The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with sync Nitris Dx with PTHD. What am I missing? DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 
mvtto's Avatar
 

Help with sync Nitris Dx with PTHD. What am I missing?

Hey Folks-

Brief intro- I'm in audio post and over the past few years I've been thoroughly unsuccessful in getting a functional video peripheral working. I've had the blackmagic ultrastudio mini and aja t tap.

I finally picked up a Nitris Dx and got the proper cabling to connect it to my imac pro. First external video card I've ever used that doesn't disconnect every 10 minutes and require a full restart to get working again.

But here's the issue: every 10-30 seconds it just stops stops playing the video and hangs on a still frame. I play again, same thing. Then eventually I'll get an error message regarding the sync.

I need to figure out a way to ensure sync. From what I've gathered I need both positional reference (Timecode?) and sync reference (Wordclock/Blackburst/Trilevel?) (Am I mixing those up?). So my thought was to get a MOTU MTP and convert Pro Tools' internal MTC to LTC, and send that out to the Nitris DX's LTC in. Is that enough to resolve the stopped frame issue? I wouldn't be devastated if I still wound up with a <1 frame picture drift.

PLEASE STOP ME HERE IF I'M WRONG ABOUT ANY OF THAT INFO

Is there any way of converting the wordclock output of my UA Apollo x6 to a video sync signal?

Or can I get a little black magic sync generator box send that ref out to the MOTU MTP's Video ref in along with the Nitris DX Ref In? Will doing that magically "resolve" the MTC/LTC?

Or is the only way to actually achieve a consistent sync to purchase a Sync HD or other masterclock with video ref in/out?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvtto View Post

Or is the only way to actually achieve a consistent sync to purchase a Sync HD or other masterclock with video ref in/out?
Yes but you need to put a boolean "AND" between "purchase a SYNC HD" and "tri-level clock" as well.

It's the only way to gen-lock picture and sound. Otherwise your maximum sync is plus/minus 1 frame and drift over time.

Of course you also need a PT HD card (HDn or HDX) to connect the SYNC HD.

No need for MTC or LTC that's just if you have to lock positional reference to an external LTC source.

You only need to gen lock the video hardware and audio hardware to a common clock which in your case has to be tri-level sync. Black burst will only with work with SD PAL/NTSC video.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Yes but you need to put a boolean "AND" between "purchase a SYNC HD" and "tri-level clock" as well.

It's the only way to gen-lock picture and sound. Otherwise your maximum sync is plus/minus 1 frame and drift over time.

Of course you also need a PT HD card (HDn or HDX) to connect the SYNC HD.

No need for MTC or LTC that's just if you have to lock positional reference to an external LTC source.

You only need to gen lock the video hardware and audio hardware to a common clock which in your case has to be tri-level sync. Black burst will only with work with SD PAL/NTSC video.
I know that from a technical POV you are absolutely right.

But in practice we don't have any problems syncing our SyncIOs to SD Black Burst.

That leads me to the question how other multi-room facilities deal with this.
For us, as we are constantly changing frame rates and projects it is not a very viable option to constantly change the video reference for each room and each project.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I know that from a technical POV you are absolutely right.

But in practice we don't have any problems syncing our SyncIOs to SD Black Burst.

That leads me to the question how other multi-room facilities deal with this.
For us, as we are constantly changing frame rates and projects it is not a very viable option to constantly change the video reference for each room and each project.
How are you edge-aligning 24fps video to a 25fps clock (PAL Black Burst) for example.

And a video card that runs 1080P 24fps can not be clocked by SD Black burst. At least not the ones I know.

How do you do that?
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

To the OP:

How are you using Nitris DX with PT anyway? I thought that hardware is only for MediaComposer, NewCutter or Symphony?
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
To the OP:

How are you using Nitris DX with PT anyway? I thought that hardware is only for MediaComposer, NewCutter or Symphony?
I was wondering about that too. Media Composer using a Nitris DX and running as a satellite makes sense to me. A Nitris DX as a video card for a PT rig doesn't make any sense to me but maybe there is something I am missing?

Alistair
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

We run a multi room facility. Our facility generates house sync in NTSC, PAL and HD. Each room has a TLS router panel and we choose what we receive.

Randall


Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I know that from a technical POV you are absolutely right.

But in practice we don't have any problems syncing our SyncIOs to SD Black Burst.

That leads me to the question how other multi-room facilities deal with this.
For us, as we are constantly changing frame rates and projects it is not a very viable option to constantly change the video reference for each room and each project.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Jamie Mac's Avatar
Nitris dx is a qualified Pro Tools video peripheral. So it should work.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
EveningBirdSong / Music For Picture
4
carlheinz / So much gear, so little time
5
Mite / So much gear, so little time
6
Improv / So much gear, so little time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump