The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Counsel me on a suitable controller for audio post
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Counsel me on a suitable controller for audio post

Primary business is tv editorial. Doing more and more sound code ‘discovery’ work at home (yes, I know). Recommend a controller 1k or under.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Do you mean a fader box? If you are using PT the Artist Mix is good, and doesn't take up a lot of space. The Presonus Faderports are a good deal, I think.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Do you mean a fader box? If you are using PT the Artist Mix is good, and doesn't take up a lot of space. The Presonus Faderports are a good deal, I think.
Logic is my main daw.
I’ve transposed my tablet and stylus workflow which I use on edit side. Don’t like for audio. Want to be able to assign plugin parameters to twisty knobs buttons and faders. A tactile approach.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

If you just want knobs/faders to assign, I'd suggest the AKAI models (whatever/whichever size you need.) Easy to use/install/integrate and assign parameters to.
And cheap.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear
Behringer X-Touch (for multiple faders) or X-Touch One - work great with Logic. Really great.
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear

Anybody who may have used Softube Console 1 for post work that can offer feedback?

Edit: Have an x touch sitting on my desk now. Thank you for all your advice.
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

I have the console 1 with the SSL 4k, 9k, and a few other of their plugins that map to the controller.

It works better for music, mostly because the HW emulations are not really well suited for the crappy dialog that I work with.

You really need steep Q for your eq's and the SSL 4k (the steepest) go up to a Q of 3.

Also it's not tightly integrated into Pro Tools (which I use) assuming you do as well until they emulate and integrate a Harrison MPC-5 with Q of 1-100 and transparent compressors with make-up gain (not available on the SSLs) i'd pass.

Having said that, since it's so CPU-efficient and the transient (shape) section of the 4K is great for hard SFX and for eq boosts high Q's aren't necessary, and it's drive section (set to 5 or 12 o'clock) imparts a type of analog-ness which can help hold things together I do use it often.

TLDR: It has potential to be a real "thing" for post if Avid allowed Softube to better integrate it's insane functionality (like other DAWs do) and if Softube had Console 1 models of modern Harrison consoles.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Primary business is tv editorial. Doing more and more sound code ‘discovery’ work at home (yes, I know). Recommend a controller 1k or under.

Believe it or not.
A single channel Persons Faderport!!

You did say you were doing editorial, not mixing, right?
Old 8th June 2019
Led
Lives for gear

If you're doing a lot of editing the Artist Control is good with the ability to program your own chains of commands to any of the eight soft buttons or the touch screen as well as the jog wheel, vpots for parameter control and 4 faders. You can do a lot once you get into programming your own Eucon commands.

Last edited by Led; 8th June 2019 at 10:43 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search