The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are you all renewing your PT licenses? DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Are you all renewing your PT licenses?

So I’m on v 2018 ultimate and my subscription expires in 3 days...(so I’ll be left w my current version but won’t be able to update the software)

I was on PT11 for about 3 years without updating software version or OSX - once it works, I leave it alone!

I decided to go to 12 last year (and now 2018) but everything works fine and dandy so should I leave it alone or pay the $400 to renew my ability to keep getting updates?

Curious what you all are doing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

PT is a joke.

Cubase
Logic
Cassette Tape

Either way. Save the $400.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktheory View Post
So I’m on v 2018 ultimate and my subscription expires in 3 days...(so I’ll be left w my current version but won’t be able to update the software)

I was on PT11 for about 3 years without updating software version or OSX - once it works, I leave it alone!

I decided to go to 12 last year (and now 2018) but everything works fine and dandy so should I leave it alone or pay the $400 to renew my ability to keep getting updates?

Personally, I’m renewing and keeping up to date. The improvements (as small as they may seem,) and bits of extra stability are important to us in post.

And to be honest, $400 isn’t a huge business expense when compared to many sound libraries or the like.

Whether Pro Tools is a joke or not- to each their own. But it’s what we got.
Old 1 week ago
Well its up to your habits and actual needs. For three years of not upgrading you'll save $1200 (or $960 if bought on sales). The reinstatement cost $1000 or $800 if you are patient to wait for occasions.
I know many professionals not paying each year the upgrade fee and preferring a single penalty reinstatement once they need it.
I personally pay once a year $320 with hate, de facto accepting the reality of paying to Avid for existing bug fixes. I would stop pay it if I feel 100% confidence with some version but it still didn't happen since the AVE was implemented in PT.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

FWIW the next version, which should come out before the end of March, raises the voice count of Ultimate software (including HD Native) from 256 to 384 with the possibility to buy or rent "voice packs" to up the voice count further. And each HDX card will have 384 voices, for a total of 1152 on HDX3.
So, it might be worth it to stick it out for one more year?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
PT is a joke.

Cubase
Logic
Cassette Tape

Either way. Save the $400.
Please go away, and let the adults answer the question.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes.

I don't care about the voice debate. I have my doubts about it as a business model, but I'm not on the Avid board of directors.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

If you're relying on the bundled plugins and don't have perpetual licenses for them, that could be another reason to stick with the plan.

I work in a larger organization, and we tend to just stick with perpetual licenses for both PT (without upgrade plan), as when a new Pro Tools upgrade is available, there are so many more pieces to the puzzle to take into account: Is an OS upgrade required? If so, will that OS version be compatible with other applications/infrastructure (e.g. ISIS/NEXIS/Interplay) or do we need to upgrade other client software as well? Will that require downtime? If so, how long? Etc....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Not paying the yearly fee will only save you money if you hold off for at least 4 years. If you re-instantiate before that you will actually pay more (an additional 1000$ or whatever it currently is) than doing it yearly.
Old 1 week ago
I am a big fan of this new model for several reason:

1. You can budget for it. Before, it was a random amount at a random interval to upgrade. Which on 1 systems isn't a huge deal... but scale to 20 systems... and a random hit of $1000 to upgrade... times 20... every... 2-ish years?.. is tough to plan for.

2. Updates are more frequent and don't seem "rushed" like the old days. There was a lot of "we have to ship PT 8 before the end of the quarter, even if it isn't ready and full of bugs" I don't shy away from the latest update now, because I know it wasn't financially motivated.

3. It comes with access to a bunch of plugins now... which only some are worth it... and if you've been using PT for a while you probably had them anyway.... but nice to have.

4. It's $400 to keep your main tool updated and running well. It's yearly maintenance.
Old 1 week ago
In any "analog" studio with a console, $400 would be your annual bill for bulbs and fuses... Definitely worth it. It's called "maintenance".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Sure thing, kitten. Hanging out with lemmings is always drag.

Hey, since I did have some reasonable (albeit quirky) input, you could thank me and or maybe just give Avid another $400 in my honor. Funny, I'm not mad at Avid, they're just trying to make a living. I'm more disappointed in you "adults" furthering this nonsense. I know a lot of broke young musicians that still believe you need PT to make music.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
Sure thing, kitten. Hanging out with lemmings is always drag.

