The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice needed for mixing 10,000+ lines of Dialogue
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Advice needed for mixing 10,000+ lines of Dialogue

Hi all - I work in games and often have 10,000+ lines of dialogue to mix and export separately. It takes me soo much time so I'd love to hear if you have any advice on my process.

Processing:
I start by editing and cleaning each file and then I'll run all tracks through a signal chain group bus, for example EQ - (sometimes saturation) - Gate - De Ess - EQ - Comp - Comp. I rarely have problems with consistency as it's all recorded in a studio. I set levels to around -24 to - 21 LUFS. I repeat this per VO artist.

Export:
Each line will have it's own labelled track for export where I'll leave my Cubase export automation plugin 'Meap' running all night. Each DAW project will only handle 300 or so tracks so this will take me multiple weeks to complete.

Question, would a Batch Processor work for this purpose? I was thinking of mixing in DAW and importing my VST presets into Wavelab for Batch. I've also heard Reaper has some great functions.

Also, I'd love to hear if you have recommendations for my mixing process. Is there anything that could enhance quality here?

Big thanks in advance!

Dan
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Well, there's Nuendo which has additional post-production features relative to Cubase, and you already know the software, so I would think that could be an option.

You could maybe (for example) set up key commands to take the selected event's duration and make it a cycle marker, then label the cycle marker, and then batch-export cycle markers with naming included. Or use the game-audio specific Nuendo features to export into WWISE if you're using that by chance, or use the renaming features in Nuendo to deal with naming conventions. Or just export (not "bounce") the selected events from the timeline with processing included (adjust naming convention as needed).

In either of the above cases you'd be able to leave a lot of edited events on a single timeline (or fewer than 300+ tracks), say one character per track, and possibly then keep it all in one project...

I don't really do this sort of stuff so... just some thoughts...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Yes I'd LOVE to get my hands on Nuendo also for its' Wwise integration, perhaps next project (if work purchases it) but for I now I have to use the tools I have. I've heard about these cycle markers before, I think the Cubase 9 up has them, thanks I'll look into that though I don't think they export with the same individual event/file names.

Does anyone Batch Process their vocal chain? Assuming you've edited before hand, my chain is really just subtle so I'm wondering what the down side of doing this is. Again, I'm only considering this because of the sheer quantity of files.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

You can definitely shave off some time using a batch processor or quick key editor for file naming and exporting.

As far a signal processing goes. You probably have to go through it line by line. Batch signal processing might work if you were the recording engineer, all of the VO was recorded on the same day, and with the same mic. Maybe. Unlikely that everything was recorded in 1 day.

10,000 lines is quite a work load. Are you doing this all yourself or do you have assistants?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezenears View Post
... I'll leave my Cubase export automation plugin 'Meap' running all night. Each DAW project will only handle 300 or so tracks so this will take me multiple weeks to complete.
Why 300 as a limit? I use Cubase (an older vers, but still) w/MEAP and have done a batch export with over 1k tracks at times.

Cheers.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
You can definitely shave off some time using a batch processor or quick key editor for file naming and exporting.

As far a signal processing goes. You probably have to go through it line by line. Batch signal processing might work if you were the recording engineer, all of the VO was recorded on the same day, and with the same mic. Maybe. Unlikely that everything was recorded in 1 day.

10,000 lines is quite a work load. Are you doing this all yourself or do you have assistants?
Yes it's huge, actually just found out there's 20k lines and I have a week deadline, I'm at a new studio and this is commentary for a sports game. I don't have an assistant but have a audio programmer that is kinda available.

Ok, I've just started batch converting with my signal chain in Wavelab and so far I think it's going to work. I know it's not ideal but thinking light processing could be ok.

Not sure, why people don't seem to do this for large file counts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Why 300 as a limit? I use Cubase (an older vers, but still) w/MEAP and have done a batch export with over 1k tracks at times.

Cheers.
Yeah good question, I find around 300 - 500 tracks and RAM starts getting sluggish. I also use C8.5 at work.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezenears View Post
Yeah good question, I find around 300 - 500 tracks and RAM starts getting sluggish.
Oh - same here, definitely. But if you are doing a MEAP batch export overnight, who cares? Yes, the process will take longer when you have that many more tracks, but if it finishes before you wake up....

Cheers.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Well, only that I usually edit each track so need to at least play them all.

But hey.. has this Forum slowed down in popularity?? It's been 7hrs and this Thread is still at the top of the page, I haven't visited for a while but it used to be bustling..

Last edited by eyezenears; 5 days ago at 03:17 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search