The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Infrastructure for a post facility...What am I missing? Noise Reduction & Restoration Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Infrastructure for a post facility...What am I missing?

Howdy,
I've started doing post work as a side project and it is going great. So great in fact that I really need to up my game and turn things from a side hustle into a proper facility.

I am by no means an audio newbie...been using Protools daily for 20 years in a professional capacity (Radio, music, live sound etc). Post however is new territory for me.

I've got the basics down, Protools HD rig, controller, Monitoring, good mics etc...

HUGE SFX/Foley Library
Izotope NR
A zillion mixing plugs
Vocalign
A simple, but effective backup/redundancy system.

I'm doing OK but I am sure there are some huge gaps in this arsenal.

What is missing? What Industry standard tools do I need to invest in?
Studio Connect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 6 days ago
Cappuccino machine...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
Cappuccino machine...
Ha! Actually that was the first thing I bought!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Howdy,

In addition to the cappuccino machine, if you don't already have the following, I'd look into getting:

Hardware:
Video playback card (the most commonly used ones are made by Blackmagic and AJA)
Sync HD (together with above will ensure frame accurate playback and scrub)
A decent monitor/TV/projector to play back video
Microphones that match what is commonly used in production (e.g. lavs, shotguns)

Software:
Sfx database software (e.g. SoundMiner/BaseHead)
Conforming software (e.g. EdiLoad/Titan/Conformalizer)

Plugins:
Loudness meter (e.g. Nugen VisLM but there are plenty of options)
True peak limiter (again plenty of options, and you might already have Avid's Pro Limiter)
Noise reduction (you already have RX, which is great for many things, but there are other plugins that have their use being either faster/less latency/tackle things differently, etc. From cheap to expensive, look at Brusfri, Audinamix IDC, Cedar DNS...)
Down-/upmixer (if you're planning on working in surround at least)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

What you go for now depends on what sort of market you are in or aspire to. If you want to work in commercials with agency folks the gear is way less important (above a certain level) than your location (near where the agency offices are), the look of your space (and assistants), your amenities and how blazingly fast you can work with other people in the room. If you are after long-form film post then you might want to increase the size of your mixing space, consider Atmos gear and forming relationships with local full-up dubstages and their staffs. If you want to get into the "immersive" world then you'd want to get both the full speaker array and the VR goggle thing together. If you are looking to work in somewhat lower budg productions, like indie movies, shorts, docs etc then hunkering down and NOT spending a lot of money might be considered, since those folks tend to be very budget challenged....

Last edited by philper; 6 days ago at 06:43 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Also: if you want to work in an ad agency environment, build a brand. Get yourself known for real people, or special effects, or warm human mixes, or something else that can be summarized in a couple of words. It should be something that can be pinned on you: a unique talent, approach, reputation; rather than something like decor or equipment (which anyone else with $$$ could replicate).

Also: food, along with coffee, can help. Decent-sized area with snacks. Fresh muffins, bagels, whatever when you've got an important client. For a long time, all the full post houses in my market (those that did pix as well as sound, plus one of the larger sound houses) had a staffed kitchen and hot lunches.

Give them a reason to walk a block to your studio, instead of walking to one of the other two near your city's agencies.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
Also: if you want to work in an ad agency environment, build a brand. Get yourself known for real people, or special effects, or warm human mixes, or something else that can be summarized in a couple of words. It should be something that can be pinned on you: a unique talent, approach, reputation; rather than something like decor or equipment (which anyone else with $$$ could replicate).

Also: food, along with coffee, can help. Decent-sized area with snacks. Fresh muffins, bagels, whatever when you've got an important client. For a long time, all the full post houses in my market (those that did pix as well as sound, plus one of the larger sound houses) had a staffed kitchen and hot lunches.

Give them a reason to walk a block to your studio, instead of walking to one of the other two near your city's agencies.
Re:brand-building, it's actually important in any of the sectors I mentioned. Schmooze, being visible, turning up at events and chatting people up and so on. IE self-promotion. Ad people in particular know a good pitch when they hear one, and appreciate it. People in all areas of the biz like to feel like you are "one of them".
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

This is very helpful guys, thank you! What about source-connect? Is that a must?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'd definitely get a Source Connect account and install the demo and set it up for when you need it. You don't want to be scrambling around to get it going in short notice.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

You need Clients and you need to be Unique.
You can buy everything else.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
You need Clients and you need to be Unique.
You can buy everything else.
You cannot win a "hardware war", there are players out there with far deeper pockets than you can imagine. The clients have to want to work with YOU, where ever you are and whatever you use.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search