new avid MC in two different facilities

both editors told me there is NO "protools 10/12 compatibility" option during AAF export
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you for the information, I appreciate the quick reply.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hello All,

I have attached the window that Avid tells me should come up on AVID MC 2018.12.2 or later only and this will solve any compatibility issues with importing into any Pro Tools prior to v12.7.1

If anyone knows someone running AVID MC 2018.12.2 or later and can confirm this please let me know. It would be great if I could run a test

Thanks again
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AVID 2018.12.2 AAF Export.pdf (76.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

I received a few AAFs the other day that didn''t work. They were all embedded.
I asked the editor to re-export without embedding, along with media folder.
That worked.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
I received a few AAFs the other day that didn''t work. They were all embedded.
I asked the editor to re-export without embedding, along with media folder.
That worked.
same here

embedded = not working

media files = working

tell the video editor to make wav files, not mxf
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

mxf files worked for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hello All,

I have attached the window that Avid tells me should come up on AVID MC 2018.12.2 or later only and this will solve any compatibility issues with importing into any Pro Tools prior to v12.7.1

If anyone knows someone running AVID MC 2018.12.2 or later and can confirm this please let me know. It would be great if I could run a test
I'm running 2018.12.3 on OSX and can confirm that I DO see that checkbox in the AAF export settings window.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorA View Post
I'm running 2018.12.3 on OSX and can confirm that I DO see that checkbox in the AAF export settings window.
could you please attach a screenshot?

two video editors told it's not there

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
could you please attach a screenshot?

two video editors told it's not there

Not in front of AMC atm but it was same as screen grab above, maybe they are not using ‘export’ dialogue ? (Right click on sequence, output | export to file).

It may be they are using ‘send to’ dialogue? (Which uses export templates but maybe without options to change).
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Trevor, thanks for confirming the export option. Now I just have to find an editor with that upgrade so I can test an AAF on my system. Thanks again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's getting to a point where AAF perhaps can not cope with all the new features all these NLEs added over the years. Like mixed frame rates, merged clips etc.

I mean if AVID can't make it work between their own apps, how should we expect Premiere, Resolve etc to work with it.

It is time for AAF2
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search