The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crunchy mid range dialog on Star Trek Discovery
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Crunchy mid range dialog on Star Trek Discovery

Does anyone know what causes this lovely crunchy mid range dialog sound? It's most obvious on male dialog.

Is it a creative choice, does it aid intelligibility or is it a side effect of noise reduction? It sounds like there;s quite some noise reduction going on.

I could also imagine the mic could contribute to the sound but the thing is that it's not very subtle. It sounds almost like multiband saturation which would seem an unlike choice.

I would love to hear some thoughts.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
There are some other problems with ST Discovery like unintelligible dialogs when listen to in stereo. Sound effects that sound like "sound effects" and buried dialogs in certain scenes especially when one actor is in the foreground and the other behind them. Not sure what the reason is but they are spending a great deal of money on SFX too bad they are not paying that much attention to the audio.

I too have wondered about the "gravely" sounding dialog.

I guess all these shows must be mixed in surround but I wonder how many people actually listen in surround. I just calibrated my surround system with my trusty SPL meter so I know my levels are correct. It seems like either the monitoring systems they are using are not accurate or sized to the "normal" listening room size or the mixer has some problems with their hearing (unlikely). Shows like NCIS Los Angeles seem to have perfect audio with great mixing on the dialog and sound effects. Not sure what is going on.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
iluvcapra's Avatar
They mix ST:D at Warner Bros. don’t they?

I wonder if this isn’t having to do with CBS All Access? But if NCIS sounds fine, maybe not?
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
I've been watching the show. And I'm not hearing what you're describing.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I've been watching the show. And I'm not hearing what you're describing.
On TV or CBS All Access?
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
On TV or CBS All Access?
CBS all access
Old 1 week ago
  #7
I watched two Episodes from the first season yesterday afternoon (episodes 7 & 8). I listened on both my surround setup and my stereo setup (and NOT at the same time). What ever the mix engineers are monitoring on is either not calibrated correctly or they are not paying that much attention to the audio mix. Other shows on CBS All Access are fine. One that is almost letter perfect is NCIS Los Angles which comes through perfectly. Not sure what the problem is but they should get it fixed and soon. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
dr.sound's Avatar
 

BTW: On NCIS LA Chris Haire is the Dialog Re-Recording Mixer who won multiple Emmy's on all the Star Trek series in the 80's and 90's. He's a great mixer !
He has mixed al the NCIS LA . Wilson Dwyer is the Sound Supervisor who also worked on the Star Trek series in the 80's and 90's.
He is also an amazingly talented guy!
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Yes, Star Trek (TOS) had a number of social firsts for television; I would look up the history of the show - pretty interesting.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Star Trek was always about social justice from day one.

I love this new series.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Gear Nut
 
cLoudBase's Avatar
 

No problems here, very enjoyable. (Netflix)
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

I definitely hear that in my studio. It sounds fine on my tv at home.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
BTW: On NCIS LA Chris Haire is the Dialog Re-Recording Mixer who won multiple Emmy's on all the Star Trek series in the 80's and 90's. He's a great mixer !
He has mixed al the NCIS LA . Wilson Dwyer is the Sound Supervisor who also worked on the Star Trek series in the 80's and 90's.
He is also an amazingly talented guy!
Is it mixed in the same studio as Star Trek? If so then the mixers of Star Trek have some problems with what they are doing or listening to.

At times the dialog almost seems garbled on Star Trek where on NCIS Los Angles it seems clear and sounds good in surround and in stereo. Something is not right if they are indeed mixing in the same studio(s).
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Head
 

I don't hear anything weird. I doubt the majority of the viewing public would notice.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdmcc View Post
I don't hear anything weird. I doubt the majority of the viewing public would notice.
Well I do and I am part of the "public" but I am also a mastering engineer so I hear things most people gloss over. FWIW
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

I just started to watch season 2, and I can hear some noisy lavs. Not sure if that's what you mean.


Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd atema View Post
Does anyone know what causes this lovely crunchy mid range dialog sound? It's most obvious on male dialog.

Is it a creative choice, does it aid intelligibility or is it a side effect of noise reduction? It sounds like there;s quite some noise reduction going on.

I could also imagine the mic could contribute to the sound but the thing is that it's not very subtle. It sounds almost like multiband saturation which would seem an unlike choice.

I would love to hear some thoughts.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Because like a lot of the media, the reviewers are bought and paid for. Also the reviewers are in lockstep with the media's agenda for fear of being ostracized. So when they're force fed garbage, they give it high reviews.

There is a huge trend on Rotten Tomatoes where critics give high reviews and the public is the opposite and vice versa. Modern day media journalists are useless. They should just learn to code or something.
And I feel the exact opposite.
Stopped watching it after a couple of episodes.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuG View Post
I just started to watch season 2, and I can hear some noisy lavs. Not sure if that's what you mean.
No the dialog is "crunchy" like a bad MP3 and the dialog gets lost especially when the characters are talking from farther back in the room. It is like they used a pole boom over the main character and forgot that others were speaking. Again shows like NCIS Los Angles seem to be better mixed and the dialog is never "crunchy" and you can hear all the dialog with a good live spacial feeling. The same for the Orville. I personally think either their monitoring system needs some calibration/setup or they are using some "effect" that is making everything sound crunchy. FWIW

FWIW I am not a sound mixer but I do have good ears.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Thomas, judging from the other responses it really seems like something is just plain wrong when you're getting the show on your end. I have a hard time believing that the issues you mention are as bad as you say they are and that some of the other experienced engineers here hear no problems. That just doesn't compute to me.

If it was something that was wrong with the monitoring of the re-recording engineers' rooms then I'm sure we'd all hear the problems.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Thomas, judging from the other responses it really seems like something is just plain wrong when you're getting the show on your end. I have a hard time believing that the issues you mention are as bad as you say they are and that some of the other experienced engineers here hear no problems. That just doesn't compute to me.

If it was something that was wrong with the monitoring of the re-recording engineers' rooms then I'm sure we'd all hear the problems.
Not knowing what others are using it is hard to say!
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
dr.sound's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Is it mixed in the same studio as Star Trek? If so then the mixers of Star Trek have some problems with what they are doing or listening to.

At times the dialog almost seems garbled on Star Trek where on NCIS Los Angles it seems clear and sounds good in surround and in stereo. Something is not right if they are indeed mixing in the same studio(s).
No, two different Studios, two different crews.
Old 4 days ago
  #21
I just listened to two more episodes. Season 1 episodes 8 & 9. I have a Dorrough Loudness Meter on my TV and I noticed that in some places the dialog goes from -20 dBFS to 0 dBFS in one second with the same person talking without moving or raising their voice. I also noticed on episode 8 a really poorly done ADR at about 18 minutes in. The ambience goes away and someone just pasted in the dialog. Who is responsible for final QC on a show such as this? The dialog is really buried in spots and gravely to boot. I am not nit picking but just trying to figure out how something like this gets approved and what they are listening on. Do they just run out of time or is no one listening to the final mix? I am streaming it off my cable provider. I am listening on a mastering grade monitor system and/or a high end consumer 5.1 surround system. Just curious since anything I do gets scrutinized and this is on national TV. Again shows like NCIS and NCIS Los Angles sound GREAT on my system. Thanks in advance!
Old 4 days ago
  #22
Gear Head
 

I took a needle drop on this show out of curiosity. Definitely a mid-focused dialogue mix with some noise reduction going on. But nothing out of the ordinary in my opinion. Probably sounds killer on the average TV.

A while back I worked in QC at one of the major networks. Unless things have changed in the last 10 years. I assure you many people are listening to it. The majority of the time, this is how they either want it or are satisfied delivering it.

I can't speak to what happens in the broadcast chain and to whatever cable box it finally hits.
Old 3 days ago
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicBartolini View Post
I took a needle drop on this show out of curiosity. Definitely a mid-focused dialogue mix with some noise reduction going on. But nothing out of the ordinary in my opinion. Probably sounds killer on the average TV.

A while back I worked in QC at one of the major networks. Unless things have changed in the last 10 years. I assure you many people are listening to it. The majority of the time, this is how they either want it or are satisfied delivering it.

I can't speak to what happens in the broadcast chain and to whatever cable box it finally hits.
I listened to it on a typical Samsung TV set at it still sounds bad. So maybe it is my cable provider but again shows such as NCIS and NCIS Los Angles sound great. FWIW

One thing I noticed is that the dialog volume is all over the place on Star Trek Discovery but more "normalized" on NCIS.
Old 3 days ago
  #24
Gear Addict
Thomas do you have Netflix? I had a very quick listen to a bit of an episode and it seemed fine to me. If you could check it on there you’d be able to tell if it’s your cable provider affecting the audio in some way.
Old 2 days ago
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
Thomas do you have Netflix? I had a very quick listen to a bit of an episode and it seemed fine to me. If you could check it on there you’d be able to tell if it’s your cable provider affecting the audio in some way.
I just stopped my NetFlix subscription.

I have a very good relationship with my local cable provider and the two techs that work there are good friends and they said they are "doing nothing to the signal and just put through what the provider sends them" I am watching these episodes on CBS All Access so it is coming in digital form to my ROKU and from there to my Panasonic TV with the digital audio being split between my monitors and my surround setup. Other shows sound GREAT it is just Star Trek Discovery that sounds bad. FWIW
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
nowaysj / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
156
imgoinmad / Post Production forum
3
Jfriah / Post Production forum
3
TocaLaGuitara / Post Production forum
64

Forum Jump
Forum Jump