Hey, since I did have some reasonable (albeit quirky) input, you could thank me and or maybe just give Avid another $400 in my honor. Funny, I'm not mad at Avid, they're just trying to make a living. I'm more disappointed in you "adults" furthering this nonsense. I know a lot of broke young musicians that still believe you need PT to make music.
That's nice, "Kitten"

But this is the post production forum.

That's like going to a Formula 1 racers forum, and telling the drivers to buy a Honda to race on the Formula 1.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's nice, "Kitten"

But this is the post production forum.

That's like going to a Formula 1 racers forum, and telling the drivers to buy a Honda to race on the Formula 1.
There is a Honda F1 team. Just saying...

Honda F1
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The biggest downside I've heard so far to keeping up with versions is the OS thing, esp re 3rd party apps and plugs. With Windows it isn't much of a deal, but it's easy to get yourself into a lot of extra work re: Apple OS changes. I've always kind of sweated the "pick your moment" thing for upgrades, re jobs in progress or ones that are only recently "dead".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
This might surprise you, but there are a bunch of respected pros ignoring PT's subscription model...

I download Nuendo updates for free, and buy the new version upgrades for a few hundred bucks when they come out.

I chose N over PT, after watching their expert demo guys and running both for about a year, because it let me do my projects faster. YMMV.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
This might surprise you, but there are a bunch of respected pros ignoring PT's subscription model...

I download Nuendo updates for free, and buy the new version upgrades for a few hundred bucks when they come out.

I chose N over PT, after watching their expert demo guys and running both for about a year, because it let me do my projects faster. YMMV.
Yes, but they don't answer a question with the response a 12 year old hobbyist would give like "Salty James".
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I ended up calling an engineer over at a studio I do most of my work for asking his thoughts...

He said that all the stages will be updating to something I'll be required to have within the next 3 years...so if I pay $400 a year x 3 years I end up at $1200 - vs the $1k it would cost to reinstate the license...I'm renewing - 3 years of Revibe for $200 is worth the cost alone.

I also agree that there are some superior DAWs out there - Nuendo certainly being one of them - but since my delivery requirements for the past 10 years have been exclusively pro tools it's just a dream to think I'll be able to switch.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
...I'm renewing - 3 years of Revibe for $200 is worth the cost alone.

I also agree that there are some superior DAWs out there - Nuendo certainly being one of them - but since my delivery requirements for the past 10 years have been exclusively pro tools it's just a dream to think I'll be able to switch.
I think you nailed it here. Yes, there’s better features in some software, but, again, it’s what we got.

2 points to think of:
1. The grass is always greener. Go over to the nuendo forums... they complain and lust for a few pro tools features, just like we do theirs.
2. I’m guessing the skill of the folks on this page comes from the person, NOT the tools. We all have our preferences, or things we’re familiar with. But it’s the ear, the sound library, the ability to communicate with the director; this is what matters.

I’m happy for anybody has something that works. I also lament that software isn’t where we like.

I think that we all need to spend more time supporting and improving one another, making all of us better at what we do.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Here's one MAJOR issue to consider. Mac is coming out with a new Modular Mac Pro. Not sure what chip they will use, either what they have now or most probably something completely new. If it's a completely new architecture, then Avid will have to play catch up. There will be bugs and other issues what will take who knows how long to address. What 2018 Ultimate offers as far as features and functionality. You're set for a very long time. Keep in mind the cross grade into the 64bit world was a huge game changer with PT 11 and clip gain alone was worth the price of admission. 2018 with track freeze was another huge improvement with the massive plug count we have now. Unless 2019 or 2020 has something ridiculous like 1024 voices with just an HDN or one card and a buffer max of 16,,384 or even 32,768, I don't see with worth it just yet. Several times a year there are %20 off the upgrade of $999. I'm personally waiting to see how this new Mac Pro works out. But you have a few days and the new Mac Pro is later on this year.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I love pro tools ultimate, i recently moved my micro budget shop to 5.1 and ultimate running native was a major reason my costs didn't explode. On the voice increase, that will be nice, but with Spanner most of the channels don't even count as voices. At least in California , protools is helping me to be relevant in a major market. I do have Cubase and Nuendo, which are nice for what they do, but for crunch time I count on ultimate. I would say for a lot of streamers that the 30$ subscription is a great deal when you need it if you don't want to keep the ultimate sub going.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

To the OP, I'm renewing. Without question. Three years would be a long time out in the cold...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
To amplify what Postprosound said:

PT and Nuendo are constantly playing catch-up with each other. Any unique feature you find in one, will appear in the other within a couple of revs.

