The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix tip for Voice with Background music
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear

Mix tip for Voice with Background music

Hi. I'm new member. Pleased meet you guys.

I have a question about recoding "voice" like for radio , voice message or voice over with movie.
I did comp, eq, deesser, and just a little room reverb to my voice. so then I add Background music with it.
I feel not matched well of these. Could someone teach me tips of it please? What do you do to BGM? and What do you do total eq and comp etc.
Thank you.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueink View Post
Hi. I'm new member. Pleased meet you guys.

I have a question about recoding "voice" like for radio , voice message or voice over with movie.
I did comp, eq, deesser, and just a little room reverb to my voice. so then I add Background music with it.
I feel not matched well of these. Could someone teach me tips of it please? What do you do to BGM? and What do you do total eq and comp etc.
Thank you.
Why doesn’t it match?

I EQ to solve problems if any, apply a high pass filter for low end I don’t need. Then into a de-esser only when needed, then into a compressor on the VO bus, just to shave off the peaks or to slam it a bit more, depending on what I’m doing.

In a busy mix I like to use the Waves VEQ-3 on a voice lately and give it a little push around 2,4 KHz, which makes it cut through the music a little better.

Sometimes I use a Maag EQ to ADD some sparkle or a Pultec like EQ, but not always.

There’s people that EQ the music to make more room for the VO (with sidechaining you can even do that dynamically), but I don’t usually.

You could try to cut the music a bit somewhere in the 500-1000 Hz region and/or in the 2000/4000 area.

Adding reverb I only do for an effect, most VO’s I do are bone dry.
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear

Dear pethenis. Thank you for your help.

I did many things to the voice sound but I wasn't sure what should I did to the music. the music from CD
so it's already maded and perfect that's why it doen't fit well to my voice that is "not matched well " I guess.
I will try to your advice to it. Thank you.

About reverb. I thoguht I should put just a tiny bit room or ambience reverb to my voice always.
I will try your way. I appreciate.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear
Reverb makes things farther away, unless it's there for a specific effect (like 'in my head' or 'voice of God').

There are a lot of free tutorials on voice-over recording and processing on my website. It's also covered in depth in my audio post book, with lots of specific recipes.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Note on reverb:

Although I keep my VO dry most of the time, I know a few mixers who add a slight bit of reverb to a VO to have it a little more natural sounding.

So you're not necessarily doing anything wrong with adding reverb.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear
Depends on whether the v/o is in the characters' world, or in limbo talking to us. In the characters' world -- particularly if it's a character we're meeting on-screen -- very is appropriate. Just so that it matched the production dialog.

In limbo (like for an ad, or if an on-camera version would be in front of a black drape or cyc)? Consider: the spokesperson is supposed to be talking to our world. Just a clean voice out of the speaker will automatically take on the listening room's acoustics. More verb would tend to separate the spokesperson from our reality.

YMMV.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Maniac
If the voice is not sitting well against the music or vice versa, the first question I would ask is whether it's the right music (tempo, arrangement, mood to match the message), or whether it's the right VO performance (pacing, pitch, mood, etc.). If either of these are wrong for the desired result, EQ, compression, or reverb are never really going to make it right.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear
+1 Scott.

Except in some cases, you can make voice and music play together better by offsetting the music... sometimes as little as 1/4 frame ("one perf"). The idea is that the music peaks and voice peaks shouldn't be simultaneous.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
+1 Scott.

Except in some cases, you can make voice and music play together better by offsetting the music... sometimes as little as 1/4 frame ("one perf"). The idea is that the music peaks and voice peaks shouldn't be simultaneous.
Of course, I agree completely that there are many things that can make them work better together. And I do often nudge one against the other in 1/4 frame increments, especially to get a consonant off of a downbeat. But I'll always look at whether it's the right music and/or the right vocal performance for what I am trying to achieve.
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Food for thought...

I record a lot of voice overs and mix to pre-recorded music beds.

If the music bed is busy, I will sometimes use a parametric eq to "bump up" my voice a db or so from about 200hz - 400hz and subtract a db or so from the same range on the bed.

It makes my voice "sit" a bit better against the music, adding a touch of "meat and clarity" to my voice.

I've never, in years, had anyone say...."hmmm...sounds like you....."

YMMV
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Blueink, there isn't a formula for what you're trying to accomplish. As you gain experience, you'll find that what you're hearing in your head and what you're hearing from your monitors will converge. Fitting music to established voice is unfortunately how things usually work, but if you have the luxury of recording voice to established music, that will typically give you much better results. And sometimes a particular music track and a particular voice (or voice performance) simply don't belong together. Don't be afraid to be really aggressive with EQ, volume curves, compression and limiting if it makes things sound "right". You may find that some voices have such broad sibilances that adjusting your de-esser (or de-essers) to address them properly takes all the life out of a voice. You can draw in some or all of your de-essing with volume dips in this case. On average, your listeners won't be listening to your spoken word program at the same volume that they do a song, so mixing at the appropriate monitoring level will ensure your dynamics and EQ decisions are valid. Have fun playing with your toys.
Old 20th April 2019
Here for the gear

Dear Everyone
Thank you very much for all of your support.
I really appriciate.
And I am very sorry to late reply.
I studied many this place. I feel like I can better voice over mix now.
Thank you very much again.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Addict

Also note, the type of microphone and preamp has a HUGE affect. Recording on a Neumann U-87 through an Avalon VT-737sp Class A Mono Tube Channel Strip is going to have the biggest impact vs a Shure SM58 through a basic $300 micpr
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search