The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATMOS Reverb help
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

ATMOS Reverb help

Hi all,

I would like to open a discussion on reverb tips, approaches and tricks when mixing in ATMOS. I'll add my findings...when I make them.

Atmos and reverb.

I'm trying to figure out the best way of using reverbs from my current mixing template in the 7.1.2 space.

Most verbs like Altiverb are 5.1 and when sent to the 7.1.2 bed bus are not pannable in hight etc. Would you say change these verbs to stereo, stick to the 5.1 and accept your not going to have the full functionality but perhaps less phase issues.

Also how are you all dealing with / finding verbs and phasing in the 7.1.2 to 5.1 fold downs, with your method.

Would love to hear how ya'll are approaching these new frontiers....

Thanks T
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just because it's Atmos it doesn't mean you *have* to have an Atmos reverb unit. A ton of mixers have been doing 5.1 and 7.1 mixes with stereo reverbs for decades and still do because it gives them more flexibility to design the space by having different reverbs across the front or back or even cross panning them and create interesting effects. 5.0 reverbs are very limiting in that regard.

Same idea applies to Atmos mixing. Sure the new "true" Atmos reverbs are interesting tools but at the same time they are what they are. One consistent room. And hard to deal with when you want to turn them returns into objects for example. This can be much easier and much more flexible with multiple stereo reverbs or combinations for 5.0, LCR and stereos as objects panned differently.

So as tip don't get wound up too much with these "true" Atmos reverbs. Not saying they are pointless (not at all actually) but my point being: just because it's Atmos you don't need Atmos verbs, on the contrary actually!

my thoughts about this...
Old 4 weeks ago
I think I never used 5.0 reverbs, just mono or stereo. To me it is easier like that to make more believable spaces. You have more control with panning and I always pan reverb with objects that are moving, with reverb following little wider. I almost never use reverb in surround except for background tracks if necessary or if you need to make some huge spaces or something like that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Just because it's Atmos it doesn't mean you *have* to have an Atmos reverb unit. A ton of mixers have been doing 5.1 and 7.1 mixes with stereo reverbs for decades and still do because it gives them more flexibility to design the space by having different reverbs across the front or back or even cross panning them and create interesting effects. 5.0 reverbs are very limiting in that regard.

Same idea applies to Atmos mixing. Sure the new "true" Atmos reverbs are interesting tools but at the same time they are what they are. One consistent room. And hard to deal with when you want to turn them returns into objects for example. This can be much easier and much more flexible with multiple stereo reverbs or combinations for 5.0, LCR and stereos as objects panned differently.

So as tip don't get wound up too much with these "true" Atmos reverbs. Not saying they are pointless (not at all actually) but my point being: just because it's Atmos you don't need Atmos verbs, on the contrary actually!

my thoughts about this...
This is great thanks so much.

One more quick q, what is and advantage to using an object to say just panning in a bed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Baylis View Post

One more quick q, what is and advantage to using an object to say just panning in a bed.
With an object in Atmos you can pan a sound to a single speaker, with divergence to taste. When panning within a bed you are panning to an array of speakers playing back the four surround channels (Side Left, Rear Left, Rear Right, Side Right).

So using an object can allow for more precise placement of a sound source. Other can chime in on if it's really useful for panning reverbs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Baylis View Post

First there's an essential difference: In the bed the surrounds are speaker arrays (incl. the overheads) and objects are point-sources anywhere. You can enlarge the "size" of an object but last time I used it increasing the size would always pull your signal into the room across the ceiling. Not sure if you can turn an object on the side walls into an array that doesn't spill onto the ceiling. Maybe they changed that. Some mixers don't use beds at all. Others don't use objects at all. It's really a creative decision.

Also when I wrote you can "pan" the returns easier with multiple "simpler" revers I didn't mean having your hand on the joysticks and using those like crazy (even though you could do that). I meant that you can place your reverb returns freely in the room. Making them more narrow, having different types in the front and back or center etc. etc.

With the "real" Atmos reverbs you can do that when you split the returns into single leg auxes but the reverb will basically be that one reverb in all the channels.

Using multiple ones give you more ways to easily design your spaces instead of messing around with the internal parameters of the Atmos reverb. Many mixers find using multiple "simpler" format reverbs more intuitive.

But again: The "real" Atmos reverbs definitely have their usage.

Just want to say they are not essential to mix in Atmos.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search