I made my choice because at the time, Nuendo's then-unique features (total macro and shortcut freedom, faster-than-realtime rendering with full effects, built-in functionality similar to VocAlign, editable +/- gain curves on each clip along with the editable automation curves...) worked well for me. But that was a long time ago. I imagine PT has all of those now.

Meanwhile, things PT had (like VCA-functionality grouping and masters, along with actual signal routing to masters) took a while to get to N land.

Ultimately you make a choice, based on features and what your environment and workflow need (costs are pretty close to each other, when you consider equivalent rigs), and go with it. Then you learn how to do the best and fastest work on the DAW you've chosen.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I have just switched from Nuendo to PT (after over a decade on Nuendo and some good years on Fairlight Fame/Amek before that) for most of my productions and will be renewing my support plan regularly. The quality issues with the Nuendo 7 (vca) and 8 (offline process, rx integration, video engine, gui speed, eucon integration, vocalign, speed of the media bay with larger and network storage databases....) releases have been too hard to bear for me.

It is true that PT is more expensive and AVID is a relatively slow and greedy monster. Price differences become even bigger if you count the 3rd party tools that you need if you want to be able to do adr, timestretching, reconform etc.) but how does the cheaper price of Nuendo help me if the amount of what I would consider very serious bugs (for me) does increase with every release?

I guess you can see it from a different angle as well. I really like that around audio post in PT there is a healty 3rd party market (small companies like SynchroArts, Soundsinsync, Cargo cult, NonLethalApplications and SoundRadix but also iZotope with RX) that help solving problems in audio post. You can be sure that these tools will work on mac and pt, while you can only hope that something useful is available for Nuendo, especially if you want to rely on PC. It might be annoying, but AVID are offering the platform for their business just as they are offering the platform for our business and since Nuendo (their only real competitor from my point of view) is departing into the game audio market AVID have almost built a monopoly around PT. Maybe Steinberg get their act together one day or maybe Pyramix or DaVinci will some day be an alternative.

Until then there is no real way around the annual PT fee.

Fortunately AVID has gotten back onto the track of a stream of rather solid releases with well thought out features, so the fee is not as bad as it was when it was introduced and all you woud get was literally a new splash screen.

But since Nuendo has become more of a problem than a problem solver for me with recent releases I have decided that I must stop to try and swim against the tide. I kind of hate to say it because I have mixed so many hours of tv and streaming shows with it, but the current state of Nuendo is not for me anymore.

The good thing is that after 3 months with the (kind of) new software I can say that this feels more like a pilot with a new plane. I can still fly this thing, almost 2 decades of experience do not get useless just because you change the DAW.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Just a note: I've been running Nuendo on the Mac platform since 2005. It's stable and fast. I don't use the Media Bay, because my libraries are in SoundMiner/Mac. As always, YMMV.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
Yes.

I don't care about the voice debate. I have my doubts about it as a business model, but I'm not on the Avid board of directors.
Of course, voice count isn't an issue for everybody. But my point was that if you have Ultimate, and are planning on staying put for a few years, why not pay for one more year and stay put on a version with a fairly large horsepower increase.

The voice count increase will be helpful for me on on-site theme park installs with large voice counts that require Dante connectivity, as I don't have a DigiLink-enabled hardware box with Dante. Being able to use a laptop with DVS and no other hardware and access more than 256 voices will be a great improvement for my workflow.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Absolutely. A small price to pay for support and updates for the software my entire business is based around.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

If Logic X could properly open OMF and AAF files from Premier I could live without PT, but it can't, so I have to use PT to mix for picture.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 View Post
If Logic X could properly open OMF and AAF files from Premier I could live without PT, but it can't, so I have to use PT to mix for picture.
Have you've tried Reaper?

that was PT ending for me...

I'm boycotting all subscription based software btw...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I have not, but I shall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
Have you've tried Reaper?

that was PT ending for me...

I'm boycotting all subscription based software btw...

Last edited by ELI-173; 4 days ago at 05:20 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search