The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wacom tips? DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Wacom tips?

I’ve recently borrowed a tablet (Intuos 4) from a colleague to see if it’ll help reduce symptoms of RSI (pain/discomfort in index finger) and I’m looking for some tips/want to see how others have mapped functions to the pen/tablet.

While I appreciate that there is a learning curve and will take some time getting used to, there are a few things I’ve noticed immediately after trying it out:

Pros:
Hand is in a much more relaxed position and I don’t feel any discomfort using it. (I consciously have to think about moving the hand rather than twisting it, but I think I’ll get the hand of it soon)
Precision when using it for ‘pen-like’ maneuvers like spectral editing is great
The wheel menu (whatever it’s called) seems like it can be setup to speed up quite a few workflows...looking into what functions to map to it.

Cons:
Clicking on the timeline to place playhead often results in a tiny (sub-frame) selection
Putting the pen down to use right hand for keyboard shortcuts/entering TC/changing memory locations and then picking pen up again takes a lot longer than just moving hand from mouse and back.
The scroll wheel on the tablet doesn’t map properly (specifically shift-opt scroll does not adjust waveform size)

Any Wacom users out there that mind sharing how they’ve set things up/how they address the issues listed above/other tips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I picked one up for the same reason... it just wasn’t practical for me
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use a pen about 20% of the time, but never with protools. I work insane hours and it's more about relaxing to prevent repetitive stress injuries. But in protools using touch/iPad/dock it's kind of the same thing as Wacom but more integrated with the workflow, but really in the same vein this breaks things up for me more the actually being better then the mouse - just helps keep me in the zone by avoiding stress.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf0l View Post
I’ve recently borrowed a tablet (Intuos 4) from a colleague to see if it’ll help reduce symptoms of RSI (pain/discomfort in index finger) and I’m looking for some tips/want to see how others have mapped functions to the pen/tablet.

While I appreciate that there is a learning curve and will take some time getting used to, there are a few things I’ve noticed immediately after trying it out:

Pros:
Hand is in a much more relaxed position and I don’t feel any discomfort using it. (I consciously have to think about moving the hand rather than twisting it, but I think I’ll get the hand of it soon)
Precision when using it for ‘pen-like’ maneuvers like spectral editing is great
The wheel menu (whatever it’s called) seems like it can be setup to speed up quite a few workflows...looking into what functions to map to it.

Cons:
Clicking on the timeline to place playhead often results in a tiny (sub-frame) selection
Putting the pen down to use right hand for keyboard shortcuts/entering TC/changing memory locations and then picking pen up again takes a lot longer than just moving hand from mouse and back.
The scroll wheel on the tablet doesn’t map properly (specifically shift-opt scroll does not adjust waveform size)

Any Wacom users out there that mind sharing how they’ve set things up/how they address the issues listed above/other tips?

Thanks in advance!
I've been 100% Wacom tablet on Pro Tools for over a decade now.

•Contrary to Wacom's recommendation, I use mouse mapping instead of pen mapping. This gives me more control in tight spaces even while using lots of screens. You do have to pick up and drag sometimes.

•Ignore the wheel, I haven't been able to do anything useful with it, but the buttons are great for PT shortcuts.

•Top button on pen should be click-lock so you can grab a window or plug-in and fly it around fast.

•Enable Post-roll with a silly value like 3 hours so in case you do make a small selection you can still play through.

It's faster than a mouse, and way faster than a trackball. On the occasions when I do have to use a trackball it drives me nutty. And if you're interested in better input devices, you should get a Dock. You won't have to click in the timeline again with a Dock set to Move Sel.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
I've been 100% Wacom tablet on Pro Tools for over a decade now.

•Contrary to Wacom's recommendation, I use mouse mapping instead of pen mapping. This gives me more control in tight spaces even while using lots of screens. You do have to pick up and drag sometimes.

•Ignore the wheel, I haven't been able to do anything useful with it, but the buttons are great for PT shortcuts.

•Top button on pen should be click-lock so you can grab a window or plug-in and fly it around fast.

•Enable Post-roll with a silly value like 3 hours so in case you do make a small selection you can still play through.

It's faster than a mouse, and way faster than a trackball. On the occasions when I do have to use a trackball it drives me nutty. And if you're interested in better input devices, you should get a Dock. You won't have to click in the timeline again with a Dock set to Move Sel.
Thanks a lot.

I’d already set it to mouse mapping because pen mapping felt really unnatural to me. Big thumbs up for the click-lock tip - made things a lot easier!
I’m mixing on a D-Command (and will soon upgrade to an S6) so have been trying out navigating with the wheel for a week now. Embarrassed to say I’m one of those who always questioned the use of wheel navigation and have left it largely untouched except for the occasional scrubbing or FF...it works well enough when mixing, but when editing it feels a bit constrained.

I may or may not get the hang of this, but I have another week or two of relative quiet before things get busy again so we’ll see. Good thing is this respite from mousing has left my hand feelin a lot better so can go back to using a mouse should time constraints demand it.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Can you map the wheel to clip gain up/down?

Randall
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m mixing on a D-Command (and will soon upgrade to an S6) so have been trying out navigating with the wheel for a week now. Embarrassed to say I’m one of those who always questioned the use of wheel navigation and have left it largely untouched except for the occasional scrubbing or FF...it works well enough when mixing, but when editing it feels a bit constrained.
The wheel on the S6 and the Dock is super-useful if you're in "Move Sel" mode. In that mode, I'm constantly running the wheel back and forth. It's a great way to navigate during editing and mixing.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search