The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are you all renewing your PT licenses? DAW Software
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver.Lucas View Post
I have just switched from Nuendo to PT (after over a decade on Nuendo and some good years on Fairlight Fame/Amek before that) for most of my productions and will be renewing my support plan regularly. The quality issues with the Nuendo 7 (vca) and 8 (offline process, rx integration, video engine, gui speed, eucon integration, vocalign, speed of the media bay with larger and network storage databases....) releases have been too hard to bear for me.

It is true that PT is more expensive and AVID is a relatively slow and greedy monster. Price differences become even bigger if you count the 3rd party tools that you need if you want to be able to do adr, timestretching, reconform etc.) but how does the cheaper price of Nuendo help me if the amount of what I would consider very serious bugs (for me) does increase with every release?

I guess you can see it from a different angle as well. I really like that around audio post in PT there is a healty 3rd party market (small companies like SynchroArts, Soundsinsync, Cargo cult, NonLethalApplications and SoundRadix but also iZotope with RX) that help solving problems in audio post. You can be sure that these tools will work on mac and pt, while you can only hope that something useful is available for Nuendo, especially if you want to rely on PC. It might be annoying, but AVID are offering the platform for their business just as they are offering the platform for our business and since Nuendo (their only real competitor from my point of view) is departing into the game audio market AVID have almost built a monopoly around PT. Maybe Steinberg get their act together one day or maybe Pyramix or DaVinci will some day be an alternative.

Until then there is no real way around the annual PT fee.

Fortunately AVID has gotten back onto the track of a stream of rather solid releases with well thought out features, so the fee is not as bad as it was when it was introduced and all you woud get was literally a new splash screen.

But since Nuendo has become more of a problem than a problem solver for me with recent releases I have decided that I must stop to try and swim against the tide. I kind of hate to say it because I have mixed so many hours of tv and streaming shows with it, but the current state of Nuendo is not for me anymore.

The good thing is that after 3 months with the (kind of) new software I can say that this feels more like a pilot with a new plane. I can still fly this thing, almost 2 decades of experience do not get useless just because you change the DAW.
Very interesting perspective Oliver. It's not often that you hear around these circles that people also have problems with Nuendo too. Everything always seems to be close to perfect in Steinberg-land if you listen to the users.

Also, what people never seem to understand is that -exactly as you said - Avid is providing a platform with PT to which you can add tools as needed. Yes, that means buying stuff, but I guess it's the healthier and stable environment for small companies providing such tools since they don't have to fear that the next version of PT is providing the same functionality than the tool their business model is relying on.
Avid is very open about this strategy. So if you want to have a product that you don't have to add anything and that provides all functionality out of the box PT is simply the wrong choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 View Post
If Logic X could properly open OMF and AAF files ...
You know about AATranslator? It advertises Premiere Pro > Logic and > Reaper.

They don't have a demo, but will convert a sample session from your own workflow on request, to let you shake it down.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
You know about AATranslator? It advertises Premiere Pro > Logic and > Reaper.

They don't have a demo, but will convert a sample session from your own workflow on request, to let you shake it down.
Jay, you may have just improved my life. Thank you, will investigate this week!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Of course for a business, the subscription model actually kinda makes sense.
As that cost is 100% deductible each year, as opposed to writing off a purchase over several years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
As that cost is 100% deductible each year, as opposed to writing off a purchase over several years.
If you're depreciating software (or even most equipment) you might want to take another look at your tax strategy. Section 179 has been around for a long time, and the new tax act has an additional provision for this:
New Capital Expense Tax Rules for 2018

...assuming you're in the US. Other countries may have different rules.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
If you're depreciating software (or even most equipment) you might want to take another look at your tax strategy. Section 179 has been around for a long time, and the new tax act has an additional provision for this:
New Capital Expense Tax Rules for 2018

...assuming you're in the US. Other countries may have different rules.

If I read it correctly, it also says that the bonus depreciation will start to decline starting in 2022.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 View Post
Jay, you may have just improved my life. Thank you, will investigate this week!
The AAT guys are very responsive, and have run tests and trouble-shot conversions of all sorts for me, even for very obscure programs. Definitely worth contacting them. AAT has helped me with super-gnarly OMFs and AAFs from picture edit systems that ProTools would not deal with at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver.Lucas View Post
...The quality issues with the Nuendo 7 (vca) and 8 (offline process, rx integration, video engine, gui speed, eucon integration, vocalign, speed of the media bay with larger and network storage databases....) releases have been too hard to bear for me...
Not many mixers have the same depth of experience that you have on both DAWs. Thanks for this post. But it's a little depressing reading this, because I always assumed that switching to Nuendo would be great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
...it also says that the bonus depreciation will start to decline starting in 2022.
I haven't heard anything about Section 179 going away, which is in addition to the bonus depreciation. For a small business, 179 can be a life-saver.

I Am Not An Accountant. I hired a good one who knows our business the same year I build the downtown studio. He and his successors have been with me my whole career... giving tax strategies, advising me on financing options, and winning the occasional audit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search