The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Camera feed from voice booth
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Camera feed from voice booth

We do a lot of remote recording sessions where the client connects via Skype video conference. I've been using an old security camera that has composite output to feed a firewire DV box to feed Skype. It works but looks pretty crap.
What is everyone using for this?

Am I going to need a USB extender (to work on coax cables) and a webcam?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
We do a lot of remote recording sessions where the client connects via Skype video conference. I've been using an old security camera that has composite output to feed a firewire DV box to feed Skype. It works but looks pretty crap.
What is everyone using for this?

Am I going to need a USB extender (to work on coax cables) and a webcam?
I’ve done it a few ways but if the client is amenable I prefer (gasp) FaceTime or Skype with an old iPhone... small and easy to move around... it’s particularly helpful if I’m bouncing between being vocal talent and helping them flesh out the composition.. I can easily grab the iPhone from my vox tracking space and walk over to the piano corner or guitar corner or my daw whilst video sexting with the client lol

I’ll add that I’m the session talent in this transaction and I’m tracking on my gear locally not on a fancy remote deal into their local protools session
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We have to be able to connect talent and talkback feed separately though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
A USB color webcam costs $10. It won't be auto focus, but if you mount it (gaff tape or stiff wire), it'll be easy to frame and focus the shot on your talent.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
A USB color webcam costs $10. It won't be auto focus, but if you mount it (gaff tape or stiff wire), it'll be easy to frame and focus the shot on your talent.
I actually do have a very good Logitech webcam (cheap ones don't work well on mac). However I would need to get the USB into the booth somehow, via coax or Cat5. Any suggestions?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually do have a very good Logitech webcam (cheap ones don't work well on mac). However I would need to get the USB into the booth somehow, via coax or Cat5. Any suggestions?
Yea, USB-->CAT5 (or better)-->USB extender.

I'd link you to some options, but being in 'Merikka won't help you find a NZ option. I am sure there are plenty there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I'd link you to some options, but being in 'Merikka won't help you find a NZ option. I am sure there are plenty there.
It's cheaper to buy from US and get it shipped tbh.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's cheaper to buy from US and get it shipped tbh.
ok.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ext.../dp/B003L14ZTC

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Ex.../dp/B003WO40V6
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks!
So have you used these (or similar) with a webcam?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I bought one that is similar to these but it doesn't work with the cam even with a short Cat5.
They only support USB1, maybe that's the issue?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
They only support USB1, maybe that's the issue?
I suspect so. Most newer camera are 2.0 or 3.0. Look for a USB 3.0 extender package.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I discourage it on Skype sessions. In my experience it makes the likelihood of a packet error much greater, and Skype's "crap-sensor" only tolerates a very few of those before it kicks your call over to their "bad" codec, which is very, very bad. Then you have to hang up and redial. Besides, it's an audio session -- we can do our jobs just fine without getting looked at.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
we can do our jobs just fine without getting looked at.
It's not my job that is the concern here, it's the director's job.
And they think they can't do their job without looking at their actor.

So, I would have a Skype connection for video feed, as well as Source Connect or ISDN for audio and LTC.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's not my job that is the concern here, it's the director's job.
And they think they can't do their job without looking at their actor.
As a fairly seasoned VO director, I do my job based on the noises they expel. In fact I generally don't look at 'em even when they're right across the glass from me, as their facial expressions and hand gesticulations are unwelcome distractions. But... different strokes. Hope they're paying extra.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If I know the actor (or trust them), I can direct just by voice. I've done plenty of national ISDN sessions that way, and POTS-with-local-record before that.

But if I don't know the actor, or they're not really an actor, it helps to be able to see their faces and upper bodies when you don't get the sound you need based on your directions. Then you can make suggestions, everything from 'gesture when you get to this line', to 'please pull your head back a little on this syllable'.

(If it's an announcer rather than an actor, pix isn't that helpful. They have their style, and know how to use the mic for it. But actors are trained to use their whole bodies, and how they do makes a difference even on v/o.)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
But if I don't know the actor, or they're not really an actor, it helps to be able to see their faces and upper bodies when you don't get the sound you need based on your directions. Then you can make suggestions, everything from 'gesture when you get to this line', to 'please pull your head back a little on this syllable'.
Good points.

Don't know what POTS is, other than it came before ISDN. Guessing either the P stands for Phone or the T stands for Telephone, but probably not both.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
My control room (my garage) is 30 feet from my studio (my house) connected with underground conduit and I want to set up a 2 way system. 10 feet either end, that's 50 feet apart. Using my Mac 12 core in the control room and an old MacBook Pro in the studio. Hoping to use my big 4K TV in the studio as one of the screens. USB, HDMI or Ethernet? Planning on running all 3 but would I need 2 lines of USB or can I pull this off with one cable?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Good points.

Don't know what POTS is, other than it came before ISDN. Guessing either the P stands for Phone or the T stands for Telephone, but probably not both.
POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wouldn't use it for VO but I've had requests to do this for ADR. I personally don't care about seeing the actor but some directors like "face to face" even if it's virtual. I run a Webcam going into a laptop that also has an Aja or Blackmagic capture device so we can send talent, picture, or both.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As a fairly seasoned VO director....
We're requested to do this for ADR sessions, especially for animation.
VO not so much.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
We're requested to do this for ADR sessions, especially for animation.
VO not so much.
Actors dubbing their own on-camera selves? Or language replacement?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Not overdub, just plain old ADR and original dialog.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not overdub, just plain old ADR and original dialog.
Not sure what you're saying exactly. But ADR, around here anyway, means replacing the production-sound version of your own voice. So it's an overdub of a sort.

Or at least it used to mean that. Now, with some people, it can mean anything that you cue with 3 beeps.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not sure what you're saying exactly. But ADR, around here anyway, means replacing the production-sound version of your own voice.
That's exactly what I mean by ADR.

So I am not sure why you asked what it was I was referring to?

I would say overdub or dubbing when it is language replacement.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Don't know why they call it automated dialogue replacement. Nothing automated about it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Don't know why they call it automated dialogue replacement. Nothing automated about it.
I think it was originally automatic. It's not that, either, for a lot of people.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I think the word automatic refers to the Greek meaning of "acting of itself".